Dickov Manager Poll

161 members have voted

1. 1. Dickov In or Out simple as that?

• In
    • Out

Right i personally think enough is enough yes ok were only 3 games into the season BUT this is ultimately Dickov's squad Furman aside he has had a 3rd pre season (unheard of for 1st time managers) to work on things and bring in the players he feels will do a job.

Granted he performed minor miracles keeping us up on a shoestring budget and inheriting a piss poor squad from Dave Penney, but i have seen enough now to realise tactically is very naeive and doesnt seem to learn from his mistakes, vocally pitch side he seems to spend more time harrassing the 4th official and is very petulant at times.

His constant use of loanee's rather than using players he has SIGNED hasnt worked and wont continue to work, why spend all summer saying Dan Taylor was a very good signing for the club only to not play him.

To top it all the way he set us up to play yesterday was strange to say the least and was at times a 4-6-0 formation as Robbie Simpson isnt a an out an out forward who can hold the ball up, he needs to play off a target man or a forward with pace, also how Dickov hasnt come down on him for his attitude in all 3 games is beyond me, as a player who was an ankle snapper on the pitch it seems to me he is very subdued off it and rather than take infomation on he seems to rely on Paul Butler pitchside more than Gerry Taggart.

He says the right thinks to the media and portrays himself as someone who knows his onions but this isnt being translated on the pitch and hasnt for the last 6 months, as we traditionally finish seasons very poorly under him a bad start to the season could be the first nails in our coffin.

All in all i think its time for change as we have 2 games now where we will be strong underdogs and if we lose both we could already start to tail off in the bottom 4.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want him sacked im sick of changing managers every 2 minutes i want some stability thats said we were a beaten team before kick off yesterday 4-5-1 with no out and out forward and a week midfield, its plain to me that most of our youth players just arent good enough, most are too small and poor technically and stevenage were a poor side they worked hard but they didnt have much quality and yet we never really looked like having a go at them.

Its fairly obvious that if we dont get some wins on the board he will probably get the sack - as you point out we tend to fade away as the season drags on so we need points on the board now - but will it get worse and we end up with another Dave Penny??? Fingers crossed we get some wins soon and the pressure will ease

Edited by bluehobbit

Can anybody find results of similar poll during our dire run earlier in year/end of last season?

Seem to remember was overwhelmingly pro-PD.

I have a feeling this one will be much closer and thus happy clappers shouldn't just disregard as knee-jerk negativity as same people were measured enough to show restraint only a few months ago when looked like we were in freefall towards League 2.

I really like the guy and that is clouding my judgement.....I would give him until around Christmas time before the next transfer window to turn things around, however he could be gone before then if we are on the bottom in October!!

The one thing that really gets me annoyed is as you say is his constsnt berating of the fourth official........it is bloody well embarrasing and Corney should bring him to task about it. It's OK having drive and passion but let's have it directed at the players and not the officials.

Joe Royle sometimes used to sit in the mainstand in the first half and give instructions to his assistants in the dugout by phone. I think Dickov should try it as you get a much better view of the team shape and formations from up in the stand, however, I would certainly not like to be the guy sitting next to him!!!

If I was a betting man I would have him at very short odd's to be out of work before Christmas and if that happens Corney could very well follow him out of the club!!!

Can anybody find results of similar poll during our dire run earlier in year/end of last season?

Seem to remember was overwhelmingly pro-PD.

I have a feeling this one will be much closer and thus happy clappers shouldn't just disregard as knee-jerk negativity as same people were measured enough to show restraint only a few months ago when looked like we were in freefall towards League 2.

p8BHm.png

The full thread can be found here: http://bit.ly/PRWCCD

I think would been better to ask how long would you give him a chance to prove himself for

I really want him to do well I think the next 7 are the biggest he would have ever faced as a manager and after this we will know where we stand, he will undoubtable be trying to get people in this week, the season has 43 games left im a lot more positive this morning after sleeping on it than i was last night

The fans need to stick together no more bickering we are all unhappy but everyone needs to help one another as a team to pull ourselves out of this :censored: that we are in

turn up to games, sing lets help the players they seem to need it and then if they lose and we are in the same place in a months time consider his position

It's a tough one. On the one hand i want some stability at the club and i do want him to succeed, but on the other hand do you stick with someone who imo hasn't moved the club on any and who appears to struggle to motivate the team, whilst also showing tactical niavety ?

Do you stick with him just because we don't like change?...........i'm undecided.

The same question was being asked after Yeovil away last season and in honesty, I'd have lost no sleep if he'd been given the boot then. No excuses about budget, inheriting Penney's squad and him performing well.. Fact is, he's under performed for me. If it wasn't for us being half decent for half a season what feels like a lifetime ago he'd have been sacked. I can't remember a start to a season where we've been consistently piss poor for 3 games on the spin. Results aside, I can't take any positives which is the worry for me. At least people are now taking their tongues out of Dickov's arse and feel alright about asking questions that were taboo 12 months ago.

