Diamond Gone

I'm still shocked he wasn't black.

Had an image in my head of a black centre half. Zander Diamond.

He was always committed. Lacked a little in talent but talked around the pitch well. Must be frustrating knowing you won't play because the club doesn't want to offer you another contract. Can't even play to put yourself in the shop window.

It wont have been a case of 'we can't afford your wage'. If Dickov wanted him here that badly and convinced Corney he was worth it, then he would still be here, or at the very least have been asked to take a wage reduction.

It will have been a case of 'have we got our moneys worth'? Diamonds injury problems are well known and given that the wage budget will be being slashed by at least the 250k or so that they will be losing from TV revenue, it will have been a case of we need more from whoever was on his wage in terms of games played. Given his injury record its obvious Zander Diamond can't offer this.

Do you not think that the idea behind Diamond's exit is that more money can be used to tempt the key players to stay? I don't think the situation is that bad.

Still one thing is clear: as we struggled terribly in defence Dickov was effectively having his side chosen by Corney. Fantastic honesty there from the club. I wasn't aware about this one-game trigger, and a few others were not either.

I'm not overly bothered too much with Zander's exit. If Dickov could re-sign Reece Brown for next season, who has turned out to be very promising, it just leaves Tarkowski, who needs to do a lot of work over the summer. He's got potential, but the risks of playing two young lads in the heart of the defence were all too evident this season.

At least we're not hanging about.

I donlt agree with the statement about Corney picking the team. PD is not stuipid, if at least some of the money Diamond was getting could be used elsewhere then he would have been for the release.

In fact, given the relationship they have both spoken about, and PD only this week,I am quite sure Dickov would have had the final say.

good luck zander.. agree Tarky needs to do a lot of work over the summer, would be great to see Matty Carr have a run in pre-season as he looks quite the part when i have seen him play... anyone know hows he's doing at Woodley?

Noticed Smalling last night made a similar error to one of Tarkys at Sheffield Wednesday by losing his man, put it down to inexperience.

i think if we wanted to keep him we would have done just that as we have done with furman. his injury record along with being a high earner and only an average players has made up dickovs mind. he's just being nice with his words whilst saying goodbye

Some of his performances earlier in the season were awful and I thought we had signed a complete dud, but by Christmas I thought he had improved a lot and we've definitely missed him in the last few months. I think either Mvoto or Tarky would have played better if they had been alongside Diamond more regularly, neither are experienced enough to guide the other through games.

I'm not too sad that we've let him go though. As has been said his injury problems and probable high wage means that he's not worth the hassle for us, but we need to sign an experienced centre-back to replace him. We are kidding ourselves if we think the Mvoto and Tarky partnership will be a successful 1st choice pairing. Brown's looked good when I've seen him play but Mvoto did last year too when on loan and he's had some dodgy spells over this year, young players blow hot and cold unless they are alongside an older head in their position.