Dickov: Either players want to stay or they don't

I'd suggest the one's who haven't signed have already made their minds up, they'll still get paid until their contracts expire and will probably have deals on the table as we discuss the topic.

These lads are looking after their own interests and not those of the club or us fans, our passion won't improve their standards of living or help secure their futures past the age of 35 or so. Whilst it's frustrating, it's life and while we lambast and scoff at their integrity etc......how many reading and commenting on the matter have moved into other employ in order to better their financial circumstances and personal standards!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.oldham-ch...date-for-change

I want players who will run through a brick wall for the club — boss :OASISscarf:

Athletic will avoid “fair-weather” footballers next season — and will focus on ‘hard, honest graft” as the starting point for new talents. :OASISscarf:

Manager Paul Dickov confirms he has already spoken to some players.

“This year I tried to get more talented players in, to try to play the right way - and it hasn’t worked. :OASISscarf:

“So that is where I will be changing it. I want players out there who will run through a brick wall for the football club. But there are also talented players out there who can do that.

WELL SAID that man. 10/10 and a gold star.

So why didn't he sign the players that are talented and will run through brick walls LAST SEASON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another gold star for Mr Dickov in his pursuit for success at Boundary Park!

He's signed players expecting them to perform for us - those who don't are moved on and those that do are retained. It's a slow burn achieving that success at this level with limited funds at your disposal because you can't simply bring in new faces when it doesn't work. The one positive constant is PD at the helm still.

If the likes of Simpson, Lee and Taylor move on then so be it. A thank you from me for playing for us but I want players in the team who want to be here rather than chasing the dream elsewhere. They know the situation financially at OAFC. Make a quick buck elsewhere with a new team, new manager and unknown outcome or earn a decent wage at this level here (in relation to you and I rather than keeping up with the footballin Joneses) and buy into PD's "project".

Can't wait for next season, really fired up...........

Really? Well don't be throwing a mid-season wobbler again, you should know what to expect.

I'll wobble all I want. It's a messageboard invented for sounding off. As unlike a fair few on here I haven't stopped going to games…………………….yet! and for some unknown crazy reason i've just renewed three ST's today…..

Edited by oafcprozac

I think its fair to say if Lee, Wes, Taylor and Simpson haven't accepted offers in two weeks time and don't get fixed up by August : I'm sure PD will take them back!

As I said on Twitter Paddy, I would hope PD had turned his attentions elsewhere and used their portion(s) of the budget accordingly.

There's a balance to be struck though. Call the deadline too early and players may reject simply on the basis that it doesn't give them any time to weigh up their options.

Their options are, Stay or F off. i wish that I had had an an agent working on my behalf when I wanted to move jobs. I didnt, I had to do my own research, while working full time, not part time in the mornings training. Sorry, I agree with PD.Ther are 1,400 or so players going to be available at the end of the season. It is a hard world out there. If you edge your bets, be prepared for a fall

Run through a Brick Wall for the Club - surely that is always the first thing that we should be looking at (stating the bleeding obivious PD) - I for one have always pefer 110% people than 5 minutes of skill.

Look to more players like Wes please for me.

As for 2 weeks - also fine by me plenty of players out of contract at season's end not that many spot in league teams up for grabs - suggest signing people up for 12 months with extra 12 months triggered by club if any good - then we can take the best at season end.

More should be on basic wages - but then incentives for scoring goals / man of the match may improve effort.

Most Important as my post at the start of last season few more Leader on the pitch when Wes and Dean were out I was concerned.

A case of you're with me or you're not.

Any namby pamby waverers out.

Which wanting the through a brick wall types will mean a case of natural selection.

If you are dithering you are out.

yes, with us or sod off. they nearly got us relegated and they didn't play good football. they tried, but they weren't up to it. No craft, no guile, not much of anything. One example. Lee is a solid enough player, but is he really THAT good? first touch is often heavy. passes often go astray. defensive position is often dodgy. I repeat, i think he's okay at this level, but please, he can be replaced, and he's one of the better players.The same is true of everyone. So if he and any of the others want to go, then, in all honesty, sod off. you can and will be replaced with players at very least as 'good' or should i say average.

we need to work with a squad by very early July, not the end of August.

I'm behind PD all the way over this. I don't really want to shell out my hard earned on players who are not commited......the same players who have too high an opinion of themselves.

