FANS AT BURY FOOTBALL CLUB

Regardless of who was to blame for the stand being full, you would have thought that common sense would have prevailed !

Our supporters should have been let throught the turnstiles and ushered along the front of the stand into the sparsely populated stand to our right.

All that would have been needed is half a dozen stewards and a couple of cops to divide the latics support from bury fans, allowing a large space between.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rummy I can't do right for wrong. I get crticised when I don't make comment or appear not to represent the fans and when I do you chose to say I am being superior. That is not the case. I was merely saying a well done to the fans and telling those who could not get in that I was intent in investigating matters from the Oldham prospective. Your apparent view that in some way Oldham bear some resposibility is perhaps born out of ignorance as to how these things work. There is communication between the parties but at the end of the day the initiative rests with the home club in all matters affecting safety and match day arrangements. As someone has pointed out we have already proved our efficiency with excellent arrangements for the cup games when all the agencies worked closely to ensure a good day for all.

I did'nt need to post last night and perhaps thats what you would prefer in the future.

Barry

Regardless of who was to blame for the stand being full, you would have thought that common sense would have prevailed !

Our supporters should have been let throught the turnstiles and ushered along the front of the stand into the sparsely populated stand to our right.

All that would have been needed is half a dozen stewards and a couple of cops to divide the latics support from bury fans, allowing a large space between.

I ended up in Bury's South stand and talking to stewards in there at half time was told that Bury fans behind the goal opposite our end had been asked to move once the problem became apparent and refused. I can't see this as anything other than a Bury FC planning cock up

I ended up in Bury's South stand and talking to stewards in there at half time was told that Bury fans behind the goal opposite our end had been asked to move once the problem became apparent and refused. I can't see this as anything other than a Bury FC planning cock up

Should that be the case, then the cretins do deserve everything they get ;-) not that much of an inconvenience is it to get another 20k into your ailing clubs coffers.

Rummy I can't do right for wrong. I get crticised when I don't make comment or appear not to represent the fans and when I do you chose to say I am being superior. That is not the case. I was merely saying a well done to the fans and telling those who could not get in that I was intent in investigating matters from the Oldham prospective. Your apparent view that in some way Oldham bear some resposibility is perhaps born out of ignorance as to how these things work. There is communication between the parties but at the end of the day the initiative rests with the home club in all matters affecting safety and match day arrangements. As someone has pointed out we have already proved our efficiency with excellent arrangements for the cup games when all the agencies worked closely to ensure a good day for all.

I did'nt need to post last night and perhaps thats what you would prefer in the future.

Barry

Hi Barry.

At the excellent "meet the manager" event in the boardroom Simon went on the offensive, targeting some of the less agreeable comments on the messageboard.

It wasn't necessary. He had a receptive audience in front of him and an intelligent new manager who was just about to impress that grouping.

When you join the board of a football club fans will have a pop at you from time to time. Sometimes it will be justified, other times not. Sometimes it will be direct. Sometimes backhanded.

I welcome your contributions on owtb and would encourage you to post more often. Sometimes you may need to rise above the personal stuff, either by ignoring it or a bit of friendly banter. Sometimes you may have to accept that you won't change people's views on certain matters.

But by continuing to post you will help bridge the gaps that inevitably exist between a football club and it's fans. So, I think you'll do more good by keeping this channel of communication open.

Just my view.

One case won would set a precedent as well. Fair play to the fans who got shafted but made a good do of it, I don't know what I would have been like if I had travelled up for it.

you could always get all the fans who had tickets but didnt get in to put in a class action against bury fc ? that way the legal costs would be minimal per person ?

Hi Barry.

I welcome your contributions on owtb and would encourage you to post more often. Sometimes you may need to rise above the personal stuff, either by ignoring it or a bit of friendly banter. Sometimes you may have to accept that you won't change people's views on certain matters.

But by continuing to post you will help bridge the gaps that inevitably exist between a football club and it's fans. So, I think you'll do more good by keeping this channel of communication open.

Barry thanks for posting. KTF

Barry thanks for posting. KTF

Yes Barry , please keep posting

It is welcomed and a good insight, as far as you're possible to do , from the club's perspective

Most if not all on here have the best interests of the club at heart, and will be there long after some of the current crop of players have left.

I was there too yesterday , and got in to our end fine, the support was excellent, especially given the first half performance , and I'm sure that made a difference on the pitch

My daughter and her boy friend came down from South Shields, Phil's first club is Newcastle , but he's now also a latics fan , and says the atmosphere at these big games is better than he's experienced at St James'

#ktf

Edited by stevesidg

Barry

Barry, for heavens sake, I'm not telling you to do anything - nor am I telling you how to run a club - I'm sure you'll agree that after every loss there are many posters on here that profess to do a better job than you or know how to run a professional football club. Yeah, I know - I doubt they could do it either.

