Comment on the band

Well we all like our music don't we?

So, type in the name of a band and let us see what other people think of them.

Don't go mad on this otherwise we will have a list pages and pages long without any structured analysis, put a comment on about a previous band before nominating one. If you don't know anything about their work, then don't comment, it is an idea to let people get a semi-appreciation of the type of music others like and maybe an insight into something that perhaps they will enjoy.

I bet there are a few on here who have tried to second guess me on the first nomination. Alas no, ladies and gents, I nominate Massive Attack. Say your words.

KtF,

Derek.

Quality music. Did you know that they weren't allowed to be called Massive Attack, in America when they released Unfinished Sympathy in the early nineties?

The reason was it sounded too aggressive around the time of the first Gulf war.

I think Blue Lines is a cracking album, but 'er indoors thinks the Collected album is better.

If this thread is going to work, disagree with people, but don't slate them for their choice of Artist........on that point Heaven 17.

I like the odd Heaven 17 track but not my thang. I guess I only know the chart stuff so can't really judge.

Massive attack on the other hand - quality as has been said. For me the protection album is probably their best and whilst there are some good bits on the 100th Window album it suffers by only one of the original members being left.

U2 - Discuss.

My view - started off with good intentions and did some ok stuff, these days they are a parody of themselves, haven't do a worthwhile tune for years and are now just churning out music for people who don't really like music.

the first band i saw live was the maiden in 86 and the "live after death" LP release in 85 probably changed my life. they must be getting on a bit now and they are still producing stuff after 27 years. heard a new song the other day on kerrang tv and you tell it's steve harris on bass straight away. probably time to call it a day!

green day..............

I'm liking Green Day,saw them at the MEN on the American Idiot tour excellent gig.

Some people reckon they have sold out by becoming mainstream but if it's good it's good as far as i'm concerned and if they pay you :censored:loads of money for doing it then Fliping fair play.

Artistic integrity my arse.

Oooh my choice.

Supergrass.

The Mighty Grass made their best stuff after they fell into obscurity,superb gig at the Ritz christmas before last,just cos they ain't in the charts don't mean they ain't producing class stuff.We just keep it too ourselves :lol:

Oh and my mate played drums for The High after he'd decided he couldn't be arsed with the Roses seat when they were still looking for a drummer before Reni.

The choices we make eh!

Supergrass are constantly on my ipod, as they realeased (That bloody single that the name escapes me, is it Allright?) The Boo Radleys released "Wake up boo" which at the time was quality.

anyhow, my choice of musical sex is Depeche Mode.

"alright" - great tune from supergrass - saw them play in a tent at T in the park - the place went mental.

i have to agree with the U2 "music for people who don't really like music" and put them in the same bracket as robbie williams and kylie!

got some tickets for the fratellis in manchester next month. good debut lp but will the 2nd be any good?

The View

:?:

This years next big thing. Their debut album will be everywhere, they will spend the year on the road, try to "crack america" be rushed into making their second album and churn out a sub-standard copy of their debut.

Meanwhile the music press and internet sites will have turned their attention to some other bunch of young exciting pretenders and will snub The View resulting in poor sales for the 2nd album and getting dropped by their label and the bassist leaving.

On a related note - T'Arctic Monkeys.

I like Arctic Monkeys.

Titch blagged us some tickets to see them at Cavern club ages ago. Very good and the album was better than some stuff put out by others last year. Witty lyrics and all that.

The second album will get a caning because they are apparently bringing in people like Dizzee Rascal (that how you spell it?) to work on some tracks and a few others. They'll get panned and then just be another band the press hyped up and chucked away.

The View are definitely this years Arctic Monkeys on a smaller scale.

Artic Monkeys are ok but not as special as people would have them be.

U2 have found a formula and are now doing gash albums by it. Start with a big 'rock' song (elvavation etc) and then a couple of ballardly types. Pity as they used to be good.

My choice, a band I adore, The Arcade Fire.

I liked their singles, especially Powerout. Good video too...

But they are a bit "overwhelming" - their live sets look like they've got too many hangers-on.

At the moment I'm liking The Gossip, and The Long Blondes...

Massive Attack - fine and dandy, Blues Lines in particular.

U2 am liking early albums, can't comment on later stuff as haven't been aris'd

Supergrass have done some great tunes, Pumping On Your Stereo a particular favourite same with Green Day, Basket Case and Minority are splendid.

Iron Maiden, no, just no.

Can't really comment on others, not heard enough of any of 'em.

Am currently enjoying Midlake.

As a choice of discusion Badly Drawn Boy, some fantic tunes on every album thus far imo like, the single Born In The UK has fantastic lyrics, but possibly for those of a certain age. Oh I'll do 2, The Magic Numbers.

Badly Drawn Boy - great first album, decent soundtrack for About a Boy then steeply downhill after that.

Magic Numbers - one or two decent poppy tunes but a lot of poor ones too.

Love Supergrass and liking the sound of The Long Blondes, what I've heard from them.

Josh Rouse?

I saw the gossip on Jonathan Ross and thought whaddafuk!?!?! Now she is everywhere, well, not too hard for her as she makes Michelle McMassive look like she is a size 0.

I think I have got old and I don't mind one bit. In the Observer Music Monthly they had their ones to watch this year, I just looked at the pictures and thought "They say nothing to me about my life" and said to the missus that I have absolutely no interest in these bunch of muppets. I saw that one of them, Mika had gone to Number one with his debut single/download.

The last piece of music I heard that got me excited is Issac Hayes version of Walk On By, one of my favourite songs anyway but this version is up there with Dionne Warwicks. I came across it on this:

Which is the best thing on youtube, needs sound and it is nearly 10 mins long but well worth it.

Jimi - Arcade Fire are quality.

Next band - Muse. I like that one that starts off quiet, then has a loud bit, then a quiet bit before having a really loud bit and occasionally ending with another quiet bit. I love non-formulaic music me!