No win at home yet is this acceptable?

So we haven't got a win at home against the teams in 2nd, 3rd, 9th (but on equal points as the team in 5th) and a team who gave everyone else a 3 game start; and then bought at least 3 very good players in. OK the teams we have played probably won't finish in those positions but Notts County and Stevenage will both be top 10 and 1 of them (Notts County) will probably make the play-offs.

Take Pompey and Coventry out of the equation (as they arent going to be top half this season) and we have played on last season's finishing place (and County have improved) the teams that finished 4th and 5th.

Poor teams or is that our fans are living in the past and forget the table from last season.

I thought there was a lot of positives to come out of tonight - Dickov's half time team talk for one!

Other than Croft, I don't think anyone played particularly badly.

Thought a draw was a fair result. Scunthorpe looked a decent team - better than Notts County.

Meh, so what if they missed a load of chances in the first-half. There's been lots of games where we miss loads of chances and ended up not winning, so it was nice to get the rub of the green for once.

I wouldn't get rid of Dickov on the back of the last couple of games. He's trying new things with new players, which shows that he's not happy with the way we've started. While the results haven't been great, I think we're heading in the right direction. If we had still had the squad we started the season with, I would probably be more concerned.

Give him another 5 games.

Edited by JoeP

I thought there was a lot of positives to come out of tonight - Dickov's half time team talk for one!

Other than Croft, I don't think anyone played particularly badly.

Thought a draw was a fair result. Scunthorpe looked a decent team - better than Notts County.

Meh, so what if they missed a load of chances in the first-half. There's been lots of games where we miss loads of chances and ended up not winning, so it was nice to get the rub of the green for once.

I wouldn't get rid of Dickov on the back of the last couple of games. He's trying new things with new players, which shows that he's not happy with the way we've started. While the results haven't been great, I think we're heading in the right direction. If we had still had the squad we started the season with, I would probably be more concerned.

Give him another 5 games.

This, this & this

...except give him more than 5 games

Spot on.

WHY cant we just play a full 90mins for once,ffs i cant remember the last time,its either :censored: the first half or wake up the second or want to play the first half and wank the second,when we pulled it back to 1-1 i said even dick turpin wore a mask,we should of been 4-0 5-0 down!!!!

Optimism is the name of the game but we have just drawn at home with a team below us. Both teams have added three players but undoubtedly the away team had the better chances. Both squads are getting used to each other. Latics were 2nd to the ball and not strong enough. The bright shoots are masking what would otherwise be a very poor team. The most obvious sign that something is wrong is the fact that Croft is still carrying a spare tyre - we sign and pay professional footballers who can't be bothered to keep themselves fit. Have you ever been allowed to go home half way through your working day because you don't have the energy to do any more? Pathetic!

Croft has created more from the right in a handful of games than Morais did in the first alf of last season.

While comments about his weight may be justified don't underestimate his contribution. He's one smart cookie with the ball at his feet and can see a pass others aren't capable of spotting.

Quality player.

If we repeat the second half performances of the last two games and deliver them for 90 minutes a game well be fine.

Lots of positives to balance out the justifiable concerns.

Taking Wes off didn't work though. Furman and Wes in the middle please.

When did we last perform for the full 90?!

Croft has created more from the right in a handful of games than Morais did in the first alf of last season.

While comments about his weight may be justified don't underestimate his contribution. He's one smart cookie with the ball at his feet and can see a pass others aren't capable of spotting.

Quality player.

One of the things that's improved in Dickov's tactics since the Stevenage game is that he's got Montano and the two full backs whipping early crosses in and it's created chances. Croft, on the other-hand, seems to insist on taking extra touches on the ball and missing the opportunity to just get the ball in the box.

I don't think his weight is too much of an issue - as you say he has the ability to pick a pass and he is a talented footballer even if he is carrying a bit of timber. However, as a winger, he should be getting more crosses in,in my opinion. Other than corners, the only cross I can think that he did last night was in the second half, when he was in behind the defence, but just crossed straight into their 'keepers hands.

Nothing seemed to go his way last night - once he's firing on all cylinders, he'll be invaluable to us, though.

One of the things that's improved in Dickov's tactics since the Stevenage game is that he's got Montano and the two full backs whipping early crosses in and it's created chances. Croft, on the other-hand, seems to insist on taking extra touches on the ball and missing the opportunity to just get the ball in the box.

I don't think his weight is too much of an issue - as you say he has the ability to pick a pass and he is a talented footballer even if he is carrying a bit of timber. However, as a winger, he should be getting more crosses in,in my opinion. Other than corners, the only cross I can think that he did last night was in the second half, when he was in behind the defence, but just crossed straight into their 'keepers hands.

Nothing seemed to go his way last night - once he's firing on all cylinders, he'll be invaluable to us, though.

Can think of one in the first half which was fired in early which was just a bit to high for Smith who ended up heading awkwardly over.

Quality player.

+1. Well said

Can think of one in the first half which was fired in early which was just a bit to high for Smith who ended up heading awkwardly over.

His days as a winger are numbered and we are gradually seeing a player who will eventually turn out to be a good creative midfielder, but not in this team where PD considers 2 holding midfielders essential, a tactic useful away from home, but at home it just hands the initiative to the opposition when we should be imposing ourselves on them (as happened to when Wesolowski was subbed for Baxter last night).

Edited by BP1960

When did I imply we did?

You didn't.

I was basically reflecting on the fact that I don't remember the last time we put in a 90 minute performance, particularly at BP, and on that basis I'm not sure I can see us doing it again.

We have showed that were are capable of playing good football under PD, but only sporadically at best, and most definitely not on a consistent basis for the full 90 minutes. I just don't see how that is going to change, though I will say I was encouraged by the changes PD made during the 2nd half last night.

Let's hope that's a sign of him finally beginning to learn from the mistakes he's been making for the last 2 years.