Iwelumo, get out of our club.

I didn't go to the game, (I went to the first one), and don't want to slag off any member of our team - I was proud of their achievements before and after the game regardless - but we WERE a different team when Smiffy and Simps came on. Everton were genuinely fearful of Smiffy, and Simpson got stuck in big time. I think the initial team selection is one of the very few things that TP has got wrong since the start of his tenure - Smiffy SHOULD have started - you can imagine the relief of the Everton defence when they realised he wasn't! I think that, and the fact that Wes wasn't 100% (and therefore restricted to a cameo) that prevented a closer game - but even so, we gave'em a game - hit the post, SHOULD have had a penalty, and had a good go in the 2nd half.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have possibly preferred Smith to start but I also totally see why CI was chosen.

I thought CI did a good job against MK Dons and in a game such as last night, it was a fair call to say lets gets someone with experience on the pitch to try and soften up the centre halves before putting Smith to try and smash through them for 30+ mins of normal time and then extra time if we had a little bit of luck. With the more important match at the weekend, it was vital that both target men shared the workload last night and that's what happened. That the plan didn't work perfectly may (just may) have something to do with the fact that we arrived at the ground with League One players (or in the case of CI, a Championship player who can't get a game because others are better than him) and Everton ( from the Premier League) played their strongest team.

People will have different opionions on team selection and, hopefully, the players don't see some of the :censored: that gets written on here and on Twitter but the 'get out of our club' tone is abhorrent. I'll presume that the OP either just isn't old enough to know any better or lacks sufficient vocabulary to express themselves in a mature way.

Edited by Twisbrogan

I'd have possibly preferred Smith to start but I also totally see why CI was chosen.

I thought CI did a good job against MK Dons and in a game such as last night, it was a fair call to say lets gets someone with experience on the pitch to try and soften up the centre halves before putting Smith to try and smash through them for 30+ mins of normal time and then extra time if we had a little bit of luck. With the more important match at the weekend, it was vital that both target men shared the workload last night and that's what happened. That the plan didn't work perfectly may (just may) have something to do with the fact that we arrived at the ground with League One players (or in the case of CI, a Championship player who can't get a game because others are better than him) and Everton ( from the Premier League) played their strongest team.

People will have different opionions on team selection and, hopefully, the players don't see some of the :censored: that gets written on here and on Twitter but the 'get out of our club' tone is abhorrent. I'll presume that the OP either just isn't old enough to know any better or lacks sufficient vocabulary to express themselves in a mature way.

This ^

Top post.

Guy in front of us spent most of the game spitting vitriol towards Barnard - shame he didn't score. Had similar at Forest - Furman the target there. Popped over a decent cross for one of the goals so he switched his attention to the fairly mild mannered stewards.

Everyone has favoured and un-favoured players. There's probably a better way to put the critique though.

I'd say his selection probably was a mistake. Not because he wasn't arsed - he was back at right back at one stage - he is just not mobile enough. I think I'd beat him in a foot-race - even Luke Beckett might give him a run for his money,

Wasn't he up against Distan & Jagielka last night? Just checking.

That's why it was a wrong selection IMO - he has experience and quality that would stand him in some stead against lower league players as he knows a bit more than them, but it's not going to impress them much. Smith on the other hand has the advantage of being very big, which there is only so much you can do about. I was very surprised to see him start, but I don't know the fitness situations. It's clear to me that Barnard is by far the best forward we have on the books.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Wasn't he up against Distan & Jagielka last night? Just checking.

I think Distan and Jagielka had hold of the hems of Iwlelumo's shorts. Maybe that's why he didn't wanna jump? :shakeit:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Wrong selection Tuesday but will do well against league 1 so we do need him. Every team needs options and with Smith and Iwelump we have then. Sometimes the raw aggression of Smith is what you need.

Can't understand why Smith didn't start Tuesday - always thought he would score against them but why go back to putting him on when we are behind. Someone explain to me why Iwelump was the right option against Everton! Please!!

I am sure I am not the only one thinking this but the only thing I want out of 'our' club is this moronic attitude towards players and staff (and that included Dave Penney)

Not rating a player is one thing, this whole 'get out of our club thing'.....I'd like to think our fans have more class than that. Maybe I am badly mistaken.

absolutely simce when has the fact that you pay money to get into a football match given people the divine right to act like a dickhead. Also dont use the excuse of "passion" either hurling abuse at our own players is not passion its called being a moron. If you feel that strongly about something then knowones forcing you to be there. Sometimes i think boundary park can feel like a daycare centre for people who have nothing better to do with their sad little lives.

P.S. Smith deserves to start saturday

Guest Scratch2000uk

Were we not in poor form before he came

Been in poor form for best part of three seasons Under Dickov, and poor form before he came here.

So the run of better form is down to Iwelumo is it? given the fact that the teams we beat, have managed to amalagamate just two wins from twenty four between them.

I'm not convinced. :omg:

• 3 weeks later...