If the First World War never happened.....

ive had this debate before. would we have gone on to be one of the big teams etc. would we be in the position we are now? my answer is yes we would have probably gone on to win the league at some point, being one of the best teams in the country at the time, but i dont think our current position would be much different. bury/blackpool/preston/burnley were all major players at some point but all good things come to an end

Its the Great War.

Was only called world war one from 1939 onwards for obvious reasons.

Technically if we are pretending it didnt happen and throwing ourselves back in time should the post read if the great war hadnt happened...........or are we refering to ww2 as ww1 and where does mark hughes and his volley stand in all this? lol.

Its the Great War.

Was only called world war one from 1939 onwards for obvious reasons.

Technically if we are pretending it didnt happen and throwing ourselves back in time should the post read if the great war hadnt happened...........or are we refering to ww2 as ww1 and where does mark hughes and his volley stand in all this? lol.

(Puts Pedantic hat on)

It was still the Great War in 1939, it was still some time later that the Great War became WW1.

QI did a bit about it

(Takes pedantic hat off)

As they also called the Great War, "The war to end all wars," it would have been seen as a waste of digits to number it. I've always felt that WW2 should be dated to some point in th e1930s when China and Japan gradually started getting it on, with every other power having fingers in the pie somewhere or other.