176 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of this design?

• Yeah - it looks mint
    • Nah - it's not right

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number of seats is just right for me. Didn't we only average about 13k in the PL? Thats the PL, not even the championship. So for those who are bitching about capacity. just remember that.

Oh, and one word - Darlington.

The average was 13K because the capacity was low. If I remember rightly we sold 9K+ season tickets the 1st season (more than Chelsea sold). Any stand is better than no stand, but we need to build for the future not the present if we have ambitions to play at a higher level. If not then 3000 is fine. A bigger stand would allow more retail space etc. How much more it would cost I don't know, but it would bring in more income when it's built.

The average was 13K because the capacity was low. If I remember rightly we sold 9K+ season tickets the 1st season (more than Chelsea sold). Any stand is better than no stand, but we need to build for the future not the present if we have ambitions to play at a higher level. If not then 3000 is fine. A bigger stand would allow more retail space etc. How much more it would cost I don't know, but it would bring in more income when it's built.

Surely a smaller seating capacity allows more retail space as you have the ability to build more on the back of the stand.

The stand is a perfect size and is what we need.. we need to trust Simon Corneys judgement on this, he knows what he's doing!

There should be an option on this poll to say "its alright". However I do agree that we should be happy to be staying in our home! and i think more details will get the imaginations going and start to build a positive atmosphere off the pitch to match the football we shall be watching.

In Corney I trust!

Quarmby out!! ;)

Hopefully when the new stand is built, it can then bring some atmosphere back. The guys/kids in the RRE do their bit admittedly but it'd be nice to get the atmosphere back as a whole.

Well, i presume that the RRE will become closed for Homr supporters once more and we will be given the choice of Chaddy End, New or Old main stand - this may generate a good atmosphere, however i can see the old main stand becoming the most popular stand as seats will be the cheapest, it'll be the new lookers!

Just to compare the current plan with the plan for the Broadway stand in the Oldham Arena project.

NORTH STAND

Currently the Broadway Stand, this would become the new main stand with a seating capacity of 5,200.

At ground floor level it would accommodate the main players' and executive entrances with a shop, ticketing office, cafe and restaurant, with turnstile access to the first floor concourse.

Conference/banqueting facilities for up to 1000 guests would be provided for match and non-matchdays.

Upper floors would house club offices, a directors' suite and executive boxes with external seating.

Above third floor level would be 85,000 square feet of lettable office accommodation on up to three separate levels.

Ian Hill said: "At present, large business conferences, school presentation evenings, wedding receptions and any event at which a large number of people gather are being held outside of town.

"With this in mind, we propose to build facilities within our new main stand that would accommodate 500 people for banqueting and 1,000 people, theatre-style for conferences."

http://stadiumdb.com...ng/oldham_arena

Capacity wasn't as low as 13k, it only dropped to that once standing was got rid of after we went down. A bigger stand potentially could bring in more income, but only if there is demand for it.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Capacity was just under 19,000 first season 91/92

Reduced to just over 17,000 when RRE was rebuilt by 92/93

Capacity slightly reduced again in 93/94 in line with Taylor report recommendations re: gangways, gates and barriers, limits on top-flight terracing. August 1994 was the first deadline for banning terracing in the English Top-Flight as stated in The Taylor Report.

Pinch me season

Highest Attendance 89/90 19,490 FAQ v Aston Villa (League 17,468 v Wolves)

Lowest 4,940 v Plymouth (Cup 7,712 v Scarborough)

Highest Attendance 91/92 v Liverpool 18,552

Lowest 12,125 v Notts County

Highest 92/93 v 17,106 v Manchester United

Lowest 10,946 v QPR

Highest 93/94 16,708 v Manchester United

Lowest 9,633 v Wimbledon

Edited by oafcprozac

Just to compare the current plan with the plan for the Broadway stand in the Oldham Arena project.

NORTH STAND

Currently the Broadway Stand, this would become the new main stand with a seating capacity of 5,200.

At ground floor level it would accommodate the main players' and executive entrances with a shop, ticketing office, cafe and restaurant, with turnstile access to the first floor concourse.

Conference/banqueting facilities for up to 1000 guests would be provided for match and non-matchdays.

Upper floors would house club offices, a directors' suite and executive boxes with external seating.

Above third floor level would be 85,000 square feet of lettable office accommodation on up to three separate levels.

Ian Hill said: "At present, large business conferences, school presentation evenings, wedding receptions and any event at which a large number of people gather are being held outside of town.

