Hartlepoool (home)

Maybe time to give Tarkowski a game, but who for - Diamond or Clarke ?

I'd say Diamond, he's certainly improved since earlier in the season but his lack of mobility alongside Tarky would leave us very exposed. Clarke isn't really fast but is decent without being great in all areas of defending. That's assuming that we are intending to extend his loan, which I hope we do.

Would like to see Tarky develop into being a first team regular by the end of this season if possible. Given our league position it would be as good a time as any to give him more minutes in the coming months.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe time to give Tarkowski a game, but who for - Diamond or Clarke ?

Diamond....and then Mvoto in for Clarke.

Actually quite confident with any combination in defence (except Parker at right back - a waste of a useful attacking player).

Our midfield and strikers need to step up. We need Parker in midfield and another striker from somewhere to partner Shefqi.

I don't think the chemistry is right with Scapuzzi - grit and determination is what we need and I'm not sure he brings that to the party.

That was typical Latics....get a half decent crowd in and play like 11 strangers! Tactically we are a bloody shambles and yet again our home form has been abysmal My son came with me yesterday and has yett to witness a league victory!!!

We have injuries in key positions but you cannot use it as a reason for yesterday's debacle.....we have players out there who haven't a clue as to what they should be doing, Dickov's been raving about the players in training but put them in a competitive game and it all goes tits up!

We played 4 4 2 ish again yesterday by putting square pegs in round holes, surely Parker and Mellor would be better suited playing as wingbacks so why not play Tarky in a back three. We are so so predictable and must seem like cannon fodder to visiting scouts/managers.

As for individual performances it would be difficult to pick out anybody that played with any purpose. Diamond was earlier described as similar to Guy Branston...I don't think he's that good,he couldn't pass water and is truly awful...the standard in the SPL must be shocking!

Morais is Morais, all fancy tricks and flicks and little else...he is 100mph every time he gets the ball and it is plain to see why he's been here there and everywhere. Furman tried hard as usual but without Weolowski had no support whatsoever but the lack of movement up top was a big factor.

I feel really sorry for Smith who always gets the last few minutes when we are invariably chasing the game and it must be really frustrating for the lad...he never received the ball once when facing goal and instead had to constantly try and get on the end of hopeful punts up field from Diamond and Clarke whose only other options were a sideways pass or one back to the keeper such was the lack of movement further up the pitch.

Kuqi has been a cracking signing as far as goals are concerned but the lack of service from ineffective wingers has resulted in him dropping deep to get the ball and this has confirmed that he will only continue to be effective for us when he is in and around the penalty area!

We have key players to come back into the side like Reid, Diallo, Mvoto and hopefully Simpson and.once we are back to full strength we should be OK, however, unless our inconsistencies can be addressed and our tactical prowess improved another mid table finish beckons.

A good performance at Anfield and a Wembley appearance in the JPT would be regarded as a cracking season and the monies raised could enable us to have another assault at getting ourselves into the Championship. It will be Dickov's third season in charge and if we could keep the nucleus of this team and add a little more quality in key areas we could hopefully achieve our goal

That was typical Latics....get a half decent crowd in and play like 11 strangers! Tactically we are a bloody shambles and yet again our home form has been abysmal My son came with me yesterday and has yett to witness a league victory!!!

We have injuries in key positions but you cannot use it as a reason for yesterday's debacle.....we have players out there who haven't a clue as to what they should be doing, Dickov's been raving about the players in training but put them in a competitive game and it all goes tits up!

We played 4 4 2 ish again yesterday by putting square pegs in round holes, surely Parker and Mellor would be better suited playing as wingbacks so why not play Tarky in a back three. We are so so predictable and must seem like cannon fodder to visiting scouts/managers.

As for individual performances it would be difficult to pick out anybody that played with any purpose. Diamond was earlier described as similar to Guy Branston...I don't think he's that good,he couldn't pass water and is truly awful...the standard in the SPL must be shocking!

