matt smith is a wanted man

I was one of Smith's biggest critics but used the right way he is a right handful as we saw against our neigbours (both red and blue) from Merseyside.

He is too slow at any level but put the diaganol ball into the box and he will cause problem's.

He will get his move and good luck to him.

It's yet another example of Latics being too slow at tying people down to get a fee (been happening all through TTA's reign) and we lose out again...............its no wonder we have got no :censored:ing money!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be due back fairly soon, hes been in the gym friday and today whilst ive been there, seemed to be pushing hard on the bikes n that.

I dont personally rate him, and before the fa cup run, if someone had said championship clubs were looking at him i'd have laughed at you. If he does go then good luck to the lad, hes given me some great moments this season.

I was one of Smith's biggest critics but used the right way he is a right handful as we saw against our neigbours (both red and blue) from Merseyside.

He is too slow at any level but put the diaganol ball into the box and he will cause problem's.

He will get his move and good luck to him.

It's yet another example of Latics being too slow at tying people down to get a fee (been happening all through TTA's reign) and we lose out again...............its no wonder we have got no :censored:ing money!

So like most of us, you thought he was too :censored: to be worth signing up again until the point where he'd been seen several times doing good things on national TV against top opposition. Bit hard to blame the club for not offering him 5 years on good terms last Summer?

So like most of us, you thought he was too :censored: to be worth signing up again until the point where he'd been seen several times doing good things on national TV against top opposition. Bit hard to blame the club for not offering him 5 years on good terms last Summer?

If the club had the original contract ending before he was 24 we would be getting some compensation when he left. That is the lack of foresight.

That's exactly the point. Pre- Forest, how many would have been clamouring for a big contract offer? He didnt deserve one. You can hardly blame the club for not offering a fresh terms to a player who looked for all the world to be set for L2 or below after seeing out his deal with us.

Yep; he's well and truly put himself in the shop window with his itv exploits; and he will be definately off this summer.......but i dont think the club can be blamed in this for the lack of proactive contract; I wouldnt have wanted him to have had one at that stage; and neither did the club.

To be fair to the lad - we have already got his moving on fee. He got us an extra 200k+ for the replay.

I admit I used to groan at the start of the season - but when he learned how to jump properly and even hold the ball he showed he has the potential.

Good luck to the lad and thanks for the memories.

Really? Is Smith really good enough for the Championship?

Think Smith is one of a very rare breed that will actually do better at a higher level.

League one and 2 are pretty rough and somebody like Smith just gets battered about and wins nowt.

At a higher level many of the challenges are deemed fouls so he either gets a free kick or wins the header.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he can do a Crouch job for somebody (even Stock maybe interested )

Think Smith is one of a very rare breed that will actually do better at a higher level.

League one and 2 are pretty rough and somebody like Smith just gets battered about and wins nowt.

At a higher level many of the challenges are deemed fouls so he either gets a free kick or wins the header.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he can do a Crouch job for somebody (even Stock maybe interested )

On the contrary, his complete lack of ability will be shown up even further at a higher level. He's not even particularly great in the air. He has improved this season, but he's probably still not even good enough for our level.

If someone waived a big cheque at me my head would be turned, short career and he has his educashun to fall back on if it doesn't work out. I doubt if he will surpass his goals in this season's FA Cup so his football career has already peaked, anything that happens after this season is a bonus. Would sitting on a bigger team's bench with better facilities and better players really be a bad thing to do if it was offered to any of us? Worst comes to the worst, half a season bench warming, then reserves only, then being encouraged to go on loan "to get some fitness eh?" then being paid off before being picked up by a league one or two team for a further two years would take him to 27/28. Still got time to leave football and set up his own consultancy or other employment.