FANS AT BURY FOOTBALL CLUB

First of all congratulations to the team on a great win. Not the best performance, (second half better than first and some good substitutions) but a win that we deperately needed and worked hard for.

I often compliment our vocal away support but really ladies and gents you were terrific today . I know the players were really pleased and know that it helps them immensely.

The sound coming from that stand was something different. Take a pat on the back each and every one of you.

On a totally sour note can I apologise to all those fans who did not get in to see the game.

Let me say from the outset that totally responsibility for match day arrangement rests with the home club and it is up to them to make preparation with the local agencies and the police.

Having said that we are a responsible club that looks afters it fans (contrary to opinion in some quarters). I am often criticised for not supporting the fans but that is not correct. Wehn incidents occur such as this I do believe that it necessary for certain questions to be asked regarding the match day arrangements and the role of the home club and the police in a situation that did not allow a large number of fans to gain access.

There may be a perfectly good explanation as to the numbers expected, based on intellligence and arrangements made accordingly with safety in mind. Segregation of fans does not allow for last miunte arrangement to be made in many cases.

I am currently looking at the situation and hope that our win takes a little bit of the heat out of the disappointment.

Barry

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry, for fans who bought tickets and didn't get in this event will be particularly galling.

In my industry, when the customer doesn't get the expected service paid for they don't just get refunded they get compensated too.

While I'm loathed to hit another football club when they're struggling, Bury FC shouldn't just be handing back £19 to fans who'd paid for their tickets up front and then been refused admission. There should be additional payments for time wasted and travel costs too.

Any thoughts?

Edited by opinions4u

I am embarrassed by the complete shambles that occurred through no fault of ours. Had this occurred at Oldham I would obviously be looking at the preparations and arrangements.

How much money did they lose . Perhaps £10.000 plus.

The issue re compensation is difficult because unless identified at the time it would be difficult to address which fans were affected. Whether contract law has been broken I do not know because I have not seen Bury FC terms and coniditions of sale. Did they enter into a contract when they sold the ticket and by a fan not getting admission is he then subject to gaining damaages for lost time, travelling, inconvenience etc.

Interesting thought but taking a case to court would cost more than the damages you would get. Having said that you could apply for the costs in the case.

Not a course of action I would recommend but nevertheless interesting.

Barry

I am embarrassed by the complete shambles that occurred through no fault of ours. Had this occurred at Oldham I would obviously be looking at the preparations and arrangements.

How much money did they lose . Perhaps £10.000 plus.

The issue re compensation is difficult because unless identified at the time it would be difficult to address which fans were affected. Whether contract law has been broken I do not know because I have not seen Bury FC terms and coniditions of sale. Did they enter into a contract when they sold the ticket and by a fan not getting admission is he then subject to gaining damaages for lost time, travelling, inconvenience etc.

Interesting thought but taking a case to court would cost more than the damages you would get. Having said that you could apply for the costs in the case.

Not a course of action I would recommend but nevertheless interesting.

Barry

I don't like these posts, they are far too complicated to read and smell of intelligence..... :coffee1:

You can't sell someone a ticket to a game even if through an agent and then deny access. It is without doubt clear negligence. Simple matter, how many seats are there? How many tickets have been sold? How many more tickets can we sell on the gate?

And what a stand that is! 2,100 seats with one point of sale! It is no wonder they are going bust. Thrown away ticket sales and refreshment sales during the game. A shambles. Why is league 1 and 2 football characterised by a lack of business sense?

Sue them if they don't pay up.

One of the Bury director's was interviewed on Radio Manchester before kick off and said there's a few potential investors who are genuine Bury fans that have been in negotiations with the club over the last couple of days and whilst nothing is signed yet, he says things are looking more positive...

Gary and Phil Neville?

One of the Bury director's was interviewed on Radio Manchester before kick off and said there's a few potential investors who are genuine Bury fans that have been in negotiations with the club over the last couple of days and whilst nothing is signed yet, he says things are looking more positive...

Gary and Phil Neville?

Possibly, my neighbour is a Bury fan, has given them money in the past and can afford to buy them out, as he won euro millions.

Gary and Phil Neville?

I am sure any potential investors there today will be confident that their investment will be safe within this superbly managed business.

Edit: got there and their wrong. I have given myself 100 lines (writing not drugs)

Edited by Magic Mikey

Positives from today:

- We won

- We have awesome support

- While people accuse us of being unprofessional, we're no where near as bad as Bury.

As one of those locked out, had a cracking day anyway! Good to hear some old classic songs aired, amongst those turned away, in the Swan and Cemetery.

I am sure any potential investors there today will be confident that there investment will be safe within this superbly managed business.

Superb way to showcase such a well run buisness. What did they say - a £100K investment would see a return on investment? After that, you'd really trust them to deliver on that wouldnt you?

What happened this afternoon was shambolic from Bury FC. No other blame can be placed elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know how many tickets Latics sold for the match. When I arrived at the ground (around 2-10) there was a queue of about 40 fans wanting to pay cash. There was no queue at the ticket only turnstiles. There were also a good few hundred already inside.

Is it possible that because of a low ticket take-up Bury were panicked into pushing a pay-on-the-day policy, thus persuading fans to make that choice? Even on OWTB during the last few days there have been wild variations of how many fans would be going.

