Well impressed with tonight's showing. Cautiously optimistic for the coming season.

We played tonight like we started the 2010-2011 season - and that style brought us very decent rewards until the wheels came off and we slipped down the league.

Tactical points of note for me:

M'Chanagame isnt a left winger - but neither was Allessandra in 2010-211. He (Youssef) used the ball well and was solid enough; without every doing a 'winger's role' and beating a man and crossing. What he did do was work really hard, and Tucked inside a heck of a lot - meaning our central midfield looked very strong. I like the look of that, and am actually happy to leave it as it - I now think an outright LW would unbalance us on the showing of tonight.

Our 2 new fullbacks have really added to what we had last season and as a back 5 now, we look far more solid. Neither Grounds nor Byrne lost a header tonight IIRC, and you couldnt say that about Lee & Black / Mellor / Diallo last season. Both full-backs aren't blessed with pace, but positioning was decent and reading was good also.

Tarky was immense, really impressive and JYM did very well - good to see from a notorous slow-starter.

The linking and movement of the front 2 was great. Neither Rui or Robbie stayed still, and both seemed comfortble in eithers role - interchanging was happening all the time; Rui dropping deep in the #10 role whilst Robbi went high & visa versa. That did look a promising, blossoming partnership. IMO, Rui needs to be signed up - he can play the #10 role if Robbie is out with A N Other ahead of him (Taylor by the looks of it is next in line); or play in partnership with Simpson a la tonight. I'd say he's a must to be signed.

1st time I've seen Croft since his return and IMO he's carrying a stone extra of timber - and IMO it needs to be shifted. The touch is there, the footballing brain is there, the body isn't. Once it is, I think he'll rip it up in League One, so crash diet is in order IMO.

Furman & Wes had a good battle with De Jong tonight - lots of needle and bite, good to see. I don think there's many better CM duo's in L1.

Cisak pulled off 2 cracking saves, but looked dodgy on 2 rushes from his area and on a couple of his kicks too.

All in all, well impressed. If you can't take positivs & build on them from beating a very strong side from the Premier League Champions, then you might as well give up. Hopefully PD uses this win to instill the belief in the side that we could, maybe, have a good season this time. It looks promising, it really does.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only a friendly....... Wasn't it?

But aren't they all, when you think about it? Wars aren't won or lost as a result of any game. In the grand scheme of things, none of them really matter. Do they?

Impressed by Jonathan Grounds' tweet after the game, he could be forgiven for getting a bit giddy after scoring an injury time winner against City in his first game at Boundary Park but instead his response was "Still some things we need to work on but good to continue winning".

But aren't they all, when you think about it? Wars aren't won or lost as a result of any game. In the grand scheme of things, none of them really matter. Do they?

Impressed by Jonathan Grounds' tweet after the game, he could be forgiven for getting a bit giddy after scoring an injury time winner against City in his first game at Boundary Park but instead his response was "Still some things we need to work on but good to continue winning".

Puts nerd knowledge hat on,

Apart from Honduras and El Salvador who went to war for a couple of days after a world cup qualifying playoff in 1969.

Takes nerd knowledge hat off

Found this on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcEJ6KyeXkM

Also, on the official site it states, for City's goal...

"It was Santa Cruz who equalised after Latics' keeper Alex Cisak collided with his team-mate Jean-Yves M'voto.

The Paraguayan striker seized on the mistake to cooly round Cisak to score."

As I said, the site is a joke.

Programme was no better, I expect more from the club . Apparently Scott Vernon scored with 16 minutes to go in the famous FA Cup win?! WTF? Who proof read that? And apparently in the week before we beat them at Maine Road in 1999 City won 6-0 at Bournemouth, nope it was Burnley at Turf Moor. Who's doing the research?

It was only a friendly....... Wasn't it?

I am sure even the most deluded is not going to think we are going to be champions, but you cna only beat what is in front of you.

Nonetheless, City should have thrashed us with that team.

If we'd lost 2-1 there'd have been a :censored:load of posts saying how we're in for a massive struggle this season.

It was a friendly. There's no competitive element to it. It's all about fitness and brushing up on tactics. Whether we win or lose is irrelevant.

If we'd lost 2-1 there'd have been a :censored:load of posts saying how we're in for a massive struggle this season.

