Philliskirk on Players and His Position

The same approach he took when working with Dowie.

“When I worked back with Iain we were never overly concerned with the opposition. We will do our background work, but the emphasis is on what we can bring to the table.”

When asked about working with Dowie again, he said:

“I’ve heard Iain Dowie’s name bandied about and I would have to speak to the chairman about that. You never say never."

It's obvious though the the background work had been done on MK Dons judging from the constant pressing of their dawdling defenders.

Edited by BP1960

The time for TP to get the job imho, was after Talbot went. Even though we lost that day at the Gay Farm in late February 2005, we battered them and but for a bent linesman that is no longer a professional official (I wonder why?), we would have won at a canter.

You could see the difference though yesterday, no slow start we went at it from the off and pressing them high up the pitch forced mistakes. Two of our goals came from not giving the ball up. He changed it when needed and although it wasn't as petty when Deano came on it was necessary to see out the game. If he got the job I wouldn't have a problem, but his job is the kids and i'd like to see him go back to doing what he enjoys and does best.

Having said that, we are so lucky to have a guy that clearly loves the club is bloody good at his job and at ease with any role he is given. In a way he is our very Tony Parkes, the guy who has looked after Blackburn time and again.

Whoever gets the job, he has helped stop the rot and if we do stay up he'll have played a very important part, just by giving the players a bit of belief in going out there and playing a pro-active game. Everton will take care of itself, but we have to keep the momentum we built yesterday and take that into Stevenage and then Pompey at home.

A against Huddersfield before Ronnie took over.

Very impressed with Philliskirk & Gerrard today & the togetherness of the players & coaching staff, if Dowie turns us down would give them the job til the end of the season.

Wow!!!... 1 win and Philliskirk is the new messiah???? Get a grip ffs

What scratch said.

I am sure he does a great job, but some are suggesting he gets the managers job, even though he does not want it if you are one of them, you need to get a grip.

Who said make him manager?

He said IF dowie turns us down, then interim.

Sometihng Corney has said he was considering, and TP has said he does not want the FT job.

We could dop a lot worse.

I have advocated TP every change of manager, I thnik you ahve to look over years not just one result.

Anyway, with the same players, we got a good result against a good side, We were organaised. And people are highlighting what has in effect changed over night.

I think you are making a moutain out of a molehill. Get a grip FFS!!! ;-)

TP is going to get it to the end of season surely?

I don't think he will purely because he's honest enough to see his value in working elsewhere within the club. I do think it's vital that the new man should be someone who realises that TP's opinion on players is one that should be taken very seriously and, in that respect, it makes a transition to Dowie all that more obvious. However, in terms of any negotiations that may be on-going, I reckon Saturday's result & performance have strengthened Corney's hand in that we no longer look as 'needy'.

I don't think he will purely because he's honest enough to see his value in working elsewhere within the club. I do think it's vital that the new man should be someone who realises that TP's opinion on players is one that should be taken very seriously and, in that respect, it makes a transition to Dowie all that more obvious. However, in terms of any negotiations that may be on-going, I reckon Saturday's result & performance have strengthened Corney's hand in that we no longer look as 'needy'.

Since Colchester and Scunny won, I don't think it changes much.

Since Colchester and Scunny won, I don't think it changes much.

I'd say us stopping the rot and getting our league first win since before the Christmas decorations went up changes plenty despite what went on elsewhere. There'll be more confidence in the squad now that we can get out of this mess that, without Saturday's result, the new man would have had to instill.

In today's rarely-wrong Chron:

“I have heard Dowie’s name bandied about,” said Philliskirk, who was Dowie’s assistant at Athletic prior to his departure in 2003.

“He is an excellent manager and an excellent coach and I think that is something the teams needs.

“I have had conversations with chairman Simon Corney. He thinks this is a massive appointment for the club.

“It is really important to get the right man, who will integrate the youth."

http://www.oldham-ch...7707/right-move

Guest Scratch2000uk

Who said make him manager?

He said IF dowie turns us down, then interim.

Sometihng Corney has said he was considering, and TP has said he does not want the FT job.

We could dop a lot worse.

I have advocated TP every change of manager, I thnik you ahve to look over years not just one result.

Anyway, with the same players, we got a good result against a good side, We were organaised. And people are highlighting what has in effect changed over night.

I think you are making a moutain out of a molehill. Get a grip FFS!!! ;-)

And that's all down to Philliskirk is it? On the evidence of what? one game? Haven't we been here before? great performance( although quite rare) then played absolute gash the next game?

Rosa suggested giving him the job long term ( miss that did ya?),and others certainly implicated,that they would be happy for him to manage us, how long for is irrelevant, seeing as he's not interested in it anyway so then,why bother placing him in charge till the end of the season?

I have no problem with people showing appreciation to loyal members of staff who work at Oldham Athletic, i just though it was all bit OTT to suggest that Philliskirks one game in charge merited giving him the job and that the performance was solely down to his management skills.Hey, I could be wrong.