Morais is Morais, all fancy tricks and flicks and little else...he is 100mph every time he gets the ball and it is plain to see why he's been here there and everywhere. Furman tried hard as usual but without Weolowski had no support whatsoever but the lack of movement up top was a big factor.

I feel really sorry for Smith who always gets the last few minutes when we are invariably chasing the game and it must be really frustrating for the lad...he never received the ball once when facing goal and instead had to constantly try and get on the end of hopeful punts up field from Diamond and Clarke whose only other options were a sideways pass or one back to the keeper such was the lack of movement further up the pitch.

Kuqi has been a cracking signing as far as goals are concerned but the lack of service from ineffective wingers has resulted in him dropping deep to get the ball and this has confirmed that he will only continue to be effective for us when he is in and around the penalty area!

We have key players to come back into the side like Reid, Diallo, Mvoto and hopefully Simpson and.once we are back to full strength we should be OK, however, unless our inconsistencies can be addressed and our tactical prowess improved another mid table finish beckons.

A good performance at Anfield and a Wembley appearance in the JPT would be regarded as a cracking season and the monies raised could enable us to have another assault at getting ourselves into the Championship. It will be Dickov's third season in charge and if we could keep the nucleus of this team and add a little more quality in key areas we could hopefully achieve our goal

Well said OAFC1955 I could not have put it better. Me and my son came up from Bristol for the game. Typical latics when they get a half decent crowd they go and blow it. I dont mind losing its just that there was no passion or commitment.Felt totally deflated and let down by the lads today. Also noticed the complete lack of atmosphere by the club in any pre match build up. Time they woke up to the fact that they are in the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS and are in competition with countless others for our money. I just want to feel good at being with my football club and it didnt cut it today.

We are nowhere near good enough for the play offs and were never going to be on our budget!

Anyone who thought we were needs to see a quack! :grin:

you best have a word with dickov his staff n the players then,cos they all been bangin on about playoffs for a while now.....even though 99% of us fans know it aint gonna happen.....

why didnt mvoto play??? was named in 18 man squad then not even on the bench????

id rest kuqi for county and give smith a run out....hes 35 and needs a rest...

cant single anyone out for praise really from yesterday,all as bad as each other.....only decision i have to make is wether to waste another 20 quid on saturday.

Good summary.

The one thing that has been mentioned but not explored further is Dickov's sluggish performance yesterday - he spent the majority of the game sitting down - even when on his feet he was extremely quiet. He seemed to have no sense of urgency or indeed any idea on how to change it around.

Mellor should not have started - Black was on the bench and presumably fit so why keep him there?

Parker is not a full back - constantly out of position and only his pace allowed him to recover.

Why not play Tarkowski? Stick Clarke at full back and push Parker forward?

Why start with Scapuzzi? He is a clever player with great feet but little power and would be far better coming off the bench late on.

And as for the Flyin' Finn - he never stops trying but needs support and needs to ease back on the chasing all over the pitch to conserve his thirty five year old legs methinks.

In Dickov we trust? Maybe but he definitely had a bad day at the office too yesterday - all in all, Furman apart, it was a horror show. :blink:

To be honest Smith hasn't got the skill or pace for the ball to be played on the floor. He never seems to get out of first gear. We need another attacking option because Smith isn't the answer at the moment.

cant single anyone out for praise really from yesterday,all as bad as each other.....only decision i have to make is wether to waste another 20 quid on saturday.

To be fair whenever we've played poorly this season the players have been given a kick up the arse and have usually put in a good performance the following game (beating Scunthorpe away after losing at Yeovil, decent draw v Huddersfield after losing at Colchester, beating Scunthorpe away again then beating MK Dons after losing to Brentford and Exeter). I'd say it's worth your while going, but i would say that.

Another thing we learned yesterday: Scapuzzi isn't a striker. Sure he's got the skill, but he hasn't got the head for it. After he missed that one-on-one, he disappeared and didn't do anything right. Surprised it took so long to get him off the park.

I suspect he'd have been on the left with Taylor up top if Black had been fit enough to start.

I suspect he'd have been on the left with Taylor up top if Black had been fit enough to start.

