Robbie Rogers (Stevenage/Leeds) retires and come out as gay

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9874051/Former-Leeds-and-USA-midfielder-Robbie-Rogers-reveals-he-is-gay.html

I must say this story, or the way it has been reported, has got my goat. If you read his statement, he has clearly been deeply troubled by living in denial all his life, including family issues, and has a deep-rooted religious angle to it. Why is this reported as an issue in football rather than in the man's life? The bloke has retired after not making the grade in England and being crocked for most of the last two years. I make the odd joke at Ackey's expense but we all know it's just in fun. No doubt the first lower league footballer to be openly gay would get a bit of chanting every week off a few fools, but I honestly don't think many people would care.

It made the news because professional sports is one industry that still massively stigmatises being gay, to the degree that only three professional footballers have ever come out. And one of them committed suicide.

I'm not saying it's easy, but the world has moved on since Brian Clough bullying Fashanu in 1980. Gareth Thomas seemed to do OK coming out in the rugby world, we all know who a number of gay footballers are and don't really care.

Rugby is a more accepting sport than football. In terms of fans. Especially Rugby League which prides itself on a family crowd since they moved to summer rugby and adopted names such as - Rhinos, Tigers, Bulls etc.

Arguable - is the average punter passing the gates at Fulham or Arsenal less open to diverse sexual practices than the guy going into a Rugby League match? Not meaning to paint League fans as bigots I should add. I do accept that an openly gay player at our level would get some stick, but I reckon if it was one of our own the vast majority of our fans would back him.

I still think a footballer coming out would get dog's abuse from crowds, and possibly ostracised in the dressing room. The few footballers I've met haven't struck me as thoughtful, tolerant types (yeah, I know, generalising is bad).

Think there is more to it than just the abuse, all the extra unwanted attention from all the pc brigrade who will expect him to appear in allese ck it out/respect campaigns wanting him to be in the limelight

Isn't one of the reasons because of the huge financial implications? Footballers are handsomely paid, even out our level. For one to 'come out', it could have a huge impact especially if any reaction affects his on-field performances.

It stands to reason there are quite a few hiding this aspect of their lives given how many professional footballers there are. It's a shame that they have to but I can understand completely why.

Isn't one of the reasons because of the huge financial implications? Footballers are handsomely paid, even out our level. For one to 'come out', it could have a huge impact especially if any reaction affects his on-field performances.

It stands to reason there are quite a few hiding this aspect of their lives given how many professional footballers there are. It's a shame that they have to but I can understand completely why.

I think I saw a programme that says the first one to do it, unless they are making multi-millions in endorsements will make money as they will then get the endorsements from companies that want a gay footballer.

No football club would be daft enough to have any gay player loose money due to discrimination laws.