Why've We Gone All Princess Di On Dickov?

Thoroughly nice hard working chap or not he had just over 2 1/2 seasons in the job his win percentage was under 28% overall in the league and had been walking a tight rope for months. Good luck Paul but today is a new day so lets all man the :censored: up and move on, last time I was aware we supported Oldham athletic not Paul Dickov fc - PD is history let's look forward to meeting the new man that will rectify the situation we have found ourselves in under PD's tutelage

No room for sentiment in football staying in this league is everything

-

I think some people are struggling to cope with the notion of not hating a departing manager and don't quite know how to conduct themselves. Ultimately, he was :censored: at his job. I'm not sure the timing was absolutely right (he really should have gone earlier) but he had to go.

Totally agree. Nobody can every doubt PD's hard work at the club, and likewise his passion and drive to succeed at the job. Fact of the matter is he just wasnt able to cut it here and like you say his win percentage was appalling.

I do genuinely feel a bit sorry for the guy as I think he really believed that the Liverpool game was going to be a turning point for him, you could see it on his face - His Fergie moment if you like. He has been badly let down by the players but ultimately he needs to shoulder a large proportion of the blame with his tactical shortcomings. It is his team with his players so its his responsibility to get them playing how he wants them too. He's had a good crack at it and SC has backed him all the way in my opinion. Half the managers in this league would love to have the likes on Montano, Croft, Baxter, Barnard etc in their squad.

Sad it didnt work out for him but for the sake of our club he had to go and life will as ever move on. There is a far more important battle to be won now, so lets hope these players who didnt perform for whatever reason for PD can grow a pair and get us out of this mess that they have jointly helped cause! 16 more Liverpool's please boys!

Point is that PD is a departing manager who the majority liked and wanted to succeed. Same with Shez.

Compare with when Penney or Moore left...

That said, PD's now history and the page has turned. Only was is up baby

This is correct.

It is possible to treat an out-going manager - indeed one who failed to progress the club - with respect and appreciation because of his infectious enthusiasm and likeable personality.

I didnt support Dickov for a long time - certainly longer than this potentially disastrous run of poor results - but, like Sheridan, whose 3rd season was a complete cock-up, I will always react positively should we meet a club he manages.

Completely right for a change, I'm sure the majority agree, but our supporters are also being respectful, and rightly so.

The victory over Liverpool, the media 'love-in' and the new-blood in the squad, led the fans to believe that a point had been reached where the team could go out, win matches and reach the safety level needed to stay in League One.

That enthusiasm was tempered with the uncertainty displayed by Corney on national TV, the loss of Simpson, Mchangama and Smith to injury, Wabara leaving and then the news of Croft's contract being terminated (although we kind of guessed that he would stay on). The bubble was well and truly deflated by the gutless, yet somehow predictable, display at Walsall...despite the new strikers and the great start.

As the proverbial goes...it's over, turn the page but do not close the book, just move on to a new chapter.

Where's there any inclination of me not showing respect to him? Yes I've wanted him out for months, but I never once shouted for him to go at games until Notts County and Saturday, as the performances had dropped below a certain level of what I deem to be acceptable. I thanked him for his efforts yesterday, nice guy I wanted so much to succeed yet as his record shows his ability as a coach and tactician is limited. Sadly being media savvy and getting down with the fans does not win football matches. It's time to move on and quickly, i'm sure he'll get another job but unlike others I don't think he'll succeed as he simply doesn't have it imho.

Edited by oafcprozac

I always remember a Stockport County mate of mine going to a fans forum when Carlton Palmer was incharge. He walked in the rooms to a full room chanting 'We want Palmer out'. 2 hours later he left to 'There's only one Carlton Palmer'. Now this guy couldn't half talk a decent game but was the worst manager most County fans can remember.

For the record I don't think Palmer has been anywhere near Edgeley Park since he left in 2003.

Be interesting to see how much we see of Dickov in a none media paid for capacity.........

PD's departure is sad but was inevitable. Corney's method of despatch was poor, the theatre of the absurd; Dickov should have been sacked with the rest of his team He had absolutely no skills as a manager except in self-promotion, and the stream of excuses was an embarassment. He had no philosophy of football, tactical understanding or any ability to develop players, whether experienced or green, individually or collectively. The only thing that stood out during his reign were the dirty tactics, gamesmanship and overall drabness. He couldn't handle the senior players except as a dressing room chum and brought in a croney to assist him and not the experienced coach we needed (at least it wasn't Robbie Savage!).

His tenure for me was best described, perhaps unintentionally, by Karl Millar following his month's loan with a fellow youngster to Chorley in the late autumn. According to the Chron., Millar was overwhelmed by his short time there. He enthused how Gary Flitcroft and his assistants had improved his technique, footballing awareness and confidence. He returned, from a team many leagues below us, and promptly fell back into his trough of despond, our coaches either ignoring him or knocking what Karl had learned out of him.

The senior players in our squad may lament losing their pal but if they have anything about them, as professional footballers, then they will soon forget him and relish playing fo a real coach with intellct, experience and gravitas. Let's hope Corney will get it right - at least it's his decision alone this time. This squad should soon advance, with just a bit of luck and a real determination to pay for a competent manager. And let's hope we can keep Philliskirk, the one shining star in 20 years of coaching dross.

What was quite annoying Saturday is the amount of 'Everton will be laughing at us chants'

Do you seriously think if we dicked Walsall 5-0 they would be worried then?

Sod Everton the league is our bread and butter and priorty is staying in it.

Yes the financial gain of the cup has been fantastic but it will mean nothing if we go down at the end of the day

If people think it was a big decision for Corney to decide wether or not to axe PD (which in the end he offically didnt do) then it is twice as important that he now makes the correct decision in new manager or we are back to square one all over again

Thoroughly nice hard working chap or not he had just over 2 1/2 seasons in the job his win percentage was under 28% overall in the league and had been walking a tight rope for months. Good luck Paul but today is a new day so lets all man the :censored: up and move on, last time I was aware we supported Oldham athletic not Paul Dickov fc - PD is history let's look forward to meeting the new man that will rectify the situation we have found ourselves in under PD's tutelage

-

If football isn't about sentiment, what is it about?

I feel a Camus-style philosophy thread coming on.

I've been a massive critic of his, shouted for him to resign or be axed for a long time, confronted him at a game and posted a whole load of abuse on here about him for the best part of 18 months. Yet nothing can take away the fact he provided me with the greatest day of my life last week.

Why was beating Liverpool so much better than City & Everton?

Other than that that side was better than the sides City and Everton put out, it wasn't a smash and grab like the others but we got three goals and created other opportunities. We were excellent in all aspects of the game not just at putting eleven men behind the ball for the second half!

Edit: not to do any disservice to City and Everton which were incredible in their own rights too.

Edited by jsslatic

-

Well said!

All I've heard is how nice Dickov is, I couldn't care less! It's all about winning football matches!

No room for sentiment in football