Not really. Using a computer = playing football.

Not really. Not being able to do your job because of the logistic problem of your computer not working would be more like not playing football because the pitch was frozen. Not playing because you're injured is more like being off sick.

It's nice when injured/suspended players go to the game to support their team-mates but i don't see why they should be obliged to. As people have said, in pre-Twitter days no-one would know or care what they were up to.

Not really. Using a computer = playing football.

Analogies aside, he's paid a wage to do a job. If he's not playing, he should be making some effort to support the team or at least show an interest. IMO, going shopping in London doesn't do this.

Why should he? That's all it is, a job. If you want to use analogies, if you were unable to work due to some physical handicap, would you still go into work to support your colleagues?

Footballers are criticised for some ridiculous things these days, and this is right up there. They're allowed a life outside football y'know.

Not really. Not being able to do your job because of the logistic problem of your computer not working would be more like not playing football because the pitch was frozen. Not playing because you're injured is more like being off sick.

It's nice when injured/suspended players go to the game to support their team-mates but i don't see why they should be obliged to. As people have said, in pre-Twitter days no-one would know or care what they were up to.

So it's OK to shopping when you're off sick?

Think the metaphor's being stretched a little.....

Why should he? That's all it is, a job. If you want to use analogies, if you were unable to work due to some physical handicap, would you still go into work to support your colleagues?

Footballers are criticised for some ridiculous things these days, and this is right up there. They're allowed a life outside football y'know.

Exactly - he's paid to do a job. IMO, just because he's injured (but fit enough to go shopping....) shouldn't mean he can think he has no role to play in the team and can disappear off to Lakeside (or wherever) while his colleagues part-take in an important relegation battle.

Agree to disagree on this one, I think.

Exactly - he's paid to do a job. IMO, just because he's injured (but fit enough to go shopping....) shouldn't mean he can think he has no role to play in the team and can disappear off to Lakeside (or wherever) while his colleagues part-take in an important relegation battle.

How dare he live his life while unable to play ! Scum!

He's injured, not crippled!

Jesus H

How dare he live his life while unable to play ! Scum!

Not saying that - not even that @rsed what he does, if I'm honest.

Just think it's a sad indictment of the modern day footballer that he think's it's OK to go shopping in Harvey Nic's while his colleagues (and 200+ supporters..) fight the cause and represent his club...

Not saying that - not even that @rsed what he does, if I'm honest.

Just think it's a sad indictment of the modern day footballer that he think's it's OK to go shopping in Harvey Nic's while his colleagues (and 200+ supporters..) fight the cause and represent his club...

and if the club didn't want him on the team coach, is it his fault that he wasn't there?

Is everyone talking about the same bloke? The one whose shoulder kept coming out of it's socket but he wanted to carry on playing for as long as he could?

Whilst rehabilitating from the operation he should definately be forced to attend all our matches and make very Strike It Lucky draw. In fact, if he hasn't used this time off to get a Scott McGarvey tattoo, I'm going to boo him.

This is about the singlemost stupid :censored:ing thread I've read in a while. Well, other than the one about us going down earlier this afternoon. I know the club and the players inflame the passions and all that, so I'm not calling any poster an idiot (really). But, take a breath and a step back: is this really a big deal? Really? Did Wes' non-appearance make any :censored:ing difference to the score? If yes, then fair enough, I humbly withdraw. But I reckon the answer is no, in which case who the hell cares.

Edit: since I've got my beer head on (all day drinking's a bad thing kids) I'll just add that I'm not trying to piss anyone off; we're all supporting the same club after all. But I really can't see how this is a big deal.

Edited by Crusoe

its a shame, i would have like to have seen Wes in the Latics end pissed up singing "your not fit to wear the shirt!" at his friends and work colleagues with the rest of the numptys.....

i bet Dikov would have really appreciated it

Quick question........

Did PD make it mandatory for injured players to attend or did they have the choice?

I'm very loyal to my company but if I was off sick and had the choice to attend a sales meeting in Scotland but sit at the side and be not allowed to have any influence on it OR allowed to spend time with my family instead then I know what I'd do.

This is an away match for f*** sake. Wes is most likely sticking to a recovery plan that will include attending the club or doing light exercise, which I would expect he's doing and following his manager's instruction.

What do you expect from him? Attend every away match where the club probably has to pay for his ticket and donuts sit there? He can't represent the club in any hospitality position, he probably won't be allowed in the changing room due to space and just sit around like a spare part. Even if he cheered for 90 minutes or shouted instruction from the stand, you must commend the chap but what influence will that have on team performance? PD is doing that from the touchline at every match and having no influence(!)

This thread is unbelievable. As someone has mentioned, the club doesn't want to spend money on taking players who aren't in the squad on long away journeys, particularly where that involves staying over in a hotel and particularly when the players in question are injured.

Should Cisak, Diamond, Taylor, M'voto, Reid, Wes, Black and Mellor all have arranged their own travel down to Wycombe yesterday?

And, as for the idea that Wes shouldn't be out and about, he's recovering from a shoulder operation; he's not fit to play football but pretty much all right for all non-contact activities. Providing the club don't want him in for training or rehab, he can do as he :censored:ing well pleases.

I think i'm gonna tweet Wes and ask him just how heavy the bags were. My ST money paid for his shoulder op, i don't want him wrecking the surgeon's handiwork carting a tonne of designer gear around.

. My dad is off work with a fractured elbow and his doctor has told him to come back on 10th May to see how things are going with it but not to think he has to stay in because hes off work. He was feeling guilty even being outside the house. Mediscreen said exactly the same try to do the normal things in life but avoid anywhere you might risk a bad knock ie large crowd.... ok even though you are not fit for the work you do.

At least he can still go to home games...

I'm paid to do a job that involves a computer. If my computer doesn't work on Monday, it isn't OK for me to go shopping instead - I'd be expected to do something which doesn't involve a computer....

But if you are sick you wouldn't be required to be at work at all.