Fan of the year nominations

Fair play to anyone who wins it but what a horrible concept.

If you go and watch your team home and away every week and spend that time cheering them on then you deserve to be classed as 'Fan of the Year'. The problem is that there are hundreds of people up and down the country who fit into this category. How can you possibly say that one is better than another.

If you go and watch your team home and away every week and spend that time cheering them on then you deserve to be classed as 'Fan of the Year'. The problem is that there are hundreds of people up and down the country who fit into this category. How can you possibly say that one is better than another.

npower are looking for someone who has "gone the extra mile". If anyone has made the effort to watch their Club more than Museum de Latique's 126 games in twelve months, then they deserve the title.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I think with the current Financial Climate some people deserve some respect for putting their disposable incomes into the club, especially those clubs who are really struggling because as much as some people will turn their nose up at them every clubs needs these sort of people backing them

I think with the current Financial Climate some people deserve some respect for putting their disposable incomes into the club, especially those clubs who are really struggling because as much as some people will turn their nose up at them every clubs needs these sort of people backing them

People should go and watch as much football as they enjoy/can afford. Why pick out one fan as being better than others?

Even if I had the inclination to attend a million games in one season, I've got a full-time job, two kids and university studies to accommodate in my time/finances. Does that make the fan who has more time and disposal income than me a better class of fan?

People should go and watch as much football as they enjoy/can afford. Why pick out one fan as being better than others?

Even if I had the inclination to attend a million games in one season, I've got a full-time job, two kids and university studies to accommodate in my time/finances. Does that make the fan who has more time and disposal income than me a better class of fan?

depends on the situation. I see your point of view and I'll freely admit I can't make every game but at the end of the day the club along with the game is a busines and if I ran a business I'd probably have more respect for a regular customer than an occasional customer it's just human nature.

depends on the situation. I see your point of view and I'll freely admit I can't make every game but at the end of the day the club along with the game is a busines and if I ran a business I'd probably have more respect for a regular customer than an occasional customer it's just human nature.

This is kind of my point. While the game, in its modern Sky-led form, promotes this idea that the affluent fan is the only fan who matters, this award is voted for by fellow fans. Why should the fans vote for someone who simply has more time and money to attend more frequently than others?

Admittedly, if I had both the time and money, I still wouldn't be following the reserves and youth team all over the place.

Admittedly, if I had both the time and money, I still wouldn't be following the reserves and youth team all over the place.

Neither would I, but people set themselves all sorts of challenges, and get pleasure from doing the most unusual things. I know one Latics fan who, if he attends the first match of the season, attends every game. If he misses the first, he does not attend any! Truth is stranger than fiction.

It's a 'Fan of the Year' contest. 'Fan' = fanatic, which implies obsessive behaviour. In addition to being a logistical nightmare, to attend 126 games in twelve months has to be an obsession. I think it's an obsession that will take some beating and that's why I nominated him.

It's not about being better than any other fan. It's about someone "going the extra mile" in support of their club. It could be someone who has not attended any games but supported their club in outstanding ways.

Whist not meaning miles = distance, there's no doubting the number of extra miles gone by the nominee.

Yes. Essentially you are asking if somebody goes more than somebody else, are they a better fan? Yes.

God damn it....what about me?....will someone pay attention to me? :)

Surely I deserve a mention after being locked in a cupboard by Alan for all these years, and having to be beaten by Gordon on a sometimes daily basis with a belt made out of licorice.

Seriously though, it's not about how many times you attend. Someone who has a disposable income and time to attend in my eyes isn't always as big a fanatic as someone who would pay for a ticket with money needed to buy food to live. There are plenty of people who could be nominated for this......but NOT people who get paid to do anything at the club :)

God damn it....what about me?....will someone pay attention to me? :)

Surely I deserve a mention after being locked in a cupboard by Alan for all these years, and having to be beaten by Gordon on a sometimes daily basis with a belt made out of licorice.[/b]

The onset of Stockholm syndrome made it easier, I'll bet.