Bar Facilities

Every home match at least 7mates spend £7/8 each in a local pub.... this would be spent at BP if adequate facilities were provided. I think this is a tremendous lossof revenue/profit to the club and short sightedness on the commercial dept. ...Comments please.

How much of that £7 or £8 is profit?

How many pubs run at a profit?

How would a bar run at a profit if it only served drinks for two hours a fortnight?

The case for a bar is weak if you look at it in isolation. It becomes stronger when you look at it from a match day experience perspective. Get them in to the club bar to watch the Sky 12.45pm kick off. Serve some beers. Sell them a pie for lunch. Get them in to their seats at BP. Entertain them with the on pitch product. Back into the bar for some post match beers with the ESPN game on.

Edited by opinions4u

How much of that £7 or £8 is profit?

How many pubs run at a profit?

How would a bar run at a profit if it only served drinks for two hours a fortnight?

The case for a bar is week if you look at it in isolation. It becomes stronger when you look at it from a match day experience perspective. Get them in to the club bar to watch the Sky 12.45pm kick off. Serve some beers. Sell them a pie for lunch. Get them in to their seats at BP. Entertain them with the on pitch product. Back into the bar for some post match beers with the ESPN game on.

Depends on how many people go into the bar. Could quite easily do a football ground where there is potential for a couple of thousand customers. Unlikely I know. Say the attendance is 4,000. Around what, 500 may want a beer? Realistic number? Say we charged £2.50 per pint. Thats £1250 for a couple of hours. Surely it couldn't cost more than to run? Any profit is profit, even if small.

Every home match at least 7mates spend £7/8 each in a local pub.... this would be spent at BP if adequate facilities were provided. I think this is a tremendous lossof revenue/profit to the club

and short sightedness on the commercial dept. ...Comments please.

I'm telling the owner of the grey mare your wicked plans pete! :~p

Can safely say if we had a bar and football on in that bar me and the father in law would happily spend at least £10 each pre game and if they showed it after we would spend £10 each on the game on espn in the evening

Thats £40 from us, not to mention numerous cokes, crisps and sweets from nephew so prob in fact closer to £50 per game on weekends

Depends on how many people go into the bar. Could quite easily do a football ground where there is potential for a couple of thousand customers. Unlikely I know. Say the attendance is 4,000. Around what, 500 may want a beer? Realistic number? Say we charged £2.50 per pint. Thats £1250 for a couple of hours. Surely it couldn't cost more than to run? Any profit is profit, even if small.

THe profit of beer is generally accepted to be between 15-35%, lets aay 33% for ease but care because OAFC won;t have the max buying power, my guess would be nearer 25%

So that is £450

Take off the VAT for starters, so that is £250

So that leaves not even £200

Then 3 staff (more if you want serving quickly) for 4 hours to diy up and on one will come in for 2 hours work.

3 x 6.08 x 4 +NI + training you need = o ver £100

So it might make £100

Never mind the electricity costs etc.

I'd say nailed on a loss.

Edited by singe

My favourite subject!!

On Saturday v Carlisle I arrived at the Rochdale Road End at 12-30 (to sell programmes).

Already at this point there were 11 visitors coaches on the car park (with no sign of any visiting supporters). They had all disappeared elsewhere.

Other coaches arrived within the next 10-15 minutes and all I get asked is where is the nearest place we can get a beer.

They could actually get a beer inside the ground if they could get in - Turnstiles do not open until 1-45 (if we are lucky!!)

I feel that we are missing a huge opportunity here (as I have mentioned on previous threads about this).

There is currently only a licence to sell beer for a certain amount of time!! - get a new licence to serve between the hours of 12 & 6 (this is only for probably 20 (max) home games that we have on a Saturday).

Only sell from the current kiosks - there is probably enough staff already to cope (maybe employ 1 additional person to both sides)

Only sell bottles (at £2-50 / £3 per bottle) - These can be stocked in the current fridges, ice barrels etc (it's not as if it is ever warm at BP anyway is it??)

Get the roof extended from the back of the RRE to the turnstiles so that you are under cover as soon as you have gone through the turnstiles.

Get a couple of large flat screen tv's to show the "live" lunchtime game and a results service for after the game.

Get all refreshments back under OAFC and not let other companies make the profits.