If Black is not fit enough to start then I'm not sure he would be on the bench? I know we have an injury crisis (Reid, Diallo, MVoto, Lee, Winchester and now Wesolowski)but half fit players are no use to anyone.

Just got to hope that Lee & Black are back soon and that Dickov realizes it's time to rest Scapuzzi and maybe even give Tarkowski a game.

Also - what is the earliest we could (if all goes well) see Simpson back in a Latics shirt? Chesterfield away?

Edited by TheBigDog

Also - what is the earliest we could (if all goes well) see Simpson back in a Latics shirt? Chesterfield away?

Window opens 1st January and closes 31st January.

I assume the relevant bodies are available to process registrations on bank holidays!

Edited by opinions4u

To be honest Smith hasn't got the skill or pace for the ball to be played on the floor. He never seems to get out of first gear. We need another attacking option because Smith isn't the answer at the moment.

I wasn't saying play it to him on the floor, what I said was when he recieves the ball he always has his back to goal....I think if the service was better from out wide and the wingers got their crosses over regularly Smith would get on the end of a few!!

I wasn't saying play it to him on the floor, what I said was when he recieves the ball he always has his back to goal....I think if the service was better from out wide and the wingers got their crosses over regularly Smith would get on the end of a few!!

Latics wingers fiddle about too much instead of getting crosses in.

Edited by BP1960

Latics wingers fiddle about to much instead of getting crosses in.

Very true. But, as wingers go, there are a lot worse in this division.

The return of Simpson cannot come soon enough. His delivery is everything to this side.

Edited by opinions4u

Latics wingers fiddle about too much instead of getting crosses in.

And therein lies our problem - if we had wingers who received the ball and had one thing in mind which is to get a cross in (of any description), then the strikers and midfielders would all know to get in the box and gamble on making runs into various areas.

Parker does try to cross when he can (and when his concentration allows him to), but taylor does fcuk all and morais takes about 10 minutes to flip-flap his own arse before using his undoubted ability to put a cross in.

No wonder Kuqi gets peed off with the team and is knackered when he has to do all the work himself.

Get the wingers out and get 2 proper wingers in in the summer please PD

taylor does fcuk all

I suppose the cross from the left that created the goal that earned a point away from home at the league leaders last week gets overlooked then.

And let's not forget the goal that earned this football club its most valuable match since ... well, on income from gate receipts, possibly ever.

Edited by opinions4u

I suppose the cross from the left that created the goal that earned a point away from home at the league leaders last week gets overlooked then.

And let's not forget the goal that earned this football club its most valuable match since ... well, on income from gate receipts, possibly ever.

All of which is true but I've never seen a player regress as much as Taylor. He's nowhere near the player he was in his debut season. Would struggle to beat an egg probably because he spends 90% of the game running around with his arms out shouting at the ref. Back to basics son, run at people and get crosses in.

a 6 yard pass and put-your-foot-through-it-which-anyone-can-do from 8 yards

whoopdy doo, i bow down to you taylor, you are fantastic...........

take those blinkers off and see him for what he is - a willing trier but no better than average. He doesn't do his job of supplying our strikers with crosses, and the same goes for the right winger.

Not slagging him off as he is what he is, a fantastic on-field actor when it comes to injuries and telling the ref to f-off over a throw-in, when if he had a brain the ability he potentitally has could actually make him a decent player to have.

by no means is he the worst we've ever had, i just don't buy into this 'chris taylor is an oldham fan and so he is our best player and can never be bad-mouthed' (or dropped if you are PD).

Robbie Simpson is a far more effectual and technically skillful player and asset to the team than taylor, without question - the last game has proved that, even the southend replay showed how we miss his link play as it takes the team to that next level. Taylor being in the team doesn't make us any better - we didn't exactly miss him when he wasn't playing.

I clearly know nothing about football.

Latics are a poorer side without Taylor than with him.

I know it's disappointing that he hasn't turned in to Gareth Bale, but sometime's life in the :censored: leagues is like that.

Edited by opinions4u