Philliskirk on Players and His Position

"I think dropping into the bottom four this week had a big psychological impact on the players and you could see their desire to win the game. Nobody wants a relegation on their CV and the senior players in particular came to the fore. They know it's vital that we stay up and they gave an excellent performance."

"If I was asked to continue working with the first team, obviously I would have to sit down and think about that. But if a new manager walks in next week, I'll shake his hand and tell him he's inheriting a very good group of players who are better than their league position suggests."

http://www.sportingl...proud-of-latics

I had a tear in my eye listening to his interview on the official site, true club man, and his love and affection for Oldham Athletic shone like a beacon.Well done Tony, Paul Gerrard and all the players. Today was a classic example of after months of disappointment and frustration, just one result, one performance, just makes me proud to be a Latics fan.

Edited by 100milesaway

A against Huddersfield before Ronnie took over.

Very impressed with Philliskirk & Gerrard today & the togetherness of the players & coaching staff, if Dowie turns us down would give them the job til the end of the season.

Edited by oafcforever

Thats exactly what i would have expected from TP. Measured and articulate, also spoken with realism. Perhaps a couple of weeks before we name a new manager wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Yeah it was a very impressive interview. He clearly knows what he's doing. Couldn't help thinking he looked knackered though, doing 2 full-time jobs simultaneously can't be doing him good. Ideally I'd like him to get the job long-term but it doesn't sound like he wants to give up the youth team job.

Wow!!!... 1 win and Philliskirk is the new messiah???? Get a grip ffs

Who has said he's the new messiah? From what I've read it's just appreciation for someone who works very hard for the club, going above and beyond what is expected of him and has done for many years. The bloke illustrates by words and actions that he's got the club's best interests at heart and many (certainly including Corney) feel lucky that we have someone like that working there. What's the problem with that? Why do people need to get a grip?

Did anyone else notice he concentrated on the game rather than constantly arguing with the 4th official ?

I think the difference was, as he said pre-match, was let them worry about what we can do rather than us adapting our game to nulify their strengths. He was spot on with his approach!

Edited by Killens_physio

I think the difference was, as he said pre-match, was let them worry about what we can do rather than us adapting our game to nulify their strengths. He was spot on with his approach!

The same approach he took when working with Dowie.

“When I worked back with Iain we were never overly concerned with the opposition. We will do our background work, but the emphasis is on what we can bring to the table.”

When asked about working with Dowie again, he said:

“I’ve heard Iain Dowie’s name bandied about and I would have to speak to the chairman about that. You never say never."

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest Scratch2000uk

I am sure he does a great job, but some are suggesting he gets the managers job, even though he does not want it if you are one of them, you need to get a grip.

Philliskirk came across very well in the interview and obviously got things right yesterday. He seems to want the youth team job more than the 1st team job, but while we are winning games with him in charge it would be foolish to replace him. If we beat Stevenage a week on Tuesday then the following 2 games would start to look very winnable, so what would be the point of unsettling things by bringing someone else in?

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

TP seems to be one of the only constants at Latics, a guy with the club at heart. Nothing but respect for the bloke, and in my opinion one of the major assets that we have.

Not sure about him as manager though, purely because if it goes wrong then he would be dismissed, which would cost us elsewhere.

TP seems to be one of the only constants at Latics, a guy with the club at heart. Nothing but respect for the bloke, and in my opinion one of the major assets that we have.

Not sure about him as manager though, purely because if it goes wrong then he would be dismissed, which would cost us elsewhere.

I think Philiskirk would do well as manager and have suggested I'd like him to get the job during the process of appointing every manager since Talbot. However, like you say, he's one of the few constants and if he got the manager's job he'd either perform well and leave for a better job or get sacked after a few years and leave the club.

Alex Ferguson said yesterday that the biggest strength Man United have is the consistency of staff right through the club. That got me thinking that perhaps it's best TP remains head of the youth set up, making it more likely he'll be at BP in the long-term. That seems to be his preferred role anyhow.

Did anyone else notice he concentrated on the game rather than constantly arguing with the 4th official ?

Yes, and the one time he got worked up was shouting at the players to "get on with it" following an (admittedly poor) decision against us by the linesman.

If he was offered the job permanently, I'd be pleased. But I'd rather have him associated with the club for as long as possible. The manager's position is a poisoned chalice compared to the relatively risk-free youth team job. I'd hate for him to take the job and then get sacked/walk out because it didn't work out.