A positive from yesterday - Kirk Millar

And at Tranmere too.

Wanted the ball. Got crosses in. Looked sharper than Croft.

I've spent close to three years wondering what he's in and around the squad for. There are signs that it might fall into place for him.

I hope so. Even though I'd have binned him years ago!

Jesus we are in the :censored: if millar is becoming a viable option !

Jesus, don't you want our youngsters to turn into good footballers?

There really is no :censored:ing point a half decent prospect joining our youth set up if that's the response fans give after somebody gives it a half decent go when they get some game time.

Edited by opinions4u

Jesus, don't you want our youngsters to turn into good footballers?

There really is no :censored:ing point a half decent prospect joining our youth set up if that's the response fans give after somebody gives it a half decent go when they get some game time.

I genuinely worry that some supporters haven't grasped the consequences of choosing to continue with the youth set-up. The vast majority (including me) wanted to keep it but what everyone should realise is that it will mean more reliance on the likes of Millar, Tarky & Winchester. Supporters will either have to choose to be more patient and supportive of them or understand that constantly running them down is fruitless and pointless. Inward transfer and loan activity will be tailing off from hereon in but I don't think people have understood that.

I genuinely worry that some supporters haven't grasped the consequences of choosing to continue with the youth set-up. The vast majority (including me) wanted to keep it but what everyone should realise is that it will mean more reliance on the likes of Millar, Tarky & Winchester. Supporters will either have to choose to be more patient and supportive of them or understand that constantly running them down is fruitless and pointless. Inward transfer and loan activity will be tailing off from hereon in but I don't think people have understood that.

Fazackerley.

So many fans expect the finished article straight away, Tarky with a few games under his belt is still learning. Even Beckham had the luxury of playing on loan at Preston before going into the first team. I hope one good thing that comes out of this season is that the new manager will have a remit to work with Tony Kirk to develop our yoof. We as fans need to be patient and supportive of them, not get on their backs.

I stick to my post, Kirk millar is not good enough , and certainly not in our present situation , of course I want to see our youngsters make it, and I believe tarky n Winchester are good enough , not Kirk millar

So what did you think of his contribution yesterday?

You've written him off without commenting on his most recent effort.

"I stand by what I said and I'll never give him a chance even when he does quite well". Brilliant.

Edited by opinions4u

I've spent this season thinking he was just making up the numbers. We his number came up yesterday I thought we may as well wave the white flag. I then spent the next 20 minutes repeatedly saying 'well done, Kirk' as he got stuck in, pushed forward and showed a bit of desire. He played for his future. I wish the others realised they were playing for theirs too.

Maybe TP should throw a few of the other youngsters in for tuesday, Taylor, Winchester, Mellor. Whilst the others don't care and have no affiliations to Oldham, these boys grew up and progressed under Tony and will have more respect and dedication to work hard for him, if not the club. Maybe if the senior players see what guts and fight and pride in the shirt are they'll pick up too (but I wouldn't count on it)

Yep fair play to young kirk, for me he would have been one of the first through the door a few weeks back but his cameos against trannies and Bournemouth have made me think again. It was refreshing to see a player come on the pitch and chase every single ball down and not back out of any challenges, maybe the other 10 should of took notice of him.

I was also in the camp of " why is he still here? "......but at least he's come on and tried to make an impact and yesterday fired over a couple of good crosses. I would love him to prove me wrong.

The only reservations I have with being heavily reliant on youth is, if we do go down, would we be physically strong enough to compete?

The more successful L2 sides are usually big bruisers who muscle their way out of the league.

Part of me questions should we bother struggling in this league....

Should we not focus on our youth, deliver a nucleus of hungry players, TP performs a role he enjoys, we bring in someone equally hungry at the helm to take first team matches and start again in League 2

Granted attendances will decline but we then cut our cloth accordingly with no debt. The club simply pays Corney rent on BP until we move or can buy back and they keep the land in return for retaining the debts.

We rebuild afresh with a clear focus from the youth players and bring in talented and hungry players from lower leagues who can make the step up to League 2 with the target of building a "team" ethic that could perform at the top end of League 1, possibly Championship

Agree with O4U. Millar was good against Tranmere too but I feel like if we're going to give a youngster a chance it has to be Dan Taylor. Consistently does the job in the reserves and still doesn't get off the bench. I know a lot of people have said that Iwelumo was good yesterday, I'm really not having that and I think he should be replaced by a player with speed. Baxter tried so many through balls and Iwelumo on multiple occasions was too slow to get them. It was painful to watch.

On Millar, his body language, like the rest, looks absolutely void of confidence understandably when he gets doubted by everybody at the club. If he wants to stay next season he needs to show something more than he has in these past 2 games but it's a good start for him. Although, I wouldn't start him v Hartlepool.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Any talent brought through the youth system will be sold, The ones we have aren't good enough according to TP and his predecessor, so we will get more loanees. I just can't see that changing anytime soon.

Not a fan of Millar one bit , but he did put a couple of quality crosses in .

The Croft & Obita who played yesterday were pale shadows of the ones who played against Liverpool & Everton.

Imagine Monty will be back in on Tuesday , with the new Smith alongside Wes , with Baxter & Barnard up front.