It was a friendly. There's no competitive element to it. It's all about fitness and brushing up on tactics. Whether we win or lose is irrelevant.

I get that Zorrro and agree for the most part, ish (!!)

There were plenty of times last night where City players (De Jong and the sub 16 excluded) pulled out of challenges, which clearly wouldn't happen in a league or cup fixture BUT

For a 'friendly' I thought it was nicely competitive, had a decent edge to it and was contested. We clearly wanted to win it, whereas I think City were more focused on mere game time, but I have no issue with PD sending his side out to win. Winning breeds confidence, scoring goals breeds confidence. That will have done the side so much good last night - playing a game in a pretty full ground in pre-season, against very; very talented players and winning - and the main positive I take from it - 80 to 90mins game time with no injuries to any of our 1st choice players.

Roll on the season!!!

I can't agree with that City's 1st 60 minute team had the best GK in possibly the world, the best CB in country, the 2nd best LB in the country and arguably the world 3 top midfielders from European national teams, and Paraguyan striker who earns enough money to wipe out our debt in a year. One if their other players was on loan at a championship side last season. Some of the players they bought on have been on loan at our level.

I don't think many would have been moaning if we had were 3-0 down when they took their big name players off. I didn't see many people moaning when we got spanked by Liverpool. If we had been beaten 2-1 and they had played their last 30 minute side for more than half the game then I think this board might have been full of doom and gloomers. As it was we held a side who should on paper thrash us for 60 minutes and then beat a side who are probably league 2 standard 1-0 over 30 minutes.

I am massively optimistic about this season.

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves, yes its been a very good pre season, but that's 'pre season' , this season is looking more promising than last season but I still think we're a couple of players short, if Simmo gets injured we're fooked. Im as optimistic as anyone, I just think people shouldn't get all excited that we're gonna get promotion after we've won some pre season friendlies

Let's not get to ahead of ourselves, yes its been a very good pre season, but that's 'pre season' , this season is looking more promising than last season but I still think we're a couple of players short, if Simmo gets injured we're fooked. Im as optimistic as anyone, I just think people shouldn't get all excited that we're gonna get promotion after we've won some pre season friendlies

I've been skim reading granted, but i don't think i've seen anyone saying that?

I'm optimistic for this season, and I think we're on for an improved league position over last season. Mid table would actually be a very decent achievement, and would continue the progression.....play-off talk has only been from Corney as far as I can see, and IMO; it's a little far fetched.

I'm not getting carried away, this tiny squad will easily be decimated by injuries and suspensions and there's very little in reserve in terms of experience. If what I have heard about the reserve team being scrapped is true then a fair few need to be loaned out for a month or two, recalled as and when we need them. Particularly Millar and Winchester.

Having said that, despite being a striker short apart the starting XI looks good. But let's wait until the end of August before we forge an opinion - Sheff Wed, MK Dongs, Stevenage and Walsall will provide much sterner tests than any friendly. Always nice to beat the Mancs though...

Our tempo has looked good and for me we are ready for a competitive game already, with 12 days to go before our competitive debut I think there's a risk we may go in a little overcooked.

I think next week we should take it easier, no more need for the double sessions that they have continued into this week - except maybe Croft, who could do with a couple of runs round Tandle Hills...

Edited by oafcprozac

snip snip

I think next week we should take it easier, no more need for the double sessions that they have continued into this week - except maybe Croft, who could do with a couple of runs round Tandle Hills...

Said that on a post last night.

The touch is there, the footballing brain too....just the body is carrying at least an extra stone of bulk/weight and it needs shifting. Once it does, he should rip full-backs in league one a new one every game really.

Less Nandos and more double sessions for Mr Croft IMO

I am sure even the most deluded is not going to think we are going to be champions, but you cna only beat what is in front of you.

Nonetheless, City should have thrashed us with that team.

Wrong! I am the most deluded, and I think we're going to be champions :wink:

Said that on a post last night.

The touch is there, the footballing brain too....just the body is carrying at least an extra stone of bulk/weight and it needs shifting. Once it does, he should rip full-backs in league one a new one every game really.

Less Nandos and more double sessions for Mr Croft IMO

bollocks. He put the biggest shift in out of anybody last night. He looks in good shape.