It would be interesting to find out what communications do occur between clubs before match day and I agree that I am ignorant to the day-to-day running of a football club, but I wasn't saying that I needed to be; merely commenting that there may be room for improvement in future fixtures of a similar nature. If you are happy with Oldham Athletic's input and full communication before Saturday, that's fine. To me, your statement read as though OAFC were putting as much distance between themselves and the issue as possible - maybe rightly so, although I also got an air of sanctimony. Almost a "phew, thank god we had nothing to do with that". I admit that sometimes emotion and true feeling is hard to convey on messageboards.

On another note, I also agree that OAFC's efficiency of the cup games was controlled excellently, however the game yesterday wasn't an all-ticket affair.

I appreciate your support, your posts and your replies - but don't assume that your posts are always going to be upboated, agreed with, or un-checked.

Thanks Rummy. Perhaps a slight misunderstanding.

To the contrary, the other members of the Board (club) fully appreciate my role when it comes to representing the fans and would expect me to further enquires when a large number of our fans were affected.

I am sorry if you got the impression that we may have taken somewhat of a smug position on the basis that ours was not the club involved. That is not the case.

We have to be careful how far down the line we go in questioning another clubs authority and planning and certainly when we question how that clubs safety officer may have been involved together with the level of police planning.

Of course if you take it too far it can have the effect of biting you on the bum.

I do however agree with you that in the process of planning by another club good liasion should exist by us co-operating with the home club with any information we may have. This occurred but the final decisions rest with the Home club as to whehter the game was all ticket and what restriction would apply. In doing so the decisions they made would be made after consultation with the Bury Police.

In the possible event of us playing Bury again in the near future, I expect nothing less to have only one turnstile open in the RRE and ensure we get 'Arthritis Alf' manning said solo turnstile. Make sure it's the rusty one too, that needs a good shove to let you in.

How do you like those apples, you black-pudding twats?

Even flashed my NASUWT members card, which the bouncer said 'Yeah, but the teacher in Green Street, was the biggest dick of the lot!'

That's been tickling me all day. I've got visions of you, Magic Mikey and Writer Up A Pole (especially Writer Up A Pole) running amok through Bury Precinct, past McDonald's and Poundland, randomly twatting people :grin:

That's been tickling me all day. I've got visions of you, Magic Mikey and Writer Up A Pole (especially Writer Up A Pole) running amok through Bury Precinct, past McDonald's and Poundland, randomly twatting people :grin:

I went round Bury market correcting grammatical errors, banana's FFS. Us NUT boys don't take any prisoners.

:boxer:

I went round Bury market correcting grammatical errors, banana's FFS. Us NUT boys don't take any prisoners.

:boxer:

"Us NUT boys don't take any prisoners"

should be

"We NUT boys..."

Us...don't take any prisoners.

We...don't take any prisoners.

It's not all about grocers' apostrophes y'know.

Hope someone has told orient that we'll be taking an army if we need a result on the final day...

There's plenty of room in the section they normally give us, which could be up to half a stand along the touchline. Still, Barry or another club official could usefully give Orient a bit of a heads-up.

If there's a lock-out, I suggest getting a carry out and randomly ringing the doorbells of those in the flats by the corner flag.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

There's plenty of room in the section they normally give is, which could be up to half a stand along the touchline. Still, Barry or another club official could usefully give Orient a bit of a heads-up.

If there's a lock-out, I suggest getting a carry out and randomly ringing the doorbells of those in the flats by the corner flag.

"...give is..." ... should that not be "...give us..." grammar boy!

:stupid:

I know people will think I'm being overly negative but this seems to me a token effort to be seen to represent the fans, whilst actually only really saying "It's got nowt to do with us!"

There won't be any inquest into what happened at Bury; what good would it do now?

Sure, if I'd had a ticket and been refused entry I'd be contacting BFC for a refund but that's all you'll get. Talk of taking them to court? Do you want to pay court fees to become another of their creditors?

"...give is..." ... should that not be "...give us..." grammar boy!

:stupid:

First law of Hansard pedantry. The person pointing out the mistake will make one themselves in short order. Besides, that's a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake. Different things.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

I know people will think I'm being overly negative but this seems to me a token effort to be seen to represent the fans, whilst actually only really saying "It's got nowt to do with us!"

There won't be any inquest into what happened at Bury; what good would it do now?

Sure, if I'd had a ticket and been refused entry I'd be contacting BFC for a refund but that's all you'll get. Talk of taking them to court? Do you want to pay court fees to become another of their creditors?

I dunno about taking Bury to court. My guess is they'll offer refunds for ticket holders who were locked out. Bet they insist on people turning up at the ground to get their money back.

First law of Hansard pedantry. The person pointing out the mistake will make one themselves in short order. Besides, that's a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake. Different things.

Grammatical mistake. Enjoy life in your glass house :)

Hi Barry.

At the excellent "meet the manager" event in the boardroom Simon went on the offensive, targeting some of the less agreeable comments on the messageboard.

It wasn't necessary. He had a receptive audience in front of him and an intelligent new manager who was just about to impress that grouping.

When you join the board of a football club fans will have a pop at you from time to time. Sometimes it will be justified, other times not. Sometimes it will be direct. Sometimes backhanded.

Just my view.

Prozac defused Corney's rant quite well.

:OASISscarf: