Safe standing campaign

The Football Supporters Federation is supporting an Early Day Motion from an MP in respect of introducing safe standing at English football grounds, using a sytem that is widely used in German grounds.

I would urge all those who think that the reintroduction of safe terracing is a good idea to visit the fsf website - www.fsf.org.uk and read up the information, then send a letter to your MP. The campaign is gathering momentum, and the more people who write, the more chance there is of this being given a chance.

Of course it should be brought back and I wholeheartedly support it. The main obstacle, which has been flagged up since the recent Hillsborough revelations, is that it simply won't happen because if, heaven forbid, there were another disaster then nobody wants to be the politician remembered for re-legalising it all.

The Football Supporters Federation is supporting an Early Day Motion from an MP in respect of introducing safe standing at English football grounds, using a sytem that is widely used in German grounds.

I would urge all those who think that the reintroduction of safe terracing is a good idea to visit the fsf website - www.fsf.org.uk and read up the information, then send a letter to your MP. The campaign is gathering momentum, and the more people who write, the more chance there is of this being given a chance.

I remeber writing to my local MP last time something like this came up and got :censored:ed off with a non-sensical answer off him as to why he is opposed to standing and why it isn't allowed plus he ignored all the valid points i put forward to him as to why it should be brought back. Doubt i'll get a different answer off of the self serving prick.

All seater was the sledge hammer to crack the nut anyway.

It wasn't standing and the crowd that caused the deaths at Hillsborough it was the barbaric fencing that fans had to endure at that time.Had the fencing not been there the fans would have just spilt onto the pitch.

I refused to go to away matches during that period because being caged in was always going to lead to some form of accident.

Never thought that it would be anything like what happened though.

Standing is an integral part of football matches and this all seater sh*te law should dropped to allow clubs to introduce it if they want.

Edited by losesome

The ridiculous thing about this is that standing DOES exist! I'm pretty sure I was standing at Crawley yesterday! Was my life therefore in immediate danger?......thought not!

How can standing be safe at grounds that have it but not safe to be re-introduced to grounds that have gone all seater due to their league position post Hillsborough?

And, frankly, I would trust the Germans a damn sight more than our pathetic FA and various Governments to organise just about anything!!

It could be said that there is extra danger from standing in a seating area rather than standing in regulated standing zones where attendances have been controlled.

When a goal is scored and everybody is celebrating its not unusual to see fans fall over the row below them, which of course is dangerous not only to the fan that falls, but the fan that is directly in in front of the fan that falls. Standing in standing areas not only creates a better atmosphere, which a lot of grounds could benefit from, a better atmosphere subsequently attracts more fans as its a more enjoyable experience.

The disasters of previous years has haunted the whole seating-standing argument, there was so much to be learnt from the tragic events at Hillsborough and I'm certain that with regulations, organisation and co-operation increased, casualties will be avoided and a safe environment where we can all enjoy watching football will be produced.

I really hope that the safe standing act can be pushed through and 1 MP will be courageous enough to allow it. If League clubs can get standing and the Premier League still has seating then it might bring fans back from the top flight too.

I saw there was something in Scotland, further developed than England, being pushed by fans with the same objective of bringing back safe standing. Does anybody know how that is progressing?

I'm still confused by this though.....there IS standing at numerous grounds across the UK therefore it cannot be said that it is dangerous otherwise they would have been closed?!

Standing is either dangerous or not, it cannot be dangerous at one ground and safe at another which is what the rule currently implies

Edited by Ritchierich

What a poor term "safe standing" is, implying that other forms of standing are dangerous.

Perhaps we should also say "castrated prole seating", as this was, effectively, the reason it was introduced (at a time when serious public disorder and rebellion were perceived as a real threat to government. Now there's a quaint notion!).

So if a team gets promoted to the Championship and stays there for 3 seasons it must be all seated but if it stays up for 2 then gets relegated but bounces straight back up they get another 3 years grace.....okayy...quite coincidental if you ask me that the government are blocking it because of Hillsborough, or ironic

The Hillsborough families are still against standing and that's good enough for me. Loved standing at Crawley on Saturday, but I wouldn't have fancied it with another 200 - 300 in that space.

Premier league will never, ever have it. Why? Safety? No. Money? Yes. Seats bump up prices.

As much as I have every sympathy with the Hillsborough families and respect for their cause in obtaining justice for the tragedy, their opinions are highly emotive and probably the least detached of anybody's. The decision as to whether standing should be allowed again is one that should be taken on the grounds of safety and not upset about a previous tragedy that, whilst facilitated by the presence of standing, was caused by something else entirely.

Everybody quotes Hillsborough and I completely understand why, but seating areas have as much inherent danger, much slower to evacuate for instance. Would 50 odd have died at Bradford if that stand would have been standing?

Depends how much wood was involved in the making of the stand- some of the metal fixtures were very badly burned anyway.

One of the biggest contributors to the deaths at Valley Parade was the fact the usual exits were locked to prevent people sneaking in.

Who's to say that people wouldn't have been crushed to death in the panic if it had been standing. That sort of thing caused plenty of deaths aside from Hillsborough. Furthermore standing would have meant more people needing to be evacuated. It took only 10 minutes for the stand to go up into a raging inferno, from which no-one would have survived.

What I dont understand, Any team takes a sizeable away following , the back 4 or 5 rows at least are all stood for the duration of the match. Look at the likes of man.u/leeds/liverpool where the full stand is on its feet. Ok maybe a small handfull of clubs enforce seating more strictly, but its always there. Surely standing in designated seating area is more dangerous than standing in a terrace/rail seat layout.

The Hillsborough families are still against standing and that's good enough for me. Loved standing at Crawley on Saturday, but I wouldn't have fancied it with another 200 - 300 in that space.

Premier league will never, ever have it. Why? Safety? No. Money? Yes. Seats bump up prices.

You would expect that Liverpool fans would therefore respect the all seating ruling, but guess what, the Kop stands

up all match every match.

Such is the emphasis on health and safety in this country now (and rightly so) it is pretty much improbable that a Hillsborough type disaster would ever occur again. Indeed, the lessons learnt from that disaster would ensure nothing like that happens again.

I'd love it to return. The atmosphere's at football matches in this country are quite frankly depressing, and it simply isn't that enjoyable an experience anymore for the amount of money we're being extorted for. I actually feel jealous watching the Bundesliga and seeing the experience the fans get (at a lower price than League One fans are paying in many cases). Compared to sitting on my arse in an atmosphere akin to that of a graveyard...