With us having no right back or left and many people wanting nathan clarke in why don't we try a new formation for next season. We can have mvoto, brown and nathan clarke at the back. Midfield we can have a holding player in wesolowski centre midfield furman and attacking midfielder simpson. Sign new wingers and have new strikers. This is on the basis that all these players sign

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too:

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;

If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same:.

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings,

And never breathe a word about your loss:

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much:

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

Ladies and Gentleman Oldham will be playing FOUR...FOUR...:censored:ING.....TWO!

Edited by palmer1

With us having no right back or left and many people wanting nathan clarke in why don't we try a new formation for next season. We can have mvoto, brown and nathan clarke at the back. Midfield we can have a holding player in wesolowski centre midfield furman and attacking midfielder simpson. Sign new wingers and have new strikers. This is on the basis that all these players sign

we'd get absolutely killed.

hmm i dont think we have wingers who work had enough. Morrais as much as his work rate has improved wont do it for 90 mins.

I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option but i think 442 will do us for most games

agree with this.

might as well buy a lb and rb instead of new wingers.

cant clarke play lb and brown rb?

clarke mvoto tarky brown

I think I've spotted the flaw in this scheme.

In this league, we will play 442 or 4411. It's a limitation of the majority of players that float around at this level in that they'll get plaudits for 'doing their jobs'. The minute you try and change their jobs, there'll be carnage. Blood and tears everywhere.

We'd get friggin murdered. Try playing 3 centre-backs in this league, you can see it'll be destroyed, league one football is based on wingers getting down the wing, but hey, lets just move the full-backs outta it. We got slaughtered down our left side as it is!

Also there was some analysis on Exeter when they played a 5 back line, 3 CB's. Showed how they always had an extra man back, rather than getting forward. Most of the time they had 3 CB's dealing with one striker. Showed how they was always lacking one player further forward when attacking. 3 CB's starting is basically a waste..

Surely it makes more sense to fit the Furmalowski pairing in behind Simpson as a playmaker and allow wingers to alternate in with him? When we went well last year that was what we played, and until we lost confidence it had some success.

A Craig Davies striker, with pace but a bit of height, to lead that out could work well, but most importantly we need to get someone in who can score.

Also, anyone else fancy Adayemi at RB?

Dowie used it to great effect but had far better players and I think it would suit Simpson to play behind two strikers. But it would be dependent on signing a couple of decent centre backs and two wing-backs (not to mention Simpson), which may prove tricky.

Surely it makes more sense to fit the Furmalowski pairing in behind Simpson as a playmaker and allow wingers to alternate in with him? When we went well last year that was what we played, and until we lost confidence it had some success.

A Craig Davies striker, with pace but a bit of height, to lead that out could work well, but most importantly we need to get someone in who can score.

If he turns in performances like the one at Anfield (conceding the penalty aside) then absolutely.

we have to be careful that it's not all square pegs in round holes here! anyone who saw brown at lb at rochdale will agree it is not his position,adeyemi for me is an attacking midfielder and clarke hasn't got the pace to play rb.

can we not go for defenders who can actually defend! and let the chosen midfield/forward line worry about attacking?

we have to be careful that it's not all square pegs in round holes here! anyone who saw brown at lb at rochdale will agree it is not his position,adeyemi for me is an attacking midfielder and clarke hasn't got the pace to play rb.

can we not go for defenders who can actually defend! and let the chosen midfield/forward line worry about attacking?

Adeyemi's performances suggest to me he should convert to a fullback because he's crap in midfield.

Tounkara? Not the best with finishing though!

What we don't want again at home games is two holding players who hardly cross the halfway line or supply the wide men - as often happened last season, this IMO is what annoyed fans more than anything else, at home you are expected to take the game to the opposition, not treat it like an away match.

I'd sign Tonks without question - I've always been a fan in spite of his shonky finishing...

As for Adayemi - I think having the game in front of him is much more natural at his age. I'd like to see him back too, because he absolutely loved it. Legend

We'd get friggin murdered. Try playing 3 centre-backs in this league, you can see it'll be destroyed, league one football is based on wingers getting down the wing, but hey, lets just move the full-backs outta it. We got slaughtered down our left side as it is!

Also there was some analysis on Exeter when they played a 5 back line, 3 CB's. Showed how they always had an extra man back, rather than getting forward. Most of the time they had 3 CB's dealing with one striker. Showed how they was always lacking one player further forward when attacking. 3 CB's starting is basically a waste..

That was a Zonal Marking column wasn't it? Pretty good read iirc.

3 centre backs can work well against 2 up front but it falls down when playing against a 4-3-3/4-5-1 as the centre backs either get stretched too far wide or are 3v1 in the middle off the pitch.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh