Terry

So a 31 year old who is going to be 32 before the year finishes and will be 33 before the next major international tournament retires? It is purely because the FA that rightly stripped him of the national captaincy twice IMHO and is starting a disciplinary procedure against him despite him having been cleared by the court of law?

Yeah right. It smacks of a spoilt, over-indulged, arrogant, c-word, throwing their penultimate toy out of the pram before its taken away from them. If I was manager of England he'd have been retired anyway because I don't think he is good enough. He certainly wouldn't have been good enough in June 2014.

I hope the FA bans him, IMHO it should do, and then in the statement about his suspension I hope it includes something about how if he hadn't have retired he would have been banned for the England game. Now because he has retired he has to serve an additional game suspended for Chelsea. That would serve him right the c-word.

He played very well at the Euros. It's cool to say John Terry is past it and is no great loss, but he will be missed. We all know he's going to be found guilty at the hearing, if he was then there'd be all sorts of fall-out as to whether he should be included in future squads...I don't see this as him throwing his toys out of his pram but merely falling on his sword.

Edited by jsslatic

If it was a matter of honour he'd never have gone to the Euros.

He probably thought he was going to be exonerated at trial, which he was. The decision of the FA to charge would suggest he'll be found guilty. I'm not suggesting we'll see a show trial, but the FA must be pretty confident of the result for him to have to go through this after being found not guilty at court, albeit given they require a lower standard of proof.

The bloke says he's innocent - why shouldn't he have been allowed to represent his country at a major finals again? I'd expect he's thinking it's not worth it now as, come Brazil, his understudies may well have surpassed him and it's no longer worth the aggro.

He played very well at the Euros. It's cool to say John Terry is past it and is no great loss, but he will be missed. We all know he's going to be found guilty at the hearing, if he was then there'd be all sorts of fall-out as to whether he should be included in future squads...I don't see this as him throwing his toys out of his pram but merely falling on his sword.

Did he though, a lot of his last ditch tackles and goal-line clearances stemmed from his own mistakes. We have a lot of very good centre-halfs in this country. Loosing one that is only going to get worse because he threw his toys out of his pram is not that important and he won't be missed.

I agree. I argued with so many people pre-Euros that he would be a key player if we were going to do anything. Yes, he's a complete knob but that doesn't mean it's necessary to convince ourselves he's crap; he's not.

He probably thought he was going to be exonerated at trial, which he was. The decision of the FA to charge would suggest he'll be found guilty. I'm not suggesting we'll see a show trial, but the FA must be pretty confident of the result for him to have to go through this after being found not guilty at court, albeit given they require a lower standard of proof.

The bloke says he's innocent - why shouldn't he have been allowed to represent his country at a major finals again? I'd expect he's thinking it's not worth it now as, come Brazil, his understudies may well have surpassed him and it's no longer worth the aggro.

The FA charge is not the same as the one faced in court at which Terry admitted using the words but not the intent. In the eyes of the FA and a zero racism policy, Terry has already committed the crime.

As for his ability......he's big and daft and perfect against another big and daft forward. But against pace and skill.......crap.

But, by the same ideal - (Anton) Ferdinand must be charged as well, as Terry's claim is that he was just repeating the words back to him*. I also wonder whether in this zero tolerance stance, whether Rio applauding the 'choc ice' comment should be resulting in a similar charge. Ban them all I say, as they aren't on my fantasy side.

*I'd have still claimed I was calling Ashley Cole it and got off under extenuating circumstances (Ashley Cole being there).

But, by the same ideal - (Anton) Ferdinand must be charged as well, as Terry's claim is that he was just repeating the words back to him*. I also wonder whether in this zero tolerance stance, whether Rio applauding the 'choc ice' comment should be resulting in a similar charge. Ban them all I say, as they aren't on my fantasy side.

*I'd have still claimed I was calling Ashley Cole it and got off under extenuating circumstances (Ashley Cole being there).

Didn't Rio get fined shortly after the court case for his 'choc-ice' tweet?

I agree he's been a really good player for us - proper quality. My problem has always been his disruptive presence in the squad. What tipped the balance? I think it was when he complained of boredom at the World Cup in South Africa. It wasn't his fault we got absolutely crapped on by the Germans, but as a leader, if not the fishul captain, the boredom remark was beyond the pale.

He'll be missed on the field, but I reckon the sooner we get rid of the "senior players" who have failed so wilfully time and again the better. I don't really care how it comes about. Gerrard out. Lampard out. Barry out. Big question mark over Rooney even. Cashley can stay. The current squad might struggle, but apart from the defence they're super young and have all their failure ahead of them.

• 7 months later...

Why wouldn't he?

Demba Ba was and he only played one game in the competition. For Newcastle.

I was under the impression that you had to make an appearance or at the very least be in the squad for the final to be eligible for a medal.

...but obviously not!

Edited by RoytonLatics

I cannot believe he did the old kit on / collect a trophy thing again, when not in the match day squad.What a cock!
Wayne Rooney did the same last Sunday for Utd - no one seems to mention this though.By the way they are both cocks! Edited by Hornbloweroafc