Should Paul Dickov be Latics manager

382 members have voted

1. 1. NOW: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE ONE: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. NEXT SEASON IF WE'RE IN LEAGUE TWO: Should Paul Dickov be the Latics' manager?

• Yes
    • No

How did he do in his last job?

Took over a pile of :censored: on 9th March and improved them. For Stockport to lose only 4 out of 13 games at the end of lastseason was an extraordinary achievement. The damage had already been done before he got there - hence them being relegated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on yet another torrid display last night my doubts about Dickov are mounting.

Then someone said "Rome wasn't built in a day" and I sympathised a little with Dickov and the players.

However, I want someone who will not lie and make excuse after excuse every time we lose a match. He needs to ste his standards a lot highter otherwise he can go. I'd give him two more years.

Pass. I think it's just a Latics tradition to turn on the assistant manager when the chips are down. Bill Urmson, John Breckin, Tommy Wright, Martin Gray...

Wasn't Taggart, Nigel pearson's assistnat at Leicester when they pissed this league?

Based on yet another torrid display last night my doubts about Dickov are mounting.

Then someone said "Rome wasn't built in a day" and I sympathised a little with Dickov and the players.

However, I want someone who will not lie and make excuse after excuse every time we lose a match. He needs to ste his standards a lot highter otherwise he can go. I'd give him two more years.

The problems with Dickov are that he perseveres with misfiring strikers - Tonk last year. Kuqi this.

He pisses about too much with the wide players. Just give them a run, stop chopping and changing.

Certain players get a game no matter how poor they are, and it is not on. M'Changama has done little wrong yet he's dropped in favour of Tom A, Adeyemi looked far better at LB. Stick him at LB get M'Changama in there.

Like Sheridan before him, we see the same mistakes, distrust of his own signings and playing players out of position is beginning to piss more than a few off. Honeymoon well and truly over. He's supposed to be a manager, instead he might as well be shuffling deck chairs around on the Titanic….

And the excuses are getting :censored:ing boring.

Get back to playing with the high tempo we had between August '10 - February '11 and the results will come, the players are good enough he has to believe in the player HE has signed, not more and more loanees. Tounkara was a signing too far too…

He's got until Christmas to show me he can evolve and has a Plan B, if not I think he'll walk anyway...

Edited by oafcprozac

Think the reason people question taggart is because he was a centre half at the highest level, yet most of the time we look feckin clueless at defending (especially from set-pieces).

I've voted YES, YES, NO... I believe we have the quality in the squad to keep us in the division, and even with the injuries it would be a massive failure if we wer relegated!

The problems with Dickov are that he perseveres with misfiring strikers - Tonk last year. Kuqi this.

He pisses about too much with the wide players. Just give them a run, stop chopping and changing.

Certain players get a game no matter how poor they are, and it is not on. M'Changama has done little wrong yet he's dropped in favour of Tom A, Adeyemi looked far better at LB. Stick him at LB get M'Changama in there.

Like Sheridan before him, we see the same mistakes, distrust of his own signings and playing players out of position is beginning to piss more than a few off. Honeymoon well and truly over. He's supposed to be a manager, instead he might as well be shuffling deck chairs around on the Titanic….

And the excuses are getting :censored:ing boring.

Get back to playing with the high tempo we had between August '10 - February '11 and the results will come, the players are good enough he has to believe in the player HE has signed, not more and more loanees. Tounkara was a signing too far too…

He's got until Christmas to show me he can evolve and has a Plan B, if not I think he'll walk anyway...

Now here's one.

During that period that you've highlighted & I've bolded, we played some cracking stuff - we really did.

At the heart of that appeared to be relatively simple footballing philosophy from Dickov - namely play the way I did.