To many fans, paying on the day is attractive because of the logistics of getting a ticket or not wanting to commit to attending. It seems as though that's what most chose to do

With the Bury share of the gate hardly likely to be more than 4,000 a plan B for Oldham fans should have been considered. And by the hundred or so Bury fans in the East Stand that would have been an obvious choice.

Our traditionally above average away support and importance of the game should have indicated that this game should have been ALL TICKET FOR AWAY FANS, and even sold at BP on Saturday morning if there were any left for those.

Hind sight is a wonderful tool though.

Positives from today:

- We won

- We have awesome support

- While people accuse us of being unprofessional, we're no where near as bad as Bury.

As one of those locked out, had a cracking day anyway! Good to hear some old classic songs aired, amongst those turned away, in the Swan and Cemetery.

Actually a decent crack in the Swan.....could have been a alot worse had there been nowhere nearby to go after being turned away.

Oh..

Nice to meet you today Joe by the way!

There may be a perfectly good explanation as to the numbers expected, based on intellligence and arrangements made accordingly with safety in mind. Segregation of fans does not allow for last miunte arrangement to be made in many cases.

I am currently looking at the situation and hope that our win takes a little bit of the heat out of the disappointment.

Barry

Apologies for cutting a lot of your post (my post is long enough as it is) but I'd like to take issue with the point I've left. (I've no problem with the rest of it and would echo those sentiments).

When a similar situation happened in 2002, I was one of roughly a thousand or so Oldham fans still outside the ground at the scheduled kick off time, because the away end was full. The kick off was delayed for around 30 minutes as the police moved some Bury fans and let Oldham fans into the section of the main stand nearest the away end. Why was this, a fairly simple and logical solution to the problem, not done today? Especially as that reduced the problem we saw today after we scored where there was a significant altercation in that exact section of the ground.

We sold 1000+ tickets (some of whom didn't get in) prior to the match. It is fairly obvious from the statement on the official website that the club expected that number again to turn up paying on the day. Bury, GMP and the club had 22 hours to see that a stand holding 2100 fans might not be enough. If those organisations can't alter things in that sort of time then quite frankly they don't deserve to be put in that position again. OAFC are the least culpable. Furthermore the statements from GMP and Bury today are eerily reminiscent of those trotted out after a very tragic day 24 years ago this weekend. Both blaming each other without admitting their own faults. Plus blaming our fans for daring to turn up to a crucial football match. 

Given that we had 1600 fans at last seasons game at Gigg, when that was a meaningless end of season game. Why did intelligence suggest we wouldn't take what we did today for a crucial relegation clash? 500 fans is not a lot especially after all the rallying calls on the clubs website and through social media (both official and the staffs personal accounts). Something drastically went wrong today and no one who could change it could cope. That is very worrying. Fortunately today was just a football match in an all seater stadium, I dread to think the circumstances if it had been something more crucial.

Actually a decent crack in the Swan.....could have been a alot worse had there been nowhere nearby to go after being turned away.

Oh..

Nice to meet you today Joe by the way!

Ah! Good to meet you too! Hope managed to get a pint in the end!!

It would be interesting to know how many tickets Latics sold for the match. When I arrived at the ground (around 2-10) there was a queue of about 40 fans wanting to pay cash. There was no queue at the ticket only turnstiles. There were also a good few hundred already inside.

Is it possible that because of a low ticket take-up Bury were panicked into pushing a pay-on-the-day policy, thus persuading fans to make that choice? Even on OWTB during the last few days there have been wild variations of how many fans would be going.

To many fans, paying on the day is attractive because of the logistics of getting a ticket or not wanting to commit to attending. It seems as though that's what most chose to do

With the Bury share of the gate hardly likely to be more than 4,000 a plan B for Oldham fans should have been considered. And by the hundred or so Bury fans in the East Stand that would have been an obvious choice.

Our traditionally above average away support and importance of the game should have indicated that this game should have been ALL TICKET FOR AWAY FANS, and even sold at BP on Saturday morning if there were any left, for those for whom it was more convenient.

Closing the gates for those with tickets is not on. They should, at the very least, have known how many tickets were sold and closed the cash turnstiles when the aggregate was close to being reached.

Hind sight is a wonderful tool though.

Dads and Lads turn up to watch the game,

Lads go in their turnstyle - no queue - and get in

Dads go in their turnstyle - massive queue - Don't get in.

Police and Stewards don't care and their reply was " you are not a responsible parent letting your child in on their own"

Tell me ;- Is there a turnstyle where both dad n lad can get in together - NO

Absolutely pathetic.

Police and Stewards don't care and their reply was " you are not a responsible parent letting your child in on their own"

Absolutely pathetic.

OMG that is appalling.

Absolutely pathetic.

What a ridiculous situation. This is the level of common sense you get from a lot of the police force though unfortunately as I also found out today.

That's why we had to go into the Main Stand with the Bury fans

6 dads in Bury's Main Stand,

6 children in Oldham end.

what a joke, I asked a steward when we arrived into Bury stand if we could go in away end, he said No its full, even though he knew our children where in there un-supervised, so you want us to stay in with the Bury fans, but that might get messy if we score, sure enough we did score, it got messy and guess what, the police n stewards came and put us in the away end. Work that one out ...

Absolutely pathetic.

I took my little girl to the 12 quid turnstile and to my surprise the bloke behind the counter asked if i was going in too! So i gave him 31 notes and in we both went.