I'm all for players striving to reach the highest level they can play at...........but don't piss us about.

What you think of the row about the CCQF?

Drawn Wigoon too early I think, suppose you have to meet the best to be the best at some point. Pat Richards is out for a bit - could work in our favour.

I think this is an area where the football league should look to step in and help clubs really.

We have a situation where the players are holding out to the end of august to get the best deals can’t blame them for this really they are always going to look after number 1 first and foremost. However by this point the season has already started. Surely they would do everyone a favour by bringing the summer transfer window to a close a month earlier on the 31st of July. This way everyone gets their squad together before the start of the season.

Its not just clubs at our level that are suffering because of the situation where Luka Modric future was uncertain at Tottenham was clearly effecting their start to the season. Surely the FA and football league could get their heads together and close the domestic transfer window at the end of July rather than dragging it into august would surely be a good thing all round.

I think this is an area where the football league should look to step in and help clubs really.

We have a situation where the players are holding out to the end of august to get the best deals can’t blame them for this really they are always going to look after number 1 first and foremost. However by this point the season has already started. Surely they would do everyone a favour by bringing the summer transfer window to a close a month earlier on the 31st of July. This way everyone gets their squad together before the start of the season.

Its not just clubs at our level that are suffering because of the situation where Luka Modric future was uncertain at Tottenham was clearly effecting their start to the season. Surely the FA and football league could get their heads together and close the domestic transfer window at the end of July rather than dragging it into august would surely be a good thing all round.

That would only make a difference to the players at the top end - there's no way you could legally bar signing out of contract ones, which is the norm at our end. I think the windows have been a failure overall and should be dropped.

Well yeah, we all know it'll lay like the last couple of years, scraping the barrell for a starting XI come mid-August…but we can hope. For the record I think Lee will panic and stay.

why would you think he will panic,he may stay yes but it certainly won;t be because he is panicking..he has no need to panic

Kieran won't panic, he has no need to do so....there is a huge interest in him. The lad has grown stronger in his mental state as he has grown in his footballing career, he's given 100% for this club and that has brought to the fore his real ability and his worth to any manager. What you get from the lad is all he can give but you get that week in week out, that's why he's the first name on the sheet each game!!

There was a time when i guess he questioned his own ability etc but the lad had the world at his feet an early age and was on the cusp of the big time, he blew it and ended up in football's wilderness for a short while, instead of sinking into obscurity he pulled up his socks and got his head down! He isn't the greatest ability wise but he's got a big heart and is willing to learn, we've had the benefit of that major part of his career and he has grown into a better all round player, he will improve more. I have nothing but admiration for the way he's grown and got a grip on his career, he could so easily have spiralled down the football pyramid but over the last three years he's arrested the situation and is looking upwards.

I know he's in no state of panic, he loves it at Oldham but he's got some big decisions to make.....he's earned the interest that's evident at the moment and he needs to consider his options carefully. I hope he makes the best decision for himself and for his future, if that's not with us then that's his choice. It's no slant on the club or PD, i know he has nothing but great admiration for the management team and all the staff.

I've read with interest the peoples opinion of the lad over the last few seasons and i'd say that the greater majority have taken him to their hearts, he's unassuming and just gets on with the job in hand, a model pro!! I wish we were in a position to keep him and nurture his talent but we aren't, life moves on and so will Kieran......nothing personal just a moment in time!!

Edited by Traffordtic

players with quality are good to watch but look at Scapuzzi, you get closed down and barely make an impact. If you're half decent and put the effort in (Wes, Furman, Gregan etc) you'll do well. Sheffield Wednesday have shown you dont need a lot of quality to do well. hopefully dickov will get the right mix between players with a bit of quality but will always play for the club.

looking forward to see who we get in

players with quality are good to watch but look at Scapuzzi, you get closed down and barely make an impact. If you're half decent and put the effort in (Wes, Furman, Gregan etc) you'll do well. Sheffield Wednesday have shown you dont need a lot of quality to do well. hopefully dickov will get the right mix between players with a bit of quality but will always play for the club.

looking forward to see who we get in

Isn't it best to get a mixture of both i.e get your wes's furmans, gregans and to an extent Warnes to win the ball so your Scapuzzi's, morais, wellens types who can get on the ball and make things happen.