Talked a good game for too long now. The players he's signed are good on paper, his squad aren't performing for him. I've wanted it to work for Dickov because I can de the pluses of someone like him being in charge.

I would like Dickov to stay, personally. His tactical ineptness is clear for us all to see but I cling onto this thought:

Dickov is young and enthusiastic and is able to attract players of quality that you wouldn't expect would choose to come to Boundary Park. In my opinion, he brings in some good players and I have the idea, possibly naively, that the quality players (Simpson, Wes, Croft, M'Voto etc) will bail us out, a bit like Kuqi last season when we need them most.

As he matures as a manager, he will learn from seeing other teams come to Boundary Park and utilising players with less quality than our own to beat us or pick up points (like Walsall for instance). But when this does come, maybe even with the possibly of a little bit of direction from an assistant, he will have the all round managerial attributes to help the team progress. Some things you can't learn, like endearing a club to a player, and having the right personality but Dickov's flaws are things that he can pick up from others, tactics.

I would like to be able to say I'd still employ him regardless of the worst but there has to be a cut off point. Hopefully though, we can see some positives from him and these dismal first 3 games can put his head in gear to change the team and experiment. We have the players. We just need the nous.

I think would been better to ask how long would you give him a chance to prove himself for

I really want him to do well I think the next 7 are the biggest he would have ever faced as a manager and after this we will know where we stand, he will undoubtable be trying to get people in this week, the season has 43 games left im a lot more positive this morning after sleeping on it than i was last night

The fans need to stick together no more bickering we are all unhappy but everyone needs to help one another as a team to pull ourselves out of this :censored: that we are in

turn up to games, sing lets help the players they seem to need it and then if they lose and we are in the same place in a months time consider his position

'he will undoubtable be trying to get people in this week'

Will Corney trust him with more funds?

It would also be pointless trying to bring in a couple more youngsters it's experience we need, unless we can get Clarke and an old head into midfield I would stick with what we have and play our own kids!!

He's set himself 10 games and I reckon it's fair enough that he gets that. Massive improvements needed or time for a change in my opinion. The thing that I don't buy is the 'He's doing well with the resources available' argument. We've a paper thin squad, but barring one player, there's no injuries that stop him from picking a decent starting 11. I've got no doubt that we could've picked up more points from these games and starting to think that someone else could get more out the players We've got. All well and good selling himself and the club and attracting good league 1 footballers, means :censored: all if you get nothing out of them.

Hmmm haven't you just described anybody using the term you find so offensive as a cretin?

Yes that's the point I was trying to mak... ah nevermind :petesake:

And I don't find it particularly offensive, it's just a cop out for people who can't be arsed to actually make a constructive argument or comment.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

Keep him til around Christmas and have another look then, but, please Paul, set your team out to attack and tell your players to get forward at every opportunity.

Edited by Guest

Yes that's the point I was trying to mak... ah nevermind :petesake:

And I don't find it particularly offensive, it's just a cop out for people who can't be arsed to actually make a constructive argument or comment.

Ok mate you tell yourself that.

Thing is if you read my post I have been arsed to try and add some context to the topic.

I'm struggling to find any evidence from your good self in this regard?

Just for the record I like PD, want him to do well and have been happy to give him time in the hope he will learn from mistakes and eventually come good - in fact I would probably describe myself as a happy clapper.

However, I've seen all three performances this season and have unfortunately seen nothing to make me believe he can get the best out of what isn't really a bad set of players.

In for me. Pre-season shows that we are capable. Some silly mistakes have knocked confidence but this is unlikely to continue. I expect that we will see some more palyers come next Saturady but I guess that will depend on who goes out too. If Taylor and Smith are not the answer I think one or both might make way for someone like Clarke. Keep the faith, we are only a few points away from being OK and let's face it for us L1 is where we are likely to stay unless someone changes our financial position (more fans or new investment).

Definitely in! He's up against it with the playing budget available.

Pre-season we were playing some good football and the players have let him down over recent games. That said he's needs to rethink selection, formation and tactics as something isn't working at the moment. The team shouldn't be that dependent upon Weslowski and I think mentally the rest of the team feel that the team is at he moment. He needs to have a little faith in some of the younger players on the bench with Hughes,Winchester and Smith to change things around.

Above all the fans needs to give him time. We shouldn't be expecting a winning team every game with the players we have and it'll be a struggle. Even the likes of Mourinho would struggle here.

I'd even give Smith an extended run from the start each game because I still thinks there's a decent striker there.

The problem is that this level time is a luxury and the fans (and I'm assuming the owners) want results and to be mid-table at least early in the season. If that's the case then he can only gamble on his connections at City, Utd, Arsenal to bring some youngsters in up front, in defence and in the middle.

If only Corney could find the dosh to get Clarke in so we have someone immediately effective in front of goal.