"With this in mind, we propose to build facilities within our new main stand that would accommodate 500 people for banqueting and 1,000 people, theatre-style for conferences."

http://stadiumdb.com...ng/oldham_arena

It prob would have been built by now, we might have been breaking even and we could have been fighting up near the top of the league or better. Instead money has been lost to keeping us afloat.

It prob would have been built by now, we might have been breaking even and we could have been fighting up near the top of the league or better. Instead money has been lost to keeping us afloat.

Or it might be a white elephant full of empty offices.

Oldham Athletic does not need an increase in seating capacity, it needs an increase in income which is exactly what this stand will bring us.

Spot on. Didn't like it at first, thought it looked too small (seating-wise), but we're still unlikely to sell it out, and it looks far better than the Tesco that Simon Corney could justifiably make a case for building there.

This is more likely..

With cut backs in the NHS and other organisations, are they really going to need offices in a league one football ground.

If they got the lease signed, it wouldn't have mattered. It also depends how the NHS were going to use the offices, could have potentially saved them money.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

If they got the lease signed, it wouldn't have mattered. It also depends how the NHS were going to use the offices, could have potentially saved them money.

For good or ill, NHS spending isn't being reduced. Office space prices are going to be on the floor for a long while though.

For good or ill, NHS spending isn't being reduced. Office space prices are going to be on the floor for a long while though.

This is what's worrying me. What exactly are these "income streams" which keep getting mentioned? I really can't see businesses or retailers hiring space off us. Are they going to put a gym, hotel or restaurant in there (and would they even generate much business)? We're left with conference/banqueting facilities which may or may not be popular but is that realistically going to generate the £££s we need it to?

I just hope the leg room is good (I say this in every thread on the subject in the hope that someone important reads it).

Edited by bossrocks

This is what's worrying me. What exactly are these "income streams" which keep getting mentioned? I really can't see businesses or retailers hiring space off us. Are they going to put a gym, hotel or restaurant in there (and would they even generate much business)? We're left with conference/banqueting facilities which may or may not be popular but is that realistically going to generate the £££s we need it to?

I just hope the leg room is good (I say this in every thread on the subject in the hope that someone important reads it).

Massive money in conference & banqueting.

Especially at football grounds.

I always seem to be at them. I even took an exam at the Galpharm recently.

I hope offices are a part of it too. I'll have one if they're similarly priced to Blackburns. And you'd expect Blackburns to be priced higher.

after going to Old Trafford the other week i was surprised that the leg room there isnt great Im a short arse so i was OK but the bloke in front was sat side saddle for most of the match before moving to the end of a row. It must meet some minimun standard or something so I cant see ours being much better.

Edited by bluehobbit

Conferencing is big business and companies like to hold them in prestigeous places. A new facility at OAFC would be considered to be prestigeous for local businesses and its got good motorway links.

In regards to whether we can rent out space, are your thought presumptions or do you have much knowledge in this area? I would expect SC to have done a bit of work and Ian Hill, who runs a large property firm in the area, will know about the local market and will have a lot of links to business.

after going to Old Trafford the other week i was surprised that the leg room there isnt great Im a short arse so i was OK but the bloke in front was sat side saddle for most of the match before moving to the end of a row. It must meet some minimun standard or something so I cant see ours being much better.

Is there an email address to feedback for the consultation? I was at OT last night in the top tier of the North Stand and thought the room was terrible. I think it will put people off from going if its like that. Man U can get away with it but I don't think OAFC can.

Conferencing is big business and companies like to hold them in prestigeous places. A new facility at OAFC would be considered to be prestigeous for local businesses and its got good motorway links.

In regards to whether we can rent out space, are your thought presumptions or do you have much knowledge in this area? I would expect SC to have done a bit of work and Ian Hill, who runs a large property firm in the area, will know about the local market and will have a lot of links to business.

No, I don't have any knowledge in the area - I'm just asking questions as it seems (to me) a bit of a grey area. The economy in general is on its arse at the moment and could take years to recover so I'm not sure we should be expecting this stand to generate huge amounts of income though the comments above are positive (regarding conferences, exams etc). We've got to be hoping that a new stand improves the match day experience and puts a few more bums on seats too surely?

Re the leg room, the worst I've EVER experienced was at Bramhall Lane last season - terrible, I had to sit sideways across two seats (not that I was sitting for most of the second half). If our new stand has poor leg room, it would put me off.

Edited by bossrocks