Season ticket holders - do you want "compensating"?

Season ticket holders...  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want compensating?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep your compensation Simon, I don't want it. I renew my season ticket every season and have done for 20 years, and for that I get a guaranteed seat, about £10 off the pay-on-the-gate price, money off vouchers for the club shop and priority tickets for the occasional big match. I am more than happy with that thanks Simon. I'm sure you're taking a fair old hit on this as it is without shelling out more. If it wasn't for you i'd have no club to support anyhow so hat off to you. Great gesture. I don't care how much the person next to me has paid to get in, as long as the stadium is full and the atmosphere is a rocking. Come on you bluuuueeeeeesssss...

Although I agree on the vicious circle, I think your slightly harsh on saying it's people that don't put money front that are to blame for the clubs situation. Not everyone's fortunate enough to be able to afford that sort of cash.

It's not "fortune" it's budgeting and forward planning.

The Season before my first ever ST I cut back on away games and missed the odd home match too, putting the money saved to one side.

This, coupled with other savings (eg one pint a week less = £100 per year approx) enabled me to fund that all important first ST.

From then on I set up a monthly standing order for a few quid to enable me to keep buying STs year on year without feeling the pinch. It;s like paying my Gas or Water bill now - just part of my monthly outgoings.

For the record, I'm not interested in any "compensation" either. I just want the people of Oldham to show up and prove that the town desrves a League club and to demonstrate to any potential investors that we are worth it.

No compo expected or required for me.

I bought my ST knowing I would miss lot of games due to work commitments but wanted to support my club. The Liverpool tickets were my bonus for that!

I think it's a good to see anything that encourages more support into the club. If the new or lapsed supporters like what they see, they may well come back for more. We certainly can't manage on meagre 2,500 crowds, so something has to be done - and anything that helps the overall match atmosphere has to be encouraged.

Incidentally, I bought a car and six months later, an identical model was £5K cheaper - I wasn't offered any compo then, neither did I expect to receive any - what's different about this ?

The only thing is with season tickets is the gamble being taken.

Maybe get some people that turn up with the offer continue to buy entrance from now on.

But, take away those season ticket holders who do their sums and figure because they miss a couple of games a season and there are these offers going on think it's no longer in their financial interests to get another one next year. And risk losing a fair chunk of their money if the season is over by the time we get beaten in the Leyland Daf and just pick their games then.

Ticket pricing is always a gamble one way or another though.

Lets face it, the season is over come the 3rd week of August. We're 3rd division, if I'm looking for the thrills and spills of an exciting season I'd go down the road. Most of us made a bad choice when we were kids and as a result we're stuck with being bleeding latics fans and sitting in the coldest possible spot in the North west for 2 hours every other week (twice a week if we're really unlucky).

Every few years the sun shines on this dogs arse and we get a bit of a fillip, a good cup draw, a run in the cup, a stab at the top 6 or a signing or kid comes through that reminds you that you are allowed to enjoy watching men kick a bag of wind around but these brief highlights are few and far between.

The rest is pretty dire fair, but it gets you out of the house on a Saturday and occasionally gets the blood pumping for a bit, sometimes we have a decent sing song or a laugh at some "terrace wit" before doing battle with your fellow like-minded comrades as you barge each other out of the way to get out of the suspension knackering carpark before your bits drop off.

The rest is pretty dire fair, but it gets you out of the house on a Saturday and occasionally gets the blood pumping for a bit, sometimes we have a decent sing song or a laugh at some "terrace wit" before doing battle with your fellow like-minded comrades as you barge each other out of the way to get out of the suspension knackering carpark before your bits drop off.

I boycotted Franchise FC last week, so I can't wait to get back to BP to experience all this.

But, take away those season ticket holders who do their sums and figure because they miss a couple of games a season and there are these offers going on think it's no longer in their financial interests to get another one next year. And risk losing a fair chunk of their money if the season is over by the time we get beaten in the Leyland Daf and just pick their games then.

A point i tried to make on the longer post regarding this deal....

Investing on getting non ST holders through the door will ALWAYS be necessary, but if you drop the ball and take away the financial incentives of a high percentage of the core fans (some core fans pay every week of course), you start to lose the base on which your building on....once that happens its a slippery slope. I personally will not be getting a season ticket next year due to circumstances changing with my work. I probably would have done as it will only affect the odd tuesday night game, but i'll take the gamble next year that a deal will make it more worthwhile not getting a season ticket like this year would have been.

I'm a season ticket holder and think that this is great and a real gesture to get a good number of fans in through the door. I don't want compensating and i have been fully welcoming of all previous deals and incetives. There is a real risk though of beginning to alienate the core support. I will be getting a ST next season but not necessarily thinking twice about going it has made me ponder a little. Currently I have a season ticket and work other arrangements around that. The real danger is that I might in the future be tempted to switch that. I feel that was is needed is a real grand gesture that truly does affect ALL Oldham supporters and that can only be done in the form of season tickets at £150 or similar for a season. As had been said before that simply isn't feasable. Catch 22!

Lets face it, the season is over come the 3rd week of August. We're 3rd division, if I'm looking for the thrills and spills of an exciting season I'd go down the road. Most of us made a bad choice when we were kids and as a result we're stuck with being bleeding latics fans and sitting in the coldest possible spot in the North west for 2 hours every other week (twice a week if we're really unlucky).

Every few years the sun shines on this dogs arse and we get a bit of a fillip, a good cup draw, a run in the cup, a stab at the top 6 or a signing or kid comes through that reminds you that you are allowed to enjoy watching men kick a bag of wind around but these brief highlights are few and far between.

It was not a choice I made - more of a gradual introduction to BP by my dad - first game Shrewsbury at home - lost 1-0, second game Mansfield at home - drew 0-0 - and I was hooked...

I'm alright for compo.

Wouldn't mind some recognition though for having a season ticket during the Dave Penney era and renewing it after.

This recognition could be something as humble as a statue of me outside the shop to naming the stadium after me.

Tripod.

Could we get a fan row of statues for all of us who went through the above and came out the other side still renewing

and, could the chap who makes the statues be the same guy who made the Michael Jackson one outside Fulham's ground - as that is one classy 'tue!!!!

The only way I want compensating is by performances on the pitch, I pay my money for my season ticket to help the team through the summer months, guarantee me tickets if we get a big game and save me faffing about for the cash on a Saturday.

There aren't enough people like me willing to put the money in up front and that is why the club is in the position that it is. We're into lamp rubbing time and hoping for a miracle. The vicious circle of low budget > worse players > low crowds > low budget > worse players > low crowds > low budget.... just rumbles on.

This /\

I will have to have a good old debate over the close season as to whether i renew or not - but this offer isn't the reason for that.

I've missed 5 games this season through work, and it looks like with these re-arranged Tuesday games; it'll be another 2 before the season closes. 7 games off the price of the ST & i'm already into whether it makes sense for me to renew finacially. Offers like the one just launched would only add weight to the against arguement; but it hasn't driven it if that makes sense.

I will be tempted to hand my cash over, as I'm fully aware the club needs my money over the summer - and the benifit of being a ST holder really kicked in with the Anfield tickets. But - i think the main reason I can see for renewing is not because I love it so much; not because I love where i sit so much, not because I love the side so much; or that the football product pulls me back.....it's becuase if I didn't renew & went to pay on the day / pick & choose - then i worry I would fade away to become a lapsed fan who goes only a few times a season. The season ticket binds me to going every game I can. Pay on the day wouldn't do that.....and I'd probably drift away.....and at the moment; I dont want to drift.

I'm alright for compo.

Wouldn't mind some recognition though for having a season ticket during the Dave Penney era and renewing it after.

Yeah i'm still annoyed that those of us who renewed in the April when Penney was still in charge didn't get free tickets for Anfield.

Seriously, though, really can't understand why any ST holders would be annoyed about this offer. If you care enough about the club to cough up £300 every summer and commit to going to every home league game, you obviously care about the club's future and want us to attract as many fans as we can. And none of us enjoy sitting in an empty ground. The offer's a great move by the club, the only compensation i'm hoping for is a decent crowd and atmosphere and hopefully some performances that make people want to come back.

Yeah i'm still annoyed that those of us who renewed in the April when Penney was still in charge didn't get free tickets for Anfield.

Seriously, though, really can't understand why any ST holders would be annoyed about this offer. If you care enough about the club to cough up £300 every summer and commit to going to every home league game, you obviously care about the club's future and want us to attract as many fans as we can. And none of us enjoy sitting in an empty ground. The offer's a great move by the club, the only compensation i'm hoping for is a decent crowd and atmosphere and hopefully some performances that make people want to come back.

I am not a season ticket holder so cannot comment on the merits of compensation or not, but it si heartening to see all those that are not looking for compensation.

A great offer by Simon Corney.

Maybe this could be turned into a good marketing and good business opportunity.

Perhaps a sliding scale based on number of seasons renewing say for a week or month only.

SAy £10 for a 1st year renewal, £20 for 5 years, £30 for 10 years, etc.

Not a massive hit finanancially to the club, but a recognising those that are the stalwarts of the club.

Edited by singe

Free pie and a pint!

I'd be more than happy with that. I'm a season ticket holder at the moment but there's been seasons and will be seasons when I mdon't have one. I've taken up offers similar previously and will do again. No issues with it. With the run of games coming up and the Tuesday night glamour ties it'd been daft not to do it.