Question of the week - addition 1

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you substitute trying to play football for success

• Yes - Anything to get out this league
    • No - I would rather try and play and entertain

Every week always try and write at least 1 thread on here with bit of an idea or question so thought might as well make it a regualr thing follow on from things like most hated manager in league 1 etc

So this week simple one

Would you substitute trying to play football for success i.e Stoke City or Sam Aladayce teams?

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Every week always try and write at least 1 thread on here with bit of an idea or question so thought might as well make it a regualr thing follow on from things like most hated manager in league 1 etc

So this week simple one

Would you substitute trying to play football for success i.e Stoke City or Sam Aladayce teams?

We are a lower league side. There is a myth around us that we play good football and we always have in this division. We haven't.

Under shez we did for about 6 months, but it reverted to the usual. Stoke play better football that most league one sides. They just don't play it as nicely as most premier league sides.

Ronnie Moore was pillaried for the "style" - results were miles better than the year before (baring the odd one) and I didn't moan.

Edited by pukka

I would agrue having been to see stoke this season they play very very little football pukka, they have some good players no doubt but shawcross, huth & walters but to name a few do very little than try and intimedate players and rough them up for 90mins

Each to their own they are undoubtable better than us, the question is more one of would you go down that route if it potentially made us more successful

Not for one min would it bring success, i personally would rather try and play football which we do at Latics ok its far from great but we try and play the right way

When was at MK last week was hugely impressed how they pass and move and movement so can be a successful at this level if you have the right players which unfortunatley our budget doesnt allow and swansea in the prem have done the same

MK this year, Wigan / Crewe 2003 and Donny a few years ago are exceptions to the rule. The better sides (more confident) will play better than a lot of others - but I have watched stoke a few times and they nip it about. They are prepared to mix it though - admittedly.

I suppose it all comes down to personal choice and if you want to be entertained at your club.

If we had stuck with ronnie moore and his type of football, then i'm not sure i'd have been the regular that i am now.It bored the pants off me.

That's just me though.....opinions and that...

I have been as bored at times this season and at times last year as I was under ronnie to be honest.

To be fair, so have i.The myth of us playing flowing football is at best..sporadic.

The annoying thing is when we do get the ball down we look so much better and are more effective.

To be fair, so have i.The myth of us playing flowing football is at best..sporadic.

The annoying thing is when we do get the ball down we look so much better and are more effective.

100% agreed.

I'd take less pretty football if it created more chances on goal and decent results. The problem with Ronnie's hoofball was that it was tactically inept given the players we had. Likewise with Dave, playing for a draw or a 1-0 win if things go your way is bad enough on the eye but you know you are likely enough going to let one in and get sod all out of the game, that's the worst part. Nobody would mind if we scored 3 every week by lumping long balls into the box.

Im gald there is a bit of a split on the voting thats why i started the thread :)

I pose the next question would you accept a poor player who could throw the ball in the box and create chances as good as if not more accurate than a corner like a delap (although he aint the worst player in the prem) if smith, kuqi alike could then make 20 goals a peice from doing it?

I sure as hell would, anyone rememeber dave chalinor at trannies!!!!!

Im gald there is a bit of a split on the voting thats why i started the thread :)

I pose the next question would you accept a poor player who could throw the ball in the box and create chances as good as if not more accurate than a corner like a delap (although he aint the worst player in the prem) if smith, kuqi alike could then make 20 goals a peice from doing it?

I sure as hell would, anyone rememeber dave chalinor at trannies!!!!!

If it worked, yes.

To put in another way, if we had such a player and we scored regularly from such throw ins, but then we dropped him and the goals dried up. Would anyone see that to be a positive decision?

It depends how the "ugly Football" is implicated you have to have strong individuals within your side who are prepared to battle but long balls for the big man to flick onto the small man and playing a rigid 4-4-2 to me are a thing of the past and very predictable to play against (which is where Ronnie got found out). There's things I'd keep such as having someone who can throw a long ball into the area, I prefer corners which are put into the box and when you've got players who can play 40-50 yard passes (rather than aimless punts). Plus people complain on here when strikers drop into the hole behind the oppositions defence and midfield don't understand that they're doing it to drag a player out of position which I think is our problem atm because we don't have Furman or Wesolowski who can play a defensive midfield role, watch on Saturday for James Beattie doing exactly this

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I go to games to be entertained. I couldn't give a toss about success, otherwise I wouldn't support Oldham. I'd much rather see us trying to play football the right way. I hate the Stoke style of football, awful to watch. Sums up why English football has stunted, why play technical football when you can just hoof it into the box?

I consider giving a kidney to get out of this horrible divison. If 'hoof' ball guaranteed it, it would be a no-brainer.. As it is, I don't see us going anywhere at present.. Sad as it sounds.

Agree that this season we look better when we get it on the ground (at times).. We wouldn't have the players in the team to play the 'big/strong/physical' game, as it stands I'd sooner we just keep having a go and play 12 minutes good football every 90..

As for Stoke, I'd take that any day of the week

I go to games to be entertained. I couldn't give a toss about success, otherwise I wouldn't support Oldham. I'd much rather see us trying to play football the right way. I hate the Stoke style of football, awful to watch. Sums up why English football has stunted, why play technical football when you can just hoof it into the box?

That suggests we are more entertained than Stoke fans.. Come on?

That suggests we are more entertained than Stoke fans.. Come on?

With Stoke, I reckon many people turn up to watch them matched against quality opposition.

That's not on offer at Boundary Park. Walsall and Tranmere in particular are two of the most God-awful sides going, with us marginally better.

I'd still prefer us to do things the "right" way rather than hoof it.

To be fair they've always had relatively decent crowds.. Think I went there on a NY's day last and at a guess I bet their was 13,000.. Purely a guess and stats will probably shoot down my argument.

I'm not advocating the long ball game but if it meant getting anywhere near to what Stoke have achieved I'd happily watch it.

I go to games to be entertained. I couldn't give a toss about success, otherwise I wouldn't support Oldham. I'd much rather see us trying to play football the right way.

not known anything different than this league personally, but i reckon if we went up by hoofing, but then came straight back down with no points we'd be in a worse position than building a decent squad playing decent football. i'd prefer to wait a few seasons with a manager like dickov who'll get us playing a good way instead of getting up quick and coming back down with a different manager who'll have to start all over again

Substance over style would be fine with me.

However

The thing is that creating that kind of side might mean undergoing a 3 year plan so we may have to sit through 2 seasons of utter dross before we get to the season where the manager has his side in place and playing the way he wants too and can have a proper go at promotion.

The Ronnie Moore season was a pretty uninspiring season however had we given him that second season and a 3rd he may have fully implemented his plan and who knows in that 3rd season we might have played some football by that point. Ultimately the impatiance of the Boundary Park crowd will have got that manager sacked.

A common myth aswell is that to get out of this division is that you have to substitute style over substance, someone must have forgot to tell Peterborough last season. Ofcourse you need to have a few lads in their who have a physical presence because sometimes the game and the opposition require that. But its not necessarily the biggest team that gets out of the league its the best which is the side that can get wins home and away by playing fantastic football and can when required grind out wins.

Substance over style would be fine with me.

However

The thing is that creating that kind of side might mean undergoing a 3 year plan so we may have to sit through 2 seasons of utter dross before we get to the season where the manager has his side in place and playing the way he wants too and can have a proper go at promotion.

The Ronnie Moore season was a pretty uninspiring season however had we given him that second season and a 3rd he may have fully implemented his plan and who knows in that 3rd season we might have played some football by that point. Ultimately the impatiance of the Boundary Park crowd will have got that manager sacked.

A common myth aswell is that to get out of this division is that you have to substitute style over substance, someone must have forgot to tell Peterborough last season. Ofcourse you need to have a few lads in their who have a physical presence because sometimes the game and the opposition require that. But its not necessarily the biggest team that gets out of the league its the best which is the side that can get wins home and away by playing fantastic football and can when required grind out wins.

1.) It was the impatience of the landlords who got him sacked and looked at the season bottom line instead of giving him a bit longer to get the team out of the division. We came 6th the season after he got fired, who did Shez bring in? With Ronnie we might not have played as pretty football but we'd have done better than 6th after starting so well.

2.) Peterborough played some decent football but they could mix it when they wanted. They got out of this division by having the money to buy players who were better than the quality in this division and being able to keep them after having a year in the Championship a few years ago. Its the same with almost every team that has got promoted in recent times from this division- they had money. Southampton spent £1million on Rickie Lambert a week after coming out of administration, Charlton this season spent money (they spent £600k in one day over the summer). Money doesn't guarantee success but it makes things a lot easier.

As to playing pretty football compared to playing ugly football but being successful, I'd take the second one every day of the week. If you want to watch pretty football spend your money going to watch Barcelona/Ajax/Arsenal/Swansea etc. I want Oldham Athletic to do as well as possible, and I don't care how that happens, at the moment given our budget we are doing quite well despite what some people may have you believe.

Ronnie we might not have played as pretty football but we'd have done better than 6th after starting so well.

Would we?

I'm going to contradict myself a little here with what I previously said about giving a manager time to fully implement his ideas (Plan A, B, and C) however Ronnie got 3 years at Tranmere after Oldham and didn't even get them in the play offs he got a couple more years in his second stint at Rotherham and then got sacked again without a promotion.

Would we?

I'm going to contradict myself a little here with what I previously said about giving a manager time to fully implement his ideas (Plan A, B, and C) however Ronnie got 3 years at Tranmere after Oldham and didn't even get them in the play offs he got a couple more years in his second stint at Rotherham and then got sacked again without a promotion.

Was he keeping the ball away from Wellens for the first two seasons so that he would have really wanted it in the triumphant third?