My "Kids" Rