Happy Anniversary!

True, I certainly started to support Latics at the right time at the beginning of 86/87, even then though my fledgling support endured heartbreak at the hands of the newly fangled Play Offs and Keith (The Bastard) Edwards….

I'm 34 Prozac and you are right a great age to support latics in their peak through my secondary school years. This win was made all the better because no one gave us a cat in hells chance of winning (United were top, latics 4 points adrift at the bottom). For days before, I was having to endure the taunts of united fans. I tell you though when I walked into school the next day with a biggest grin in the world on my face; not a peak from the same united fans. I also think this was the game that pretty much kick-started our successful survival bid!

Have to say these years made my childhood/early teenage years all the better :grin:

I'm 28 - I've been going to latics since I was 6. So I remember the good times, but didn't take them in properly. I remembered MCClair hitting the bar and the goal from the united game and very little else.

Sheff United away last week was one of the best games I've ever had and I've been going that long.

So you are not alone in that.

ditto, but the Sheff Utd result was all the bit extra special living in Sheffield. We have matches against the likes of Tranmere and Huddersfield etc but you know derby matches are that extra bit special when you have to endure supporters of the other team on a regular basis. My Sheff Utd supporting mates were good sports last week but we all know at least Man Utd fan who is the complete opposite. I genuinly believe that some people choose to follow them because it covers over some sort of failing they have in their lives therefore they have to attatch themselves to something succesful and rub it in as if it's their own personal acheivement when they win. Which is why moments like that will live in the memory because it gives us a chance to play their game. I would never say that Football is just a game because I've made countless friends through watching it but when you upset a Man Utd fan they always give the response "yes well what have you ever won?", to which we usually just shrug our shoulders, realise that they're basically getting worked up over nothing and laugh at them some more.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

ditto, but the Sheff Utd result was all the bit extra special living in Sheffield. We have matches against the likes of Tranmere and Huddersfield etc but you know derby matches are that extra bit special when you have to endure supporters of the other team on a regular basis. My Sheff Utd supporting mates were good sports last week but we all know at least Man Utd fan who is the complete opposite. I genuinly believe that some people choose to follow them because it covers over some sort of failing they have in their lives therefore they have to attatch themselves to something succesful and rub it in as if it's their own personal acheivement when they win. Which is why moments like that will live in the memory because it gives us a chance to play their game. I would never say that Football is just a game because I've made countless friends through watching it but when you upset a Man Utd fan they always give the response "yes well what have you ever won?", to which we usually just shrug our shoulders, realise that they're basically getting worked up over nothing and laugh at them some more.

Sheff U last weekend was one of the best experiences I've had at a footy game. I'd put it up there with Everton and City FA Cup wins.

Can't remember too much from the glory days. I'm 25 and have been going since I was six so saw a few Premier League games and the Wembley Semi but was probably too young to appreciate it. Its been a slow and painful decline since.

I was there, age 14, stood right at the front of the Main Stand Paddock, RRE side. Again, surrounded by reds. What's good when you're 14 and a girl is that in a situation like that, you can goad and gloat all you like without getting filled in. And goad and gloat I did. Loved it!

Next day at school, I decided it would be a good idea to gloat with the only other girl in our class who liked football. She was a red. I decided to find a Match/Shoot/90 minutes magazine that had a Manu team picture in it, rip it up, and put it inside her desk. I did. She wasn't impressed. She was also quite hard and scary. So I cleared it up. :blush:

Some of the topics on here recently have really helped me realise what it's all about. The (tongue in cheek!) Bunn vs Messi poll, and the posts on the Sheff Utd game.

I'm 25 and have been dragged along since I was 3/4. All I remember of the '93 win over United is the corner coming over and Adams getting on the end of it.

Last Saturday is genuinely up there with the proudest I've ever felt coming away from a match and that's having been seething at our completely inept, negative and embarrassing first half performance. First half represented the worst of teams in Latics' situation, bowing down and letting the big club run over you. The last half hour, admittedly with some massive luck and madness on Sheff Utd's part was what it's all about. Having a go. Believing you can do it. And the luck and madness is ultimately what makes football such a great game. The emotional roller coster that Latics have taken me on for 20+ years is why I still turn up.

