FANS AT BURY FOOTBALL CLUB

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it would have but not as much as a competent bit of intelligence, decent policing and a contingency plan. Plus the ability for someone to actually make the decision, to move home fans, delay kick off and let every one in.

Beat me to it. What a load of bollocks that official statement is. If our team bus had broken down, or if there had been a big pile up near the ground, kick off would have been delayed no problem what-so-ever.

Rudematic I do not agree with your comments about ALL ticket problems. You are far better knowing beforehand what tickets are sold and you can plan accordinlgy. Those that would turn up without a ticket in these circumstances would be very few. You are likely to have a more volatile crowd when supporters are so upset when some had bought tickets etc.as with last Saturday.

Fans turning up without tickets do not deserve any consideration if they do so knowing it is an all ticket game and can be policed accordingly. You say that our club could be blamed to a lesser extent. What do you mean and in what respect.?

Barry

Rudematic I do not agree with your comments about ALL ticket problems. You are far better knowing beforehand what tickets are sold and you can plan accordinlgy. Those that would turn up without a ticket in these circumstances would be very few. You are likely to have a more volatile crowd when supporters are so upset when some had bought tickets etc.as with last Saturday.

Fans turning up without tickets do not deserve any consideration if they do so knowing it is an all ticket game and can be policed accordingly. You say that our club could be blamed to a lesser extent. What do you mean and in what respect.?

Barry

Well why did Bury think that stand would be enough? Who provided the "intelligence" that said we wouldn't bring more than 2000? If the club had no input into that then what is the point?

On Friday, on the club's website it said we had sold 1000+ tickets and often in the past have taken the same number of fans again looking to pay on the day. From the statements made by Bury and the GMP they were unaware of this. Did the club tell them?

As for all ticket, that theory only works if it's all ticket for home fans as well. Bury were not going to make it all ticket for home fans. That means people who were unable to get a ticket for our end for whatever reason would have tried to gain entry into the home ends. It is a very local game, it only costs £4.00 on the bus to get there for the majority. For some it is even closer and easier to get to than BP is. We had a good couple of hundred fans unable to get in the ground, if it had been a sell-out Bury might not have gotten much more notice. As it was they should have had over 20 hours notice to realise that stand wasn't necessarily going to be big enough. They did nothing, the situation could have been resolved in 30 minutes, it certainly was in 2002. So if they didn't do anything with over 20 hours notice why should I believe they would have done anything with longer notice.

The trouble was mainly involving those fans who were in the home ends, all-ticket for our fans wouldn't have stopped that. As we saw at Stockport a few years ago. If I hadnt been able to get a ticket if it had been all-ticket I'd have backed myself to be able to enter the home end, especially with their well-publicised financial problems. I wouldn't have been the only one either.

Incidentally what were you doing whilst a few hundred fans were locked out, some of whom had tickets? That is exactly the sort of situation I'd have expected the fan's representative on the board to get involved in, or the supporter's liaison, where were you? I freely admit you couldn't make the decision, but you could have helped diffuse the situation if needed.

I do think that Latics have a teeny tiny culpability in this. When I purchased my ticket on wednesday, I asked how many we had sold and was told about 500. So at this point it was perfectly clear that the allocation of 2100 would not be enough. If 500 people had tickets when there was no requirement to, then common sense told me that 2100 would not be enough. There was a grey haired chap in the ticket office (think he was a youth coach) and he said 'there will be easily 2000 there' to which I replied 'and the rest'. Anyway, Latics probably should have made sure that bury had set aside the small away section in the main stand, especially when they were telling everyone to rock up even though they had sold over half the stand, when there was absolutely no need to buy in advance.

Also, upon hearing that we had sold 600 (I added on 100 to make it sound even better) my brother decided to get off work because he wanted to be a part of it, he was giddyer than me expecting over 3000.

Burys director is trying to cover his arse with his 'around 900' comment, he was fully aware it was over half with no requirement to buy. He is trying to play it down by turning over a thousand into merely hundreds.

I would allocate blame at 1% Latics, 95% bury and 4% GMP (for not telling bury 'look, this is what were going to do, were shifting your fans along...)

Bury Times' view www.burytimes.co.uk/sport/10361833.COMMENT__Stricken_Bury_can_ill_afford_to_lock_out_their_paying_customers?ref=rss

EDIT can someone make that link clickable, I've forgot how to do it if isnt automatic, cheers.

Edited by rudemedic