Lee Johnson's Latics Player interview

I like what I've heard from him so far, but something really stood out for me:

"I know they're not quite up to 90 minutes fitness yet."

At 37 games into the season that really is a damning statement towards the previous regime.

Also I look forward to hearing the songs he creates for us to sing about each player! Wait until Saturday Lee, we'll show you what we've got! :)

I thought this also, for me it shows just how unprofessional Dickov and the other coaches were. Now I can see why SC put them on gardeners leave. Just so refreshing to hear a manager with a clear strategy and someone who's already identified our weaknesses. Long may it continue.

Someone else who discussed the role was shocked at how poor the training and preparation had become.

They wasn't surprised in the slightest that the players were blowing out their backsides within 60 minutes. This is probably why we folded so many times in the second half.

Sounds like LJ recognised this too and is the first thing being addressed.

Someone else who discussed the role was shocked at how poor the training and preparation had become.

They wasn't surprised in the slightest that the players were blowing out their backsides within 60 minutes. This is probably why we folded so many times in the second half.

Sounds like LJ recognised this too and is the first thing being addressed.

He made very clear reference to fitness.

While not maligning Lee Croft, he did use him as an example in the meeting with fans on Monday. Is it better to have Croft pacing himself for 90 minutes, or is it better to get just over an hour out of him going full pelt and then bring on fresh legs?

That's the short term fix. Sensibly timed substitutions.

I think the whole fitness regime needs pulling apart longer term and I don't doubt this will happen. Lee Johnson was asked would he employ a sports scientist type person. His diplomatic answer was that you have to weigh up the pros and cons as it's a wage that means one less player in the squad. I might be wrong, but I think he'd rather have the player. The coaching side of things an look after the rest - fitness and diet being integral to the role of a good coach.

As for Croft, I think Lee Johnson could save his career. If he doesn't fire him off at the end of the season.

Edited by opinions4u

Thought he looked much more comfortable in front of the camera and more impressive in this interview than anything he's done pre-match.

Something which is pretty tiresome already is the questioning to Lee about his father and similarly to Gary about his son (as in the Sky interview after Yeovil's game last night). We get it - it's novel, but probably time to drop it now.

Thought he looked much more comfortable in front of the camera and more impressive in this interview than anything he's done pre-match.

Something which is pretty tiresome already is the questioning to Lee about his father and similarly to Gary about his son (as in the Sky interview after Yeovil's game last night). We get it - it's novel, but probably time to drop it now.

It won't go away until the two blokes are managing in different divisions.

Sports scientists are one thing but at this level it's more leadership and influence from the manager. If that manager is an ex-player who has focus and aspirations to become a manager then they would know how to get players fit, maintain fitness and discipline.

If a players needs an extra person to motivate them then do we want them in the squad?

It amazes me when you see managers with a whole entourage of assistants for specific areas. I always think that if someone has to surround them with help then they either can't or won't expand their knowledge in those areas. Laziness breeds laziness.

Plus I'd rather have an extra Korey Smith playing each Saturday then a backside on the bench with a clipboard and stopwatch.

Sports scientists are one thing but at this level it's more leadership and influence from the manager. If that manager is an ex-player who has focus and aspirations to become a manager then they would know how to get players fit, maintain fitness and discipline.

If a players needs an extra person to motivate them then do we want them in the squad?

It amazes me when you see managers with a whole entourage of assistants for specific areas. I always think that if someone has to surround them with help then they either can't or won't expand their knowledge in those areas. Laziness breeds laziness.

Plus I'd rather have an extra Korey Smith playing each Saturday then a backside on the bench with a clipboard and stopwatch.

He didn't say it in quite that depth. But I think that's what was going through his mind.

If you've big resources I wouldn't look at it quite the way you've outlined. But we haven't.

Think its been pretty obvious to most fans that we are not as fit as should be .

Been saying so all season especially when average teams come to BP and outrun us and walk away with 3 points without much skill.

This is probably the main factor why so many late goals conceded as well.

Tiredness lead to loss of concentration.

Great to see a clean sheet last night.

Most sides in this division have a very high work rate and the difference is that little bit of skill in particular players.

We have that skill to match just not the workrate which hopefully Lee will address.

