PD fails in bid to bring in new LB/CB

According to a couple of journos on Twitter Dickov has tried to bring in a player on loan with a view to signing them up for next season. Loads of work gone into it and club were willing to loan him for nowt, only for the player to call this morning and say they didn't fancy it. Come on Dickov - name and shame.

To be honest im glad, people dont want to be here and dont have the heart we are better without!

Im sure maybe Evina could join until end of season doesnt seem to get a game at Charlton knows the sqaud and could settle in easy

Just wages again, i know he left on good terms just preffered London to here, would only be for 10 weeks

Where's the shame? Somene was offered a job that didn't appeal so they didn't take it.

PD mentions the work that has gone into the deal. Not got a problem with someone happy to pick up their money rather than go elsewhere for regular football (if I could get paid for doing nowt I would) but if you're not interested don't waste people's time.

Exactly.

On Twitter someone's contrived to somehow throw Fabrice Muamba's predicament into the mix :unsure:

Yeah I saw that. Understand the sentiment behind it lamenting the attitude of some footballers I mention above but Muamba's not relevant to that argument.

Taking the positives from this, it's great to see that PD understands the need to strengthen the LB position. And that next season is already being planned for in terms of signings rather than just a stop gap for the next 10 games. That's the most frustrating thing, that this wasn't just a loan for a few months but for next season as well. Shame it didn't come off.

Where's the shame? Somene was offered a job that didn't appeal so they didn't take it.

I actually think there is shame in someone preferring to sit on the bench or play in the reserves than come and get first team football. Yes no one can force them but what does that say about their mindset?

Im sure maybe Evina could join until end of season

Evina's name crossed my mind a few times when watching Brown's dreadful performance at LB on Saturday.

Would take him back straight away but wasn't the main reason he went to Charlton because he wanted to live down south close to his family?

Edited by bossrocks

I actually think there is shame in someone preferring to sit on the bench or play in the reserves than come and get first team football. Yes no one can force them but what does that say about their mindset?

It may just say that they are confident of getting a better offer.

Clearly not the type of player we want here then, so maybe dodged a bullet.

What 'type of player' does turning down a job make him?

People turn down jobs all the time, in every profession, the same as people change jobs if they're offered better pay. I don't understand why footballers get so much stick for it.

People turn down jobs all the time, in every profession, the same as people change jobs if they're offered better pay. I don't understand why footballers get so much stick for it.

Perhaps it was the - "We'll give you until the end of the season and MAY give you a deal for next season. I'd take my chances too…", why should he commit when the club won't?

I know what the original poster is saying, but as you say although it's the answer we may not have wanted it's probably best for all parties. I'd rather someone turn us down rather than take the money and not want to be here

By the sound of it it seems the deal was done and he backed out the last minute, which means he clearly isn't bothered about playing at the very least for us. If he had signed he may not have given his all, in the summer Dickov made it clear he wanted players who wanted to play for us. He didn't.

By the sound of it it seems the deal was done and he backed out the last minute, which means he clearly isn't bothered about playing at the very least for us. If he had signed he may not have given his all, in the summer Dickov made it clear he wanted players who wanted to play for us. He didn't.

How do you know he 'isn't bothered'? Maybe he thought the move wasn't right for him at this moment? Maybe he didn't want to move out of whatever area it is he currently lives in? Maybe he thought he could push on at his own club? Etc.

You're making assumptions on this players character without even knowing who he is, never mind why he decided not to join us.

I know Shez was a bit over-enthusiastic in the loan market, but I remember him saying that he was amazed at professional players preferring to sit in the ressies and pick up a wage packet than play first team football. It appears that this one, whoever he is, is out of contract at the end of the season and probably has no guarantee of it being renewed by his parent club.

I agree with those that say they wouldn't take a job if it didn't suit, but his job would have been the same at BP as it is now. Playing football. If he doesn't get his contract renewed in June, he's in limbo, when he had the chance of earning one with us or, by being in the shop window, with someone else . Now that, I don't understand.

PD has always said that being a professional footballer is the best job in the world. I agree. I would have walked from Oldham to furthest outpost of football to gain a professional contract. If this guy doesn't want it, he'd be no good to us anyway, so we move on.

Reason for edit: Bugger, just voted myself up by mistake. Sorry.

Edited by Bristolatic