Would you.......

......forfeit the wage for Kuqi or another striker and pay Simpson extra to keep him here for next season ?

I'd return to the drawing board for strikers next season replacing Reid, Kuqi, Smith and Parker. It's worth the gamble as apart from Kuqi's first few months, the lot of them are totally ineffective.

Retaining Furman, Wes and Simpson in the middle is crucial for us to then build the team around them.

......forfeit the wage for Kuqi or another striker and pay Simpson extra to keep him here for next season ?

I'd return to the drawing board for strikers next season replacing Reid, Kuqi, Smith and Parker. It's worth the gamble as apart from Kuqi's first few months, the lot of them are totally ineffective.

Retaining Furman, Wes and Simpson in the middle is crucial for us to then build the team around them.

Fook yeah. As long as Simpson has it put in his contract that he can only be played central, just like Kuqi has it put in that he has to start every game...

Based on Kuqi's current form then yes. Forfeit his wage. If we can get the goalscoring Kuqi of the first few months of the season back, then would be happy for him to stay. But on the last few months, let him go.

Personally, I think that suggesting we're not scoring because the strikers are ineffective is a little short-sighted. We've equally got a problem in terms of creating scoring chances.

I think this has only been a problem since the Notts County match. Until then I though our build up play had been pretty good, if I'm honest.

Edited by JoeP

Personally, I think that suggesting we're not scoring because the strikers are ineffective is a little short-sighted. We've equally got a problem in terms of creating scoring chances.

We tend to have enough chances. 7 today, 7 against Sheff Wed, 8 Charlton, 8 Brentford, 15 Notts County, 8 Orient, 8 Bournemouth and 7 Hartlepool.

There just shots had, but if you was to include crosses/corners into area that we've not got onto the end of or been cleared then the number would be alot higher if you was to count them as chances..

I agree and, up to then, we were scoring goals. QED.

Well, no - I'd say we created enough chances to beat Exeter at home. Then Chesterfield in the JPT at home set the bar for creating chances but not winning.

We then created enough chances to have beaten Colchester, Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Orient.

Sad knowledge I know, but I'm married and over 30....

i wouldn't keep him at all costs no,he has been rubbish since coming back from hudders and listening to commentry today it didn't sound like he was involved much 2nd half until the pen incident, so no i wouldn't pay extra at the expense of someone else

Not for me, bring in someone more mobile and more of an ' in the box ' striker. Someone to poke in scruffy goals etc.

I agree we should bring in that sort of player, but for me it should be along side simpson not instead of. get rid of kuqi instead

Not for me, bring in someone more mobile and more of an ' in the box ' striker. Someone to poke in scruffy goals etc.

The problem is, who exactly would this be? The ones who've proved they can do it are already in demand and out of our league. The ones who haven't proved it, well, they would be a gamble.

The problem is, who exactly would this be? The ones who've proved they can do it are already in demand and out of our league. The ones who haven't proved it, well, they would be a gamble.

id rather employ a gamble than someone who has already proved they cant do it like the bunch we already have

Honest opinion....what are Smith's strengths and with our current crop of players, could we play to them? He has a year left so could we still salvage something or is it a step too far? Fire crosses in and use his heading ability.

Same goes with Reid but is Reid out of contract in the summer? IIRC we let him go last summer due to contract demands but he came back after negotiation of terms in our favour. Would you do the same or look elsewhere?

Personally I'd try and get raw pace up front even if we have to improve on goal scoring. It proved effective with Andrews under Dowie because we got so many pens and free kicks around the box.

Either that or PD will have to dig deep with his contacts and get a proven poacher on loan.

We create the chances and our build up play is decent but it's the final quarter. Get a player or two who can latch onto passes into the box or just stays in the six-yard box.

Despite the gloom this season, tinkering in defence, up front but retain midfield and I think we can really move up the table next season......

I am sorry and I am not just saying this for the fun of it but Simpson is the best of a bad bunch!

I haven’t thought much of him since we signed him after his Loan period.

If he would have played like he has since signing, during his loan period I would have seriously questioned signing him on a permanent basis.

I would like to see a new front two next year, theres nothing to build on with our strikers after the epic fail in goalscoring this season.

Edited by KYLEOAFC

I really wouldn't be busting the bank for any player really……..it would be about right for us to make Simpson a really cracking offer; he signs it, and then either gets a season ending injury in pre-season or goes on a Kuqi-esq run of appalling form.

I'd want us to be making him a competitive offer; but one that is within our budget constraints. It's then a decision for him as to whether he signs it or takes a gamble that he can find better offers from others clubs who may want him.

Midsblue has some good points in post #17.

Whilst he is far; far from finished article, I think there is merit in Matt Smith being in the matchday squads. If played correctly, the 'big man up front' can be such a big weapon at this level (& higher too). He has a lot to learn, but rather than giving him 5 mins at the end of games, when basically the game is gone……he needs a run of games to get up to speed and show if he can kick on and make it or not.

I've always been a fan of the big man / little man combination, and the tactics that it brings into play. If you want to / have to go direct; there's the big man to act as a target man & hold the ball up. Then, you have the flick on option of knocking it upto the big man; for the little nippy striker to run onto, and you have the down the line / channel ball for the little man to run onto.

We had that with Chris Porter & Paul Warne for a short while. But, the best example I can recall over recent years of watching us was Gary Johnson's Bristol City Promotion winning side in 06 - he had Enoch Showunmi & Steve Brooker as the big men, and Marcus Stewart, Jennison Myrie-Williams & Dave Cotterill as the little men. They were awesome that season and ripped us a new one at BP; playing that tactic. Showunmi (who lets be honest is a cart horse) was almost unplayable that day due to the tactics that brought the best out of him.

With some clever recruitment, I think it's not inconceivable that we could mirror what that side was all about. They didn't have world beaters, but had functional players who played to very decent (but not execptional) tactics.

I too think we need an overhaul of the striking department, we're lacking in that department (along with all the other like!). I'd want us to look to use that tactic.

Matt Smith could be 1 of the 2 big man options, Simpson being the other. We then need a push on finding the little man striker options. Harry Bunn could be that? Other options are out there (Ashley Grimes at 'Dale springs to mind straight away)…..

I really wouldn't be busting the bank for any player really……..it would be about right for us to make Simpson a really cracking offer; he signs it, and then either gets a season ending injury in pre-season or goes on a Kuqi-esq run of appalling form.

I'd want us to be making him a competitive offer; but one that is within our budget constraints. It's then a decision for him as to whether he signs it or takes a gamble that he can find better offers from others clubs who may want him.

Midsblue has some good points in post #17.

Whilst he is far; far from finished article, I think there is merit in Matt Smith being in the matchday squads. If played correctly, the 'big man up front' can be such a big weapon at this level (& higher too). He has a lot to learn, but rather than giving him 5 mins at the end of games, when basically the game is gone……he needs a run of games to get up to speed and show if he can kick on and make it or not.

I've always been a fan of the big man / little man combination, and the tactics that it brings into play. If you want to / have to go direct; there's the big man to act as a target man & hold the ball up. Then, you have the flick on option of knocking it upto the big man; for the little nippy striker to run onto, and you have the down the line / channel ball for the little man to run onto.

We had that with Chris Porter & Paul Warne for a short while. But, the best example I can recall over recent years of watching us was Gary Johnson's Bristol City Promotion winning side in 06 - he had Enoch Showunmi & Steve Brooker as the big men, and Marcus Stewart, Jennison Myrie-Williams & Dave Cotterill as the little men. They were awesome that season and ripped us a new one at BP; playing that tactic. Showunmi (who lets be honest is a cart horse) was almost unplayable that day due to the tactics that brought the best out of him.

With some clever recruitment, I think it's not inconceivable that we could mirror what that side was all about. They didn't have world beaters, but had functional players who played to very decent (but not execptional) tactics.

I too think we need an overhaul of the striking department, we're lacking in that department (along with all the other like!). I'd want us to look to use that tactic.

Matt Smith could be 1 of the 2 big man options, Simpson being the other. We then need a push on finding the little man striker options. Harry Bunn could be that? Other options are out there (Ashley Grimes at 'Dale springs to mind straight away)…..

Smith and Bunn could be a good partnership as you say, big man little man. Only problem with Smith is that he hasn't caught up to the pace of League One yet, he still thinks he has more time than he actually does.

Regarding Grimes, hope we don't, lazy player. Bury meant to be looking to sign him and Nicky Adams from Dale.

The thought of Smith and Bunn together doesn't yet fill me with hope we'll see goals, based on careers to date.

Besides, if it's true Kuqi has signed on for anothear year it's likely he'll start. So any new signing needs to work well with him.