Dickov: "We're on a bit of a dodgy run"

At what point do you finally climb down and begin to grow tired of what is currently being served up? Do you want managers asking for "sixes and sevens"? There are many ways of managing, and on the whole I agree with Dickov's style. That is until it grows quite evident - which it has, several months ago in fact - that the players are failing to respond.

Or am I "bonkers" and it is working? Do you happy clap every time Dickov says we're going to finish in the top half and not take a moment out to realise we're so far away from that target in terms of results and performances? I know he knows the situation, but where is the fight from both the players and manager?

Of course telling Gordon that we're in danger and in terrible form (or "dodgy" as Dickov calls it) is pointless. But calling the run "dodgy" is head in the clouds stuff, and letting slip that he asks no more than sheer averageness is not what I want to hear. If you're happy with that I'd suggest taking the word "bonkers" and apply it to yourself.

I'm pro-Dickov, not that that needs justifying to two or three cheery folk without a criticism to hand, and I appreciate the difficulties Dickov if forced to work with, despite around a dozen or more sides in this league working under the same pressures. But when I see a blatant lack of progress after each defeat and after each promise of marked improvement, do you expect fans to be patient following several inept, defeat-infested months?

Dickov understands the gravity of the situation as well as anyone. By referring to the run as "dodgy" rather than, say, 'frightening' he is presumably trying to convey to his players that he's confident that we can and will stay up. If he starts openly panicking so will his players and then we're really in the :censored:. There's no getting away from the fact that we're on a :censored: run of form; we know it and Dickov knows it but what creeps in at this stage of the season is the psychological battle of getting those last few points on the board. It doesn't matter where or how we pick up points or where we finish so long as it's not in the bottom four. But the likelihood is that the only way this bunch of players are going to give Dickov the last few points we need is if they feel he believes in them.

If Corney was telling the truth when he said that there is around 12 teams (I think he said it was around 12, but if he didn't please correct me) with a lower budget than us, than Dickov has had the funds to get us to be around the low top half. Obviously that can still happen, but it doesn't look like it at the moment, we look like we're going to be in a relegation scrap if Sheff Wed beat us on Monday and Wycombe beat Chesterfield.

Well even if he does have the twelfth best (or twelfth worst?) budget, he's still got to convince players that they want to play at the OWTB-voted worst ground in the league in front of 3,500 fans.

Basically, he's got a bad hand in the transfer market....

Edited by JoeP

What Joe has said above echoes what would be my response to your initial points.

In relation to the bold bit, the 'injury crisis' is effectively the injuries to Wes and Furman. With the assets at PD's disposal, to KO those two for the second half of the season has been a right slap in the face. For starters, in tandem they operated superbly with both being able to get the ball and bring it forward. The result of their injuries has been that not only have we been overrun in midfield but that when we have had the ball in CM, the quality isn't there to bring it forward. Shef comes back to get the ball and suddenly there's no one there.

If Deano and Wes had been fit all season we'd be OK. In fact, given that Tranmere are bloody 11th and the fine margins between upper-midtable and the rest of the league we'd be at least around there.

Dickov understands the gravity of the situation as well as anyone. By referring to the run as "dodgy" rather than, say, 'frightening' he is presumably trying to convey to his players that he's confident that we can and will stay up. If he starts openly panicking so will his players and then we're really in the :censored:. There's no getting away from the fact that we're on a :censored: run of form; we know it and Dickov knows it but what creeps in at this stage of the season is the psychological battle of getting those last few points on the board. It doesn't matter where or how we pick up points or where we finish so long as it's not in the bottom four. But the likelihood is that the only way this bunch of players are going to give Dickov the last few points we need is if they feel he believes in them.

I do agree with both points. As I say I want Dickov in charge of this club not only next season but those well beyond that. However, what needs highlighting is the lack of fight about this side. However, I take the point of Tranmere. When we lost at their place 1-0 just how poor were we? For me it was as bad as Colchester and Brentford. Do we really need a full-strength side to be able to compete? By that I mean those three matches I mentioned we failed to even compete, let alone show imagination and quality. It's the lack of competing then is irritating me so much, and that lies with Dickov. There are those in comfort zones, and that lies with Dickov.

Tranmere, with their small budget and small crowds, were doomed under Parry. They then appoint Moore. They don't have a squad better than ours, but the attitude has clearly changed. They're now 11th. Does Dickov demand effort? No doubt he does. Does he get it? In patches. Does he do anything about it? Has he done anything about it? No.

I must come across as a right miserable pessimist. I'm not. I'm quite the opposite actually. Most fans will accept hard work, but what excuses are there for losing to Scunthorpe, Yeovil and Leyton Orient at home? A manager can show all the belief he wants, but against those sides at Boundary Park you have to demand three points, surely? We didn't, and what did we get from Dickov? He blamed luck, the referee and probably the wind direction, but never the players. I'd never criticise the players for losing to the league leaders and likely champions, but those struggling sides in such poor fashion - all you can do is question attitudes.

