The last time the Bristol Massive (both of us) managed to get to BP (against Bury), it took the bus well over an hour from Manchestoh because of the road works on Oldham Road, somewhere between Miles Platting and Broadway IIRC.

It looked like a major job, so I wonder if it's still going on. As we are coming up for the Yeovil game a Satdi, can someone let me know please because we don't want to be wasting time eating in Manchester if we're going to get stuck in it again.

Aye Thang Yow

Edited by Bristolatic

The last time the Bristol Massive (both of us) managed to get to BP (against Bury), it took the bus well over an hour from Manchestoh because of the road works on Oldham Road, somewhere between Miles Platting and Broadway IIRC.

It looked like a major job, so I wonder if it's still going on. As we are coming up for the Yeovil game a Satdi, can someone let me know please because we don't want to be wasting time eating in Manchester if we're going to get stuck in it again.

Aye Thang Yow

why dont you just get the train from victoria to mills hill? have a beer in the pub accross the road and then a taxi to bp. cost ya between £5 and £10 each max

why dont you just get the train from victoria to mills hill? have a beer in the pub accross the road and then a taxi to bp. cost ya between £5 and £10 each max

The 64 bus goes from Mills Hill station to the Royal Oldham Hospital, usually there's about 15 minutes to wait after leaving the train, just cross the road from the station for the bus.

Here is a good website showing all the Greater Manchester bus services affected by road works, and it has a journey planner on it too.

http://www.tfgm.com/

Here is an example;

http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/journeyplanner/showJourneyDetailsPage.do?rid=1330983278221&hss=Ujn3063385593

Edited by BP1960

Thanks for the suggestion Mr Owl, but we don't get into Piccadilly until 1pm (if it's on time). I'm not sure it would give us enough time, although neither of us are lunchtime drinkers. But if the road works is still going on, Mills Hill might be an idea. I think I can remember my way from Piccalilli to Victoria. How often do they run? To Mills Hill that is.

Thanks for the suggestion Mr Owl, but we don't get into Piccadilly until 1pm (if it's on time). I'm not sure it would give us enough time, although neither of us are lunchtime drinkers. But if the road works is still going on, Mills Hill might be an idea. I think I can remember my way from Piccalilli to Victoria. How often do they run? To Mills Hill that is.

get the metro from picc to vic....every few mins. trains to mills hill usually every half hour or so. will be quicker than bus.

get the metro from picc to vic....every few mins. trains to mills hill usually every half hour or so. will be quicker than bus.

I appreciate the help but I don't think we'd get to Victoria much before about 1:30 and if we just miss a train and have to wait best part of 1/2 hour for another it's cutting it a bit fine. We'd have had nowt to eat either. You don't want to hear my stomach when it's hungry. I'll have a look at the train times to see if it works.

Thanks

The 64 bus goes from Mills Hill station to the Royal Oldham Hospital, usually there's about 15 minutes to wait after leaving the train, just cross the road from the station for the bus.

Here is a good website showing all the Greater Manchester bus services affected by road works, and it has a journey planner on it too.

http://www.tfgm.com/

Here is an example;

http://www.traveline...s=Ujn3063385593

Thanks BP1960. It gives us an alternative if we have enough time as I said to Masked Owl. I'll have a quick shuftie at the links to see if Oldham Road is still a problem as well. Funny thing is, we've previously had enough time to get something to eat in Manchestoh, catch the bus in Lever Street and still have plenty of time. Sure went tits up last time though with the hold ups.

If both of you have to pay bus fares a taxi might not be that much more than the combined public transport fare.

We're both old codgers, Mr Medic, so we have Diamond travel cards and, as we both used to work for First in Bath & Bristol, we have First Retired Persons passes as well. At least we got summat out of the buggers when we retired.

Thanks BP1960. It gives us an alternative if we have enough time as I said to Masked Owl. I'll have a quick shuftie at the links to see if Oldham Road is still a problem as well. Funny thing is, we've previously had enough time to get something to eat in Manchestoh, catch the bus in Lever Street and still have plenty of time. Sure went tits up last time though with the hold ups.

