Ernieflag in San Marino

Here's the report from taking the flag to San Marino. I was expecting it to be a double haeder report with taking it to Shrewsbury today but as the Gods were against us on that I've been able to write it up a bit earlier.

Ernieflag in San Marino

Good to see a few Latics fans out there for the game.

Having been at the game I wondered what your observations were of the alleged racist chanting. I could hear his name on the telly but didn't make out the full chant. I can see the England fans being angry at him turning his back on his country, but not to turn to that. If anything I would think the Ferdinands are supported by the fans, with the notable exception of Chelsea.

I heard nothing racist and interestingly the FA have confirmed today that they have found no evidence of the chant that is being deemed as racist. When England play away the number of FA officials and police mixed in with the fans is ridiculously high. They also record the fans throughout so they should know.

There was abuse aimed at Rio (I heard no mention at all of Anton). Personally I didn't join in but also didn't feel it was inappropriate. There were several thousand fans who'd paid a lot of money and used holidays to go and support the national team. It's hardly surprising that they are angry with someone who 'can't be arsed' to play.

I am often critical of the FA but you cannot argue with the job they have done to 'clean up' the England support. It must be a kick in the teeth to them to see headlines like they have in the last few days.

The story has come from Ollie Holt but has not been backed up by other well respected journalists who were sat with him at the game. I do not believe that he will have made this story up but I suspect that he's heard something from 2 or 3 fans and tried to make a story out of it. To try and tar the whole England support with the same brush is disgraceful.

The FA have said the chant is vile; so I expect United will be penalised for singing the same chant. But then again...

It's a bit of a non-story highlighted by Ollie Holt who makes mountains out of molehills with any thing vaguely racist. He is still yet to Publically apologise to Crofty for saying he was racist towards the Sheff U ballboy but he is far from the only one.

To be honest, I read the piece by Ollie Holt, and it was a Littlejohn type rant about nothing. We used to sing the build a bonfire song at junior school, and replaced the Ferdinand's with teachers and prefects. Should it have been about two white brothers, nothing would have been said.

I believe that if it was sung there was no racial intent, but the sad thing is that some people look for racism in the most innoccuous of things.

I suppose the Great Escape being played by the England band would be considered racist by some, or perhaps xenophobic.

Much ado about nothing.

I've put a more detailed response to the allegations on the blog section of the site.

http://www.ernieflag...-to-oliver-holt

Well wrote, think that kind of hits the nail on the head, not being there I can only take your word for it but reading all other articles from various media outlets, think this sums it up.