Also great to see the upbeat tempo and pressing their back line something not seen since PD early days.

Hopefully this time it will get better and last longer.

When Lee was first appointed my first reaction was

"What on earth are we doing , league 2 here we come"

I know its very early days but the more i read , see and hear from him coupled with last nights first run out it has certainly changed my mind .

I can fully understand given the sort of interview he must have done as to why SC just couldn't ignore him.

Maybe , just maybe it might prove the sort of manager to take Latics on to bigger and better things.

Certainly can't do any worse than the past 5 or 6 that have seen us stand still.

Good Luck Lee and hopefully last night is the first of many more entertaining performances that ultimately lead to better crowds at BP.

He's winning me round massively. In the long run, it may be "all talk" but I just don't see that. Some of the things he's said about having 100 day plan, half year, year plans, identifying our strengths and weaknesses, monitoring the players, it all sounds good to me. Thought out, thorough, not just talked his way in with nothing to back it up. Hopefully we've got a good'un!

Dunno if its been mentioned on other threads but when the Lee met the 12 fans, he mentioned a player with a surname of Butler and Corney interjected with a angry/jovial response of "don't mention that name in here" clearly not a fan of the clipboard warrior.

That was probably Paul Buter the fella with the clipboard who used to do the warm ups - and science bit....

Players didnt like him much by all accounts

I watched a video on the BBC website the other day about the preparation that Billy Davies goes through for each match at Forest. It was quite incredible how much prep work he puts into each fixture. He even has his own media studio at home where i monitors training which he has filmed. Seems like he plans to the minute detail. Was actually quite a fascinating insight into how the game has changed over the last 15 years or so. If LJ has that same attention to detail and approach then whatever happens he will leave us with a more professional setup hopefully.

Think its been pretty obvious to most fans that we are not as fit as should be .

Been saying so all season especially when average teams come to BP and outrun us and walk away with 3 points without much skill.

Most sides in this division have a very high work rate and the difference is that little bit of skill in particular players.

We have that skill to match just not the workrate which hopefully Lee will address.

Also great to see the upbeat tempo and pressing their back line something not seen since PD early days.

When Lee was first appointed my first reaction was

"What on earth are we doing , league 2 here we come"

I know its very early days but the more i read , see and hear from him coupled with last nights first run out it has certainly changed my mind .

I can fully understand given the sort of interview he must have done as to why SC just couldn't ignore him.

Maybe , just maybe it might prove the sort of manager to take Latics on to bigger and better things.

Certainly can't do any worse than the past 5 or 6 that have seen us stand still.

Good Luck Lee and hopefully last night is the first of many more entertaining performances that ultimately lead to better crowds at BP.

Have to agree first thought was oh F**king hell who?? - but the more I find out about the badges and his views etc. - I may have been a bit quick off the mark - may have found the right man at last.

Edited by Stoney

I watched a video on the BBC website the other day about the preparation that Billy Davies goes through for each match at Forest. It was quite incredible how much prep work he puts into each fixture. He even has his own media studio at home where i monitors training which he has filmed. Seems like he plans to the minute detail. Was actually quite a fascinating insight into how the game has changed over the last 15 years or so. If LJ has that same attention to detail and approach then whatever happens he will leave us with a more professional setup hopefully.

SC may have found a little gem, both Billy Davies and LJ are 5'6" tall - out of little acorns....

LJ said:

“I knew we only had 70 minutes of that tempo in us. They aren’t up to 90 minutes yet but they will get there. They’ll have a day off tomorrow and then we will get them back in to show them what they have done well and what they can improve on. If we can keep going like that we will win more than we lose.”

LJ said:

“I knew we only had 70 minutes of that tempo in us. They aren’t up to 90 minutes yet but they will get there. They’ll have a day off tomorrow and then we will get them back in to show them what they have done well and what they can improve on. If we can keep going like that we will win more than we lose.”

Under Dickov we were lucky to get 10 mins on a rare good day of any substantial high tempo football let alone 70! Sometimes you just need to take the game to the opposition and put them on the back foot. So many matches over the last couple of seasons where teams were there for the taking if only we raised our game and got out of 1st gear but instead we gifted them goals and they won without even breaking a sweat!