Corney on managerial vacancy

"If it isn't broke, don't fix it. As long as Tony is happy to keep helping us out, I would look an idiot bringing someone in.

“Tony knows the players. They have all come up to me and told me how they are enjoying it and how they feel they are being coached really well.

“It doesn’t mean it will stay like this and it doesn’t mean we are not talking to one or two people, because we are. We always have been.

“But people are making wild guesses and people are insinuating things that aren’t true. Only myself and the board know what is going on.”

http://www.oldham-ch...oing-great-tony

Interesting, I just hope that if things don't work that Tony can go back to what he was doing. Not sure Les Parry went back to being Physio at the bin dippers and he had been there for years. I like what has happened over the last few games, a bold move to make changes to our team yesterday, ultimately a good decision. He smiles a lot on the touchline too, something which must calm the players

I just hope that if he is going to persist with TP he will use some of the cup money and bring in some help for him until the end of the season in order to lighten his workload.

This.

Paul Murray is now Player / Manager for the reserves. I like the fact that when Cliff Byrne is a match-day sub; he can still do some sneaky coaching from the subs warm-up area (a bonus actually)....but they're all stop gaps.

With TP and PG in the mix, oh and Mick Priest - they're all doing 2; some of them 3 different roles - and whilst it's working for now - surely that can't carry on?

If Corney is going to go with TP & Team for the rest of the season - and I'd have no qualms with that - then there has to be a short term appointment in a backroom role to cover the added workloads. A 1st team coach, who takes on the reserves is a must IMO if we're going with as we are till the end of the season.

I just hope that if he is going to persist with TP he will use some of the cup money and bring in some help for him until the end of the season in order to lighten his workload.

I'm not convinced that's necessary, much as people keep harping on about it. He's got a backroom team of Priest, Gerrard, Byrne and Murray. I reckon they should be able manage between the lot of them until the end of the season. I suspect that, as long as the intention is for TP to return to heading up the youth setup, he won't want to relinquish control of just yet and it's that rather than being short-handed that's the reason he's staying as involved as he is.

Quote..........

“It doesn’t mean it will stay like this and it doesn’t mean we are not talking to one or two people, because we are. We always have been."

Corney told the M.E.N before weekend that the only person he had spoken to regarding the managers job was Iain Dowie

Edited by oafc1955

I'm not convinced that's necessary, much as people keep harping on about it. He's got a backroom team of Priest, Gerrard, Byrne and Murray. I reckon they should be able manage between the lot of them until the end of the season. I suspect that, as long as the intention is for TP to return to heading up the youth setup, he won't want to relinquish control of just yet and it's that rather than being short-handed that's the reason he's staying as involved as he is.

I agree, if he had to wash the last nights entire first team kit at home, drop it off for drying and then drive the stiffs bus to Tranmere Id understand...

I think there is adequate cover availiable and the stiffs are in good hands with Muzza.

Simon obviously isn't listening. TP said in his interview before Tuesday's game that he had had a meeting with SC, and told him that something had to be done soon, meaning this week, regarding a new manager. He is monitoring four teams at the moment and with games coming up at the rate of two a week, proper preparation for 1st team games is not being carried out. He has a 750 page document to get through regarding he new EPPP system, and something for the FA on March 1st. (can't remember what). He would have more than enough to do without managing the 1st team as the club have decided to keep the youth scheme (a mistake in my view). Tony is very willing to help out as is Paul, but there comes a time when people are being used, and their good will taken for granted. He doesn't want the job full time he says, but would he if SC offered to bring in someone to run the youth system?

This is a recipe for leaving TP in charge until the end of season. If SC waits until we go on another bad run, I'm hoping this won't happen, then it will be too late to bring someone in. You can't expect someone to take over needing a win % better than where we are now. I'm happy with TP but if we end up getting a new manager after the end of the season it means we then have someone who does not know the players. Makes you wonder where all the money is going!

Odd comment by Simon. Maybe I'm taking it too literally - but he seems to be saying he'll leave TP in charge until we start losing again, then it's manager hunt time again. He can hardly be saying to prospective managers "yes, there's a job up for grabs, but you have to wait until we start losing".

Corney admits he's made managerial mistakes before and wants to get it right this time. His big dilemma now is what if Latics keep winning, he appoints someone from outside and then the team starts losing?

What do you think smart arse?

Touchy touchy......

I tend to feel its ok to speculate about the new manager but not to state that an offer has been made and turned down already because its not good enough due to money when you dont have a clue

my view...I still have feeling that Dowie will end up being the new boss, just because its taking a while (not as long as it took Blackpool to apppoint someone by the way) does not mean talks are over, but i dont know obviously :wink:

Edited by palmer1

Touchy touchy......

I tend to feel its ok to speculate about the new manager but not to state that an offer has been made and turned down already because its not good enough due to money when you dont have a clue

my view...I still have feeling that Dowie will end up being the new boss, just because its taking a while (not as long as it took Blackpool to apppoint someone by the way) does not mean talks are over, but i dont know obviously :wink:

I think you know what I meant you pedantic git :wink: .

I don't get it myself. TP doesn't want to be manager, publicly stated the fact but totally devoted to the club and burning himself out performing numerous roles.

I hope SC isnt attempting to fill on the cheap by exploiting TP's devotion and hoping he gets bitten by the bug.

We have the money now to secure an ambitious, driven and influential manager who will increase our chances of delivering success over the coming seasons.

Dowie ticks all the boxes and pairing him with our squad would be exciting and successful bringing a refreshing product to the pitch. Him and TP got on well I believe and ID is a massive supporter of bringing through youth players. His son said he sees us as a long term project which implies he'd be here for a while.

Don't go cheap on us please Simon.....

I don't get it myself. TP doesn't want to be manager, publicly stated the fact but totally devoted to the club and burning himself out performing numerous roles.

I hope SC isnt attempting to fill on the cheap by exploiting TP's devotion and hoping he gets bitten by the bug.

We have the money now to secure an ambitious, driven and influential manager who will increase our chances of delivering success over the coming seasons.

Dowie ticks all the boxes and pairing him with our squad would be exciting and successful bringing a refreshing product to the pitch. Him and TP got on well I believe and ID is a massive supporter of bringing through youth players. His son said he sees us as a long term project which implies he'd be here for a while.

Don't go cheap on us please Simon.....

:applause1: :applause1: :applause1:

Without wishing to fan any flames or be controversial, I think it matters that we're winning.

True. But it would be hard for TP to move back into the background if we were relegated.

When d*wie was here he loved TP and made him assistant manager. TP moaned in public a few times but did a great job. He then managed to go back where he wants when d*wie told his microphone enhanced lies and jumped ship. TP's merging back into the background has since been of great benefit both in financial and playing terms, and SC is beeing extremely short sighted IF he is risking this in future.