It was an extremely high tempo set-up - the quickest I've seen at BP in years & years. We pressed all over the pitch, almost hunting in packs. It was led from the front, and worked all through the side. In possession, we moved the ball quickly but more importantly; also sensibly. The 'easy' ball was chosen, we worked it to the wings; we 1 & 2 touched it around and we played very few 'Hollywood' passes from the back or midfielder (this did creep in latterly; namely into Dale Stephens game). The shape was a rigid 4-4-2 with the 2 wide lads playing very positionally disciplined roles; helping the full backs and tucking inside when needed also. Everyone appeared to know what was expected of them; what their role was & how that slotted into the overall team shape. At this stage; I'm including the footage of "the" Furman goal - it's at 2.13 on this below - think it sums it up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/9431229.stm

Now - what I can't get my head around is - if PD / GT were the ones to introduce that philosophy and style of play then; and they saw that it worked - why have we totally gone against it this season?

The shape is now 4-4-1-1, the tempo has dropped to 'sloth slow', the pressing has gone, the 1 & 2 touch passing has gone and we now rely on 40/50 yard hoofs from the back; to striker to chase when that isn't their natural game. On the odd occasions that some decent football has broken out over the recent months; it's been few & far between - and it appears it 'oh, we can work an overlap here; let's do that off the cuff' type scenario rather than players working to exact instructions.

I don't know what's gone on - or more to the point, what continues to go on. It's as though he's decided to basically do the exact opposite of what worked; even though he now; on the face of it at least, appears to have a higher standard of player at his disposal than at the start of last season.

Ritchie Jones was slated on here, but IMO he gave us a solidity on the right of midfield we haven't had since really. Lewis was a revelation on the left hand side for me. DJ Bembo looked a real find up front. Furman was born again in the centre of the park…………………………throw into that the 'better' standard of players from this season in Simpson, Kuqi et all and - and this is the thing I just don't understand - we should be able to still play that style of football; but with better players doing it now. So, why aren't we? It worked then - with a higher calibre of player; it'd worked again; maybe even better than it did then???

Tactics are wrong at present; and have been for ages. Formation is wrong too; and the way the team shape is; the way it's set up. Don't even get me started on set-plays; either defending or attacking.

I would love a chance to ask Dickov what I've basically just vented on my keyboard - but realistically; what chance is there of another Q&A being set up whilst the side is in this run of form? Slim to F-all I'd say.

He's shown he can set a side up to play attractive; winning football before - so what the feck is he doing now? The more you look at it; the more it smacks of a flash in the pan fluke doesn't it? I hope it wasn't; I really do.

Edited by slystallone

Yes yes and no

Its says a lot we are even asking this question, i think would be stupid to get rid, although Mourinho keeps banging on he is coming to England for a new challenge and my god this is one hell of a challenge

He might come bp lol i am getting 2 and 2 together and getting 55 not just 5 here

Oh and cheers o4u was my question of week in 2 weeks gone lol

If we can keep most of the squad together (which I think we will) then I'd keep him in the hope continuity + a bit more experience will do the trick.

If the squad is decimated I honestly can't see the point in keeping him.

I've never known a season where so many new signings have had such little impact. (Kuqi & Wesolowski the execeptions).

With a squad full of strangers next season we'll be doomed with Dickov in charge.

Edited by HarryBosch

Now here's one.

During that period that you've highlighted & I've bolded, we played some cracking stuff - we really did.

At the heart of that appeared to be relatively simple footballing philosophy from Dickov - namely play the way I did.

It was an extremely high tempo set-up - the quickest I've seen at BP in years & years. We pressed all over the pitch, almost hunting in packs. It was led from the front, and worked all through the side. In possession, we moved the ball quickly but more importantly; also sensibly. The 'easy' ball was chosen, we worked it to the wings; we 1 & 2 touched it around and we played very few 'Hollywood' passes from the back or midfielder (this did creep in latterly; namely into Dale Stephens game). The shape was a rigid 4-4-2 with the 2 wide lads playing very positionally disciplined roles; helping the full backs and tucking inside when needed also. Everyone appeared to know what was expected of them; what their role was & how that slotted into the overall team shape. At this stage; I'm including the footage of "the" Furman goal - it's at 2.13 on this below - think it sums it up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/9431229.stm

Now - what I can't get my head around is - if PD / GT were the ones to introduce that philosophy and style of play then; and they saw that it worked - why have we totally gone against it this season?

The shape is now 4-4-1-1, the tempo has dropped to 'sloth slow', the pressing has gone, the 1 & 2 touch passing has gone and we now rely on 40/50 yard hoofs from the back; to striker to chase when that isn't their natural game. On the odd occasions that some decent football has broken out over the recent months; it's been few & far between - and it appears it 'oh, we can work an overlap here; let's do that off the cuff' type scenario rather than players working to exact instructions.

I don't know what's gone on - or more to the point, what continues to go on. It's as though he's decided to basically do the exact opposite of what worked; even though he now; on the face of it at least, appears to have a higher standard of player at his disposal than at the start of last season.

Ritchie Jones was slated on here, but IMO he gave us a solidity on the right of midfield we haven't had since really. Lewis was a revelation on the left hand side for me. DJ Bembo looked a real find up front. Furman was born again in the centre of the park…………………………throw into that the 'better' standard of players from this season in Simpson, Kuqi et all and - and this is the thing I just don't understand - we should be able to still play that style of football; but with better players doing it now. So, why aren't we? It worked then - with a higher calibre of player; it'd worked again; maybe even better than it did then???

Tactics are wrong at present; and have been for ages. Formation is wrong too; and the way the team shape is; the way it's set up. Don't even get me started on set-plays; either defending or attacking.

I would love a chance to ask Dickov what I've basically just vented on my keyboard - but realistically; what chance is there of another Q&A being set up whilst the side is in this run of form? Slim to F-all I'd say.

He's shown he can set a side up to play attractive; winning football before - so what the feck is he doing now? The more you look at it; the more it smacks of a flash in the pan fluke doesn't it? I hope it wasn't; I really do.

:applause1:

If you listen to him its clear he cares about the club and other than slating the players full on in public says about as much as he can always tries to back his players. I didnt put the point over well as I really mean he is more aproachable than likes of dangerous dave, Moore, Colin et al...

definitely.

i thought you were referring to stufff like "it was the referee's fault" and "they were better at set pieces than us" as "straight talking" :grin: :grin: :unsure:

Over 96% of fans still want him as manager. I'm not saying we're not playing badly, but as ever in terms of talking about a manager going people are going over the top.

At most points in our recent history I would imagine the proportion of fans' MBs wanting the manager out was at least 4%.

Vied yes to all 3. The last question is the difficult one, on the basis that I am sick of changing managers and I question our ability to choose anyone who would perform better in our circumstances would give him till Christmas to demonstrate our promotion credentials.

95% approval rating is excellent going considering the run we are on. So is the recent form down to the players are they doing enough themselves its they who have step over the white line and do the business. I get the impression that most of them are just contempt to take a trip to anfield out of this season and staying in league 1, personally I think they should be aiming higher than that.

We need stability. The players have let him down. He's signed players with ability to take us higher and they haven't delivered yet.......a close season of some more wheeling and dealing plus retain the heart of current squad then our faith in PD will be repaid. Onwards and upwards!

I voted YES,YES,NO......but i have to be honest, it's more to do with avoiding any more disruption rather than i have blind faith in PD.

We make the same mistakes over and over, and so i'm still to be convinced he's as good as some think he is.

If we were to be relegated though, then i'd be looking to change it, because this set of players shouldn't be anywhere near a relegation scrap.

Lazy journalism... Wonder if they have picked up on us signing Lionel Messi yet? Although hes too short for this division ..

They have to create stories from somewhere. It must be a pretty boring job thinking of stories to write about Latics on a daily basis...