**GOAL SCORING BONUS**

GOAL SCORING BONUS  

28 members have voted

1. 1. ££££ GOAL SCORING BONUS ££££

• Yes - Money talks....Show me the money
    • No - Show me a ball.... I'll show you a goal

This would be something written into their contract, I'm sure some players already have this.

I know the club wanted to change the way they pay players operating more on a 'play better, earn more' policy. Although it would be much hard to entice players to join a club that only plays you if you perform well compared to just getting paid the same wage every week even if you play :censored:.

A goal bonus is not the best idea, but paying players if they perform better is. However, realistically it would take the whole football league to make this happen and not just one team.

I've never liked the idea, is the centre forward not going to try his hardest to score a goal if there isn't a cash prize at the end of it? And if they are so greedy that it would make a difference to how they play then it will also occur to them not to pass to a player in a better position. Same with clean sheet bonuses really, the GK might not have had a touch all day because the forwards have trodden on the fullbacks toes all game and denied them any outlets, or the midfield closed them out. Team performance and results is all that they should go off.

I do think there's something to be said for a model which pays a lower basic wage but with more rewarding performance-related bonuses (for goals, clean sheets, wins or even points gained).

I think Corney himself has said in the past he'd like to do something like this but its not possible unless other clubs adopt similar models.

The way I could see this working:

1. Establish your annual wage budget

2. Establish your minimum acceptable finishing position in the league

3. Set players wages within the established budget, taking account of estimated bonuses based on achieving the target league position.

If the club exceeds the target (finishing higher) then the players earn more in bonuses but this additional cost is hopefully offset by additional gate money, prize money, playoff money etc. If the club falls short of the target (finishing lower), the players earn less and the resulting saving hopefully compensates for reduced gate money.

The other problem is that it may make it harder to bring in quality players. Let's say you're a struggling side, and want to bring in a goalscorer. If he takes one look at your record and thinks the side isn't going to create chances for him to put away, he'll not see that goal bonus as worth very much.

Players should be paid the rate for the job, strikers should score and defenders defend. The only bonus I would like to see is one for getting promoted. Targets in any line of work always distort performance and hinder teamwork. I want the members of the team I support to play for the shirt. Simply that!

Players should be paid the rate for the job, strikers should score and defenders defend. The only bonus I would like to see is one for getting promoted. Targets in any line of work always distort performance and hinder teamwork. I want the members of the team I support to play for the shirt. Simply that!

I don't think José María Olazábal would fancy the Latics managers job. :mmm:

put simply the club should offer bonus' like the real world. give a basic bonus for every member of the squad once the team has earned a basic number of points (say 50) and for each subsequent point another cash bonus is awarded. however this bonus should only be awarded once each player has played enough games.

i dont claim to know realistic figgures for wages and bonus's so take these with a pinch of salt, its the principle i intend to demonstrate.

players basic wage £1000

basic bonus £1000

subsequent bonus for each point gained over 50 points £100

so for finishing on 80 points, or in an around 6th spot a player would earn a bonus of around £4000. its quite easy to manipulate if these figures are unrealistic, just alter the £100 in the model.

if 22 players were to reach the minimum target of games, it would cost the club £88,000,

i would be interested to find out what the club is currently spending on bonus's.

this model could also be altered by just using half the bonus budget this way. the other half could be awarded by a panel manually giving bonus's at the end of the year. ie, dickov, taggert, corney etc get together and say player x has contributed significantly more than player y, we will give him more.