I have to say I struggle to think of a game where I've come away happier although the numerous victories over City and any win over a local rival, particularly away from home, or a club that turns up at BP thinking they're massive is always extra special. But the turn around on Saturday was immense and it's a feeling only teams in our position (perennial underdogs) get to feel once or so a year. The attitude you turn up with is "at best we'll sneak a point but I just hope we score and can go mental for a bit" (like the Leverkusen fans the other night - I bet they loved it when they scored at the end) but then actually coming away with the spoils is amazing. Even better when you do it with your mates - travel together, drink together, laugh together, take the piss out of each other and then stand together to watch the last minute penalty knowing you're about to feel f*ucking amazing or absolutely sh*te!

It's just dawned on me that as my brother turns 19 on Monday, never in his lifetime have Latics beaten United. All he's seen is decline and stagnation and the likes of Palmer, Ritchie, Marshall, Holden, Barrett, all of whom I can just about remember, are that little bit more in the distance for him. Not even hazy memories, just the past, history, gone. That's a big barrier to entry as a Latics fan these days. It'd be easy to say they can't be my team. They're :censored:, always have been.

And for that I applaud him and anyone of his age and younger who turns up without even the memories to build their dreams on. Just the hope that one day we might get back. Personally I find it very hard to imagine, but I'm sure 20 years before the pinch me season no-one would have foreseen it. If instead we have to satisfy ourselves with bloodying a few noses here and there a pulling off the odd surprise against the Sheff Utds, Leeds Utds, Wednesdays, Forests of this world, I'm happy enough with that.

We're Oldham. Sustained success is the exception, not the rule. But the one-off results happen pretty regularly, and luckily for us our one offs are good days. The most excited the United and City fans in our pubs and round our neighbourhoods get these days is when they lose. They don't get it. On Saturday I got it, and I was with a few hundred other Latics fans who got it too.

Keep the faith, stick with it and you'll see enough sunny days to make it all worthwhile.

It was a school night so being 9 I couldn't go. The next day though my grin was wider than the Joker's. I managed to find the game on VHS in a shop in Manchester, so at least I can watch the highlights when I want. Forget the Valentine's Day massacre, forget the two cup semi replays, forget the beating the then Champions Arsenal. Forget anything since 1994/5. That is the game I regret not being able to say I was there

unless something drastic happens to the club in the next 20 years I dont think I will be seeing any glory years other than cup runs

why not?

things were probably grimmer pre-1986

even the 2 seasons between the play offs and the cup runs were grim.

clubs that have done it before invariably do it again at some point.

I was there, in the lookers sat under tv gantry. The only things i remember from the game are being nervous as hell before kick-off, the feeling of elation when we scored, being so nervous I felt ill, grinning from ear to ear at full time and watching the red scum player surrounding the referee at full time.

I just wish I had been old enough to enjoy (if enjoy is the right word) a pint of lees golden original.

why not?

things were probably grimmer pre-1986

even the 2 seasons between the play offs and the cup runs were grim.

clubs that have done it before invariably do it again at some point.

Absolutely their is always that hope of a better day thats what keeps me going and thats what our motto Keep the faith is all about.

Their has been enough examples of clubs like ours who have been in even worse situations than ours and have bounced back and achieved great things.

Go back to may 2000 Ryan Sugden relegates Blackpool to the bottom tier at the time Bloomfield Road was inva worse state than ours. Fast forward 10 years and they go into the premiership. Their's no reason why something like that couldn't happen to us.

Great night that night, what supporting Latics is all about the plucky underdog who isn't frightened of going toe to toe with big boys and every now and again we come out on top. Their is no better sound than a full rocky road end going silent as we go 1-0 up.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I was in the lookers, amazing night, hardly remember anything about it now, tensest, most adrenaline packed 90 minutes of my life.

I do remember a few verbals in the car park after. I got sent flying, kicked in the stomach a few times, but I just couldn't stop laughing even as they were booting me! happy days :)

That night would have been my fourth birthday. Before I ever knew that Latics even existed. How odd. Also makes me feel quite old, at 23. :lol:

We beat Aston Villa 3-0 in the FA Cup Quarter-Finals on my 4th birthday but I remember all the hype around Latics at the time. I think my uncle bought me a Man City shirt but at the time there was only going to be one outcome (yes LaticsLee I have no regrets!)