Prometheus

Matt

I've been waiting a loooooong time for this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5UEv03g51kU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks a lot like Alien/Aliens - but obviously much updated and you can expect exceptional special effects with Ridley Scott - looks like it is going to be worth watching.

• 2 months later...

Went to see Prometheus last night at the IMAX. It seems to have had a really mixed bag of reviews from the 5 star (which admittedly are few and far between) to the 1 star, people who hated it.

For what it's worth...

This move has ideas. Ideas it doesn't quite know how to answer. As a standalone movie, it is a grand affair, with a better held together plot than people give it credit for. The problem for most people is that they wanted a war. "Go to a planet - find a race of aliens and fight"!!!!

That does not happen.

It was very much an opening movie to me. As if there is another one very much in the pipe line.

It lacks the creepiness of alien or the action of aliens, but as a film in it's ownright I did enjoy it. It doesn't match up to the hype though. It's the first blockbuster in a while with a vison of what it wants to achieve and has ideas rather than just A + B + C + D = GUTTED. The problem is though it doesn't answer its questions.

Overall I seem to have enjoyed it more than most have.. 4 out of 5.

******SPOILER ALERT******

The cesearen scene is brutal and up there with anything I've watched in any of the original alien series.

The Caesarian scene was just plain stupid. Staples herself back up and runs about trying to escape the installation? Pfft.

Here's another plot hole: David's head get's smashed off yet after the Space Jockey's ship is hit with Prometheus, falls out of the sky and it rolls along the floor like a big hoop for a bit before coming to rest, his noggin is still in the bridge with his body when he talks to Shaw. And the Prometheus ramming the alien ship in itself is hard to accept - the three crew members readily accepting suicide? I doubt it.

'Where's that ship going?'

'Earth, and it'll destroy everything'

'Uh-uh.....and you want us to do what exactly?'

'Well, you've got to stop it!'

'How?'

'Well I'm on the planets surface so you're going to have to commit suicide with the rest of the crew and ram it with your spacerocket'

'That's easy for you to say! :censored: no.'

Rant over.

For now.

2 out of the 3 points you raised there were my major issues with the ending (which is where the film let itself down for me). Especially "pay me on the otherside" - that didn't ring true to me either. I had never thought about the head though, good point.

As for shaw running about - I understand the inital rush to get out of there, but that was something we all mentioned when we left the cinema.

Edited by pukka

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got round to seeing this last night. Majorly disappointed. A fantastically well made film, poorly executed. Beautiful to look at with some staggering effects but just....dull. Huge holes in the plot and just a lack (one scene apart) of the stuff that made the heart race when watching the first two films in the Alien series.

Maybe it will stand up better if/when they make a sequel. Maybe the editing stuffed it up a bit; the (seemingly) inevitable director's cut may answer some of the gaping holes in the story. In its own right, though, I found this pretty tedious.

What a let down.

• 3 months later...

I watched this yesterday and like many of the other posters on here I was disappointed overall. It looked nice, Fastbender was very good but that is about it as far as the praise goes. I think they had the last scene in mind and then had to work backwards from there, they probably came up with the first scene and the whole "engineer" thing afterwards and it all felt crowbarred in. Far too many unanswered questions that were needlessly unanswered, the black liquid for example and the snake/alien things were they part of the engineer's plans? Start human life on earth then use the humans as incubators for the aliens? This could have been covered with one scene:

Hologram plays or they find carvings on the wall

David: I can read that.

Unidentified crew member: Go on then.

David: Our masterplan is to start life on planets then use them to farm aliens which we then colonise the rest of the universe with.

Unidentified crew member: Bummer, that's not very nice.

The whole "there is only death here" and the way they ramped up the fact that the engineers wanted to destroy human life wasn't fully explained, I've sure if the engineers wanted to wipe out the humans they would have come up with a far easier way of doing it than the whole incubate a bunch of homicidal alien creatures that kill everything in sight method. Nuking from space works far easier and is probably more effective.

Then the return of the iffy robot/android, hasn't this already been done? Repeatedly? Why do people still create robots in the future/past/whenever, they never work as expected.

The grumpy crew members who are "only here for the paycheck buddy." Tired, tired, tired. None of us particularly like our work but if it involves being hired by a faceless organisation, shot into space, put into stasis and then face an uncertain event does everyone develop the same hackneyed personality traits?

The crash the prometheus into the engineer ship, riiight, the less said about that the better. Then once the alien has done their thing with the engineer where did it go? Surely it would have squeezed itself out of that ship and chased the woman?

No sir, I didn't like it, a lot more could have been done with start from nothing and end up at a point before the alien film takes place. I know Prometheus isn't a direct prequel but to end it with that final shot of an alien emerging kinda kicks all those claims into touch.