Spotted this;

Journey Plans to/from Manchester City Centre

We are currently experiencing some technical issues with journey plans to and from Manchester City Centre. If you encounter any difficulties you are advised to contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 (calls from landlines cost 10 pence per minute; mobile phone costs may vary), where you will be given the latest position. We apologise for any difficulties this may cause.

http://cityco.com/latest-scheduled-road-works-and-closures/

Personally, I would catch the frequent 24 or even the 182, although if you think its best to go into Oldham town centre rather than direct to BP the 83 is every 5 mins, also the 180 and 184 to Oldham are fine. The 409 will then take you to BP.

The 64 is only half hourly and a very unreliable service, avoid it like the plague, and whatever you do don't catch the 58 or 59, it will take almost as long as Bristol to Manchester

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/greater_manchester/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=2&source_id=2&service=024&routeid=3655111&operator=11&source=sp

Edited by BP1960

If you haven't done so already, please could you use the link to Virgin Trains via PlayerShare WebShop to book the train tickets. 2% cashback for PlayerShare would be appreciated!

Slap on the wrist for me, but I haven't done it that way. I will remember to do so in future. Thanks for the reminder.

Make a sandwich and eat it on the train, you lazy-arsed gits.

Not like you to beat about the bush and not come straight out with it, LL. Just rememeber, I'll getcha at playtime.

Spotted this;

Journey Plans to/from Manchester City Centre

We are currently experiencing some technical issues with journey plans to and from Manchester City Centre. If you encounter any difficulties you are advised to contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 (calls from landlines cost 10 pence per minute; mobile phone costs may vary), where you will be given the latest position. We apologise for any difficulties this may cause.

http://cityco.com/la...s-and-closures/

Saw this when I checked it out last night and found said problems.

Personally, I would catch the frequent 24 or even the 182, although if you think its best to go into Oldham town centre rather than direct to BP the 83 is every 5 mins, also the 180 and 184 to Oldham are fine. The 409 will then take you to BP.

The 64 is only half hourly and a very unreliable service, avoid it like the plague, and whatever you do don't catch the 58 or 59, it will take almost as long as Bristol to Manchester

http://www.firstgrou...or=11&source=sp

We always have used the 24/181/182, never gone into Oldham town centre, but the road works before Failsworth last time caused a real problem. It was a problem going back as well as we nearly missed our train back. never thought I'd be able to do from the bus stop in Oldham Street to Piccalilli station in about 6 minutes. I still haven't got my breath back. I can't find anything about the road works now, so I guess they've gone.

You watch latics entirely sober :shock:

Oh yes, it creates a whole new experience. But not always a pleasant one.

There is train from Victoria at 2pm that gets to mills hill at 2:10. If you get a taxi fom there you will be at bp for 20 past.

Cheers Steve. Worth considering.

Didn't have any problems getting the bus to the match last Tuesday (apart from First Buses's unhelpful scheduling, with the 24 and 182 turning up at the same time and the bus back into Manchester being due at 9.44pm, meaning you have to leave early or sprint across the car park at the final whistle). You should be fine getting a bus from Lever St.

Or train to Rochdale and get the 409 back down from there.

No idea if that's better than the Mills Hill option!

There are roadworks on Oldham Road at Bargain Booze just before St Cuthberts, takes forever to get through them with the temporary lights they've put up, and get some massive queues there. Best to avoid going to Rochdale then getting 409 whilst them roadworks are on.

Didn't have any problems getting the bus to the match last Tuesday (apart from First Buses's unhelpful scheduling, with the 24 and 182 turning up at the same time and the bus back into Manchester being due at 9.44pm, meaning you have to leave early or sprint across the car park at the final whistle). You should be fine getting a bus from Lever St.

Thanks rosa. Our usual routine then.