Get a turnstile open early and get supporters in spending. (instead of sending them off to the local pubs where they usually do not arrive back at the ground until nearing kick off)

As well as beer sales we should also see an increase in the sale of pies, crisps etc.

Outgoings would be for a Turnstile operator on both sides to work a bit longer (by opening earlier), a couple of Stewards starting earlier (on either side). The majority of Stewards are at the ground this early anyway!! and the refreshment girls starting a little bit earlier (they too are usually in the kiosks quite early anyway).

This is mainly thought out for away supporters (to get them in the ground early and spending money with us instead of elsewhere) but I'm sure that if we just did it for them we would have complaints that home supporters also want to have the same facilities available.

I kept trying to push this back when I was involved with the Trust but nobody would take it up.

We surely now need to have "new" ways for the club to make more money on matchdays. This is never going to happen until we get supporters into the ground earlier than we currently do.

Dave Hudson

Singe ..quite a few away grounds charge £3 for a can of bitter/lager which cost 75p.....recalculate your figures on this basis.

And add the cost of SKY/ESPN which ain't cheap for commerical premises Edited by Dave_Og

A great idea but you have to remember that Latics and commen sense don't go,plus if you did that in the rocky end people in the chaddy and mainstand would moan

If it was for the away end only they might not. Let's face it exiles aside no home fan arrives at the ground at 1pm. Away fans do so regularly. Home fans will spread themselves out amongst the local pubs, away fans won't. The Clayton Green was quite busy pre and post match on Saturday but a lot of that was away fans. If the Club opened up the away end early enough it would get custom. The Clayton Green doesn't have Sky, the ground does, in the Main Stand anyway. Before Saturday's game there was no football on telly, and that happens quite a lot.

We currently have a vast empty space at the ground, yet the home end doesn't have a bar. Those two things shouldn't co-exist.

And add the cost of SKY/ESPN which ain't cheap for commerical premises

Dave

I'm sure that the club must already "satellite" (or certainly used to have) as the games are / were usually being shown in the boardroom, in the club shop, used to be in the Royle bar etc. I remember that a Trust team went begging to Curry's, Comet and the likes to provide the club with large flat screens in return for - putting their "name" on all Trust correspondance, tickets to events etc, etc

Dave Hudson

Dave

I'm sure that the club must already "satellite" (or certainly used to have) as the games are / were usually being shown in the boardroom, in the club shop, used to be in the Royle bar etc. I remember that a Trust team went begging to Curry's, Comet and the likes to provide the club with large flat screens in return for - putting their "name" on all Trust correspondance, tickets to events etc, etc

Dave Hudson

Now that lady has won a that court case allowing pubs to use foriegn channels i reckon prices will drop.

People seem to think that if there was a bar at the ground they would turn up and drink loads there.

Most people meet in a pub so they can travel to the game together.

Most people drink at a pub because it is cheaper and better beer (bigger choice) than a bar at the ground.

While there is money to be made in booze, it would be foolish to think that everyone who drinks before a game would abandon their routines for a new bar.

Unless the new bar is the absolute tits. - i.e. cheap booze, good music, sport, tits.

People seem to think that if there was a bar at the ground they would turn up and drink loads there.

Most people meet in a pub so they can travel to the game together.

Most people drink at a pub because it is cheaper and better beer (bigger choice) than a bar at the ground.

While there is money to be made in booze, it would be foolish to think that everyone who drinks before a game would abandon their routines for a new bar.

Unless the new bar is the absolute tits. - i.e. cheap booze, good music, sport, tits.

I agree with you for home fans, I think that instead of staying in the pub until 14:55 better bars in the ground, or an actual bar in the Chaddy, some home fans might get in earlier for a pint before the game, maximum.

Away fans, however, it's another matter. Away fans shouldn't be arriving at 1pm to find they can't get in the ground for an hour. So being forced to walk 10 minutes to go to a pub.

ive been in the box for the pie & pint games 3 times i think, with 5 mates each time. we got there for the 12:45 ko, had 3/4 pints before latics at about £3.50 a pint, our free pint at half time, then a couple more after and watched the 5:15 ko after a couples of times. so thats around £42 from the 6 of us per game.

im sure if there were a main bar or other bar facilties around the ground then plenty of fans would go meet there and watch sky. other teams have so must be worth their while. rochale have a good bar on site