I do agree with both points. As I say I want Dickov in charge of this club not only next season but those well beyond that. However, what needs highlighting is the lack of fight about this side. However, I take the point of Tranmere. When we lost at their place 1-0 just how poor were we? For me it was as bad as Colchester and Brentford. Do we really need a full-strength side to be able to compete? By that I mean those three matches I mentioned we failed to even compete, let alone show imagination and quality. It's the lack of competing then is irritating me so much, and that lies with Dickov. There are those in comfort zones, and that lies with Dickov.

Tranmere, with their small budget and small crowds, were doomed under Parry. They then appoint Moore. They don't have a squad better than ours, but the attitude has clearly changed. They're now 11th. Does Dickov demand effort? No doubt he does. Does he get it? In patches. Does he do anything about it? Has he done anything about it? No.

I must come across as a right miserable pessimist. I'm not. I'm quite the opposite actually. Most fans will accept hard work, but what excuses are there for losing to Scunthorpe, Yeovil and Leyton Orient at home? A manager can show all the belief he wants, but against those sides at Boundary Park you have to demand three points, surely? We didn't, and what did we get from Dickov? He blamed luck, the referee and probably the wind direction, but never the players. I'd never criticise the players for losing to the league leaders and likely champions, but those struggling sides in such poor fashion - all you can do is question attitudes.

I think the fundamental point of our disagreement is that I think losing to Yeovil, Scunthorpe, Orient etc is acceptable. Of course I want to see maximum effort, but we follow a League One side with a modest budget. We will always turn in duff performances. We are a mid-table side at best, much of which is very young. Last year on numerous occasions we conceded one and then went on to concede four, five, even six. This year it hasn't really happened (MK and Liverpool aside). That to me is progress. We are better than last year and if Wes and Furman had stayed fit it would have showed more than it has.

I think it's unwarranted to say PD hasn't done anything about a lack of effort. We have no idea what he's been doing. Maybe a lack of effort is why RR and KMB have been frozen out. The proof of the pudding is not always in the eating.

I'd agree you can't take what is said too literally, but when you see very little emotion on the sidelines, save his continuous hounding of the fourth official and/or referee, his comments in front of the camera are all we have.

Nor do I buy into this injury crisis. Of course we've had a terrible run, but our attack-minded players haven't been affected too severely yet game after game we don't look capable of scoring a goal. When Dickov talks about finishing well up the league and he fails to deliver he sets himself up for a painful fall. He'll learn a lot from this season, there's no doubt about that, but he's been damaged and has a lot to prove.

Fair point, but I think losing Wesolowski and Reid affected our attacking options, and Furman and Simpson are only just back from injuries. With our resources, having such players out could be considered a "crisis".

Just on the recent bad run, I'd say it was only Charlton and (based on reports) Brentford were the only games where we haven't created any chances. Kuqi's poor form in front of goal has been as influential in this season's decline as Dickov's managerial flaws.

Ah well, at least Jim Davidson was in on Saturday to provide "Laughter in the Boardroom"...

:petesake:

• 5 weeks later...

Record (including cup matches) from New Year's Day onwards:

2011-12: Played 26, Won 6, Drew 6, Lost 14. Final position: 16th

2010-11: Played 28, Won 6, Drew 9, Lost 13. Final position: 17th

2009-10: Played 24, Won 7, Drew 6, Lost 11. Final position: 16th

2008-09: Played 23, Won 5, Drew 9, Lost 9. Final position: 10th

2007-08: Played 26, Won 12, Drew 6, Lost 8. Final position: 8th

2006-07: Played 25, Won 8, Drawn 7, Lost 10. Final position: 6th

2005-06: Played 22, Won 8, Drawn 5, Lost 9. Final position: 10th

2004-05: Played 26, Won 6, Drawn 7, Lost 13. Final position: 19th

Record (including cup matches) from New Year's Day onwards:

2007-08: Played 26, Won 12, Drew 6, Lost 8. Final position: 8th

So that was our best 2nd half to a season yet we had an incredibly patched up team and in some cases failed to fill the bench.

So that was our best 2nd half to a season yet we had an incredibly patched up team and in some cases failed to fill the bench.

Good point, that would vindicate the new PD approach of getting players that will run through walls.

If you look at the team in the middle of that set of game, Oldham v Swindon it was no great shakes, mostly solid with some talent.

Whatever happened to the lad Jordan Robertson who came on for Jarrett?

Crossley, Eardley ( C ), Livermore, Stam (Lomax 46), Hazell, Taylor, Allot, Jarrett (Robertson 73), McDonald, Allesandra, smalley

Good point, that would vindicate the new PD approach of getting players that will run through walls.

If you look at the team in the middle of that set of game, Oldham v Swindon it was no great shakes, mostly solid with some talent.

Whatever happened to the lad Jordan Robertson who came on for Jarrett?

Crossley, Eardley ( C ), Livermore, Stam (Lomax 46), Hazell, Taylor, Allot, Jarrett (Robertson 73), McDonald, Allesandra, smalley

He did a Lee Hughes (save for the fleeing the scene bit) and is now at Scunny.