Celebrity Sweepstake

Matt

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is against the law to make false allegations of a crime. However, just because the actor was found innocent doesn't mean that the allegations were false, it means that there was not enough evidence to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Cases don't get to court if there is not enough evidence for it to do so; which implies that there was some substance in the allegations. As far as I'm concerned to now punish the actor's accuser(s) would be completely the wrong thing to do as it could easily stop a "guilty" rapist being convicted because the victim is frightened of the consequences if there is a verdict of not guilty and therefore doesn't report the crime.

Guest Scratch2000uk

When i did jury service a couple of years ago, reasonable doubt wasn't acceptable, the judge ordered that we had to be completely sure, and have no doubts whatsoever.

As for prosecuting the accusers, unless it's proven to be malicious, would be complete and utter bollocks.

It is against the law to make false allegations of a crime. However, just because the actor was found innocent doesn't mean that the allegations were false, it means that there was not enough evidence to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Cases don't get to court if there is not enough evidence for it to do so; which implies that there was some substance in the allegations. As far as I'm concerned to now punish the actor's accuser(s) would be completely the wrong thing to do as it could easily stop a "guilty" rapist being convicted because the victim is frightened of the consequences if there is a verdict of not guilty and therefore doesn't report the crime.

...sort of does mean that the allegations were false. And plenty of cases go to court when there isn't enough evidence. The allegation is that the CPS, taking a highly questionable lead from the accuser, somewhat jumped on the Savile bandwagon rather than relied solely on the merits of the case.

Fair enough it gets tried in court. But in the circumstances of the allegation and the high probability that it was vexatious, they should both have been anonymous.

...sort of does mean that the allegations were false. And plenty of cases go to court when there isn't enough evidence. The allegation is that the CPS, taking a highly questionable lead from the accuser, somewhat jumped on the Savile bandwagon rather than relied solely on the merits of the case.

Fair enough it gets tried in court. But in the circumstances of the allegation and the high probability that it was vexatious, they should both have been anonymous.

I quite agree about the anonymous bit, just it's a bit harder to do when one is seen on telly regularly.

As an aside what's the grammar rule for starting a sentence with and?

I quite agree about the anonymous bit, just it's a bit harder to do when one is seen on telly regularly.

As an aside what's the grammar rule for starting a sentence with and?

Not difficult at all. And there are no rules - only conventions. Hansard generally will not include sentences beginning with "and", "but" or "so", but there are always exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a dreadful organization which i don't want to pay for, but i am made to. People are at liberty to boycott News International over hacking or Hillsborough but we are forced to support this nonces' den with it's :censored: output and it's 1970s editorial stance, and it's huge bureaucracy that wouldn't know a TV program if it kicked them up the arse. Does that cover it?

It's a dreadful organization which i don't want to pay for, but i am made to. People are at liberty to boycott News International over hacking or Hillsborough but we are forced to support this nonces' den with it's :censored: output and it's 1970s editorial stance, and it's huge bureaucracy that wouldn't know a TV program if it kicked them up the arse. Does that cover it?

Ah. I see. You're just crying about something you don't like and can't change, like the weather.

Spelling hasn't got any better. I recommend watching some the BBC's excellent educational output.

Ah. I see. You're just crying about something you don't like and can't change, like the weather.

Spelling hasn't got any better. I recommend watching some the BBC's excellent educational output.

I don't have to pay for the weather (except via the huge energy price increases your man Ed bequeathed to us). We can't abolish weather. The BBC is not like the weather. Go and work on your similes.

Dave Lee Travis, aka ‘The Hairy Monster’ (later changed to ‘The Hairy Cornflake’) has been charged with 14 counts of indecent assault and one of sexual assault between 1976 and 2007, relating to 11 female complainants, aged between 15 and 29 at the time. He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.