First Latics Match

Oldham 5-2 Charlton

13th August 1994

A goal from Sharpe, a double from Sean McCarthy and two screamers from Lee Richardson.

That was a belter , for your first game.

First match after being relegated, with Lee Richardson & Billy Kenny in midfield?

Mind that was as good as that miserable season got.

Seem to remember a decent game soon after - home against Burnley. Also a McCarthy hat trick away against Notts County?

It was the Saturday before pal, Marlon Beresford took Nicky Henry out when clean through on goal in the first half. Nicky dusted himself off, Beresford was stretchered off, but also red carded as he left the field! Wayne Russell went in goal and it took three second half goals to despatch the Yellow Clad clarets, a brace (One pen) from McCarthy and Stitch scored the first. I remember McCarthy was reported for inciting the crowd after Burnley complained about his somersault celebration right in front of them. Sean realised his mistake and ran to the Paddock! Don't think anything came of the complaint!

Following Tuesday night saw us off to Meadow Lane - our graveyard (or so we thought) Former Rangers striker, Gary McSwegan put the magpies in front, before McCarthy equalised right on HT - a goal the stadium announcer strangely gave to Mark Brennan. In the second half a bullet header from a corner and a blockbuster from 20 odd yards (when he pushed Mark Brennan out of the way) saw him wrap up the points and the match-ball. With three wins out four this result saw us top the league. The wheels soon came off with four straight defeats starting with a last second loss at Southend the following Saturday, thanks to Ricky Otto's late strike. Too often a thorn in our side!

First match for me was October 94 away at West Brom, I was 5 years old and the Hawthorns seemed massive! We lost 3-1 but I didn't see any of the goals as I was in the West Brom end and fans in front of me stood up as the just before the goals went in!

First ever Latics memory was of the 93/94 game at Swindon, my brother and dad were inside the ground and me and my mum were waiting outside the ground for them. The "big" floodlights and noise from inside the ground got me hooked on the football atmosphere!

Funny, I remember that away game as well. Would've been 11 at the time so wouldn't have got to many away grounds then. The boing, boing was loud and the ground good. We were in the corner stood up I trhink.

First home was Leeds at home, 86, we won 4-1. Rememeber nowt of that game. First memories are of bein sat in the Main stand and the car that used to go round the pitch at half time.

Really started to enjoy it 89/90... Unsuprisingly

The very first game of the 1950/51 season. Dad took me in the Chaddy as it was his favourite spot although in those days, you could walk round the back of the Broadway stand to the other end so you were always behind the goal we were attacking. It was a bit of a dash if we attacked the RRE in the first half.

It was a month short of my 6th birthday and we lost 4-5 to Rotherham. I have to be honest, I couldn't remember all the finer details, but I recall goals appeared to be scored every few minutes and I'd never seen so many people in one place before. It seemed an impossible number to imagine. but a quick check has shown that there were over 19,000 there that day.

I was hooked and, from that day on, I couldn't wait for Saturdays to come round. We went to a fair few away games too and, although some of the memories are a bit hazy now, I remember there always seemed to be a lot of goals scored. Recall is helped, along with many other books in my collection, by Stewart W Beckett's excellent Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - A 100 Year Journey which shows that we had a goal difference of 0 that season. We scored 73 and conceded 73!

Happy days.

sometime towards the very end of the 57/58 (last Div 3 north) season midweek against Hull at home. It was to prove a prophetic Latics experience. Pre floodlights, kickoff was at 5.30 to give time for those ending their factory shift at 5.00. Stood in the Rochdale road end and can't remember the exact timings but the score was 1-1 late in the game when the ref awarded a highly contentious penalty to Hull at our end. All the players and officials were arguing, with the ball on the spot when a frustrated spectator in a mack, wearing a flat cap and carrying his 'snap tin' climbed quietly over the wall, went onto the pitch and booted the ball up to the halfway line. Needless to say (no arrest) and Hull scored. That point would have put us in Div 3 rather than 4.

First game: Stoke at home. Early-mid 80's. Sat in the Main Stand and I think we got beat. I faintly recall players such as Ron Futcher, Tony Henry, Gary Hoolakin, Mick Maguire being in the matchday programme.

First away game: Blackburn away. About '86. We stood in the Blackburn end at the side where the players come out. Think we also lost that one, 0-1. No doubt Simon Garner scored.

First away game travelling on my own: Wolves away. August 1990. My dad let me travel on Barlows on my own this season and it was the game that kicked off the Championshop season.

1-1 and missed Neil Redfearn's opener as had to go on an unexpected mile-long hike through some allotments to get to the away end at Vicarage Road.

God yeah. Behind the away end. The coaches used to park at this little clearing behind those allotments. And a path meandered all the way through to the turnstiles. Similar to the way Millwall is now, except swap the allotments for general urban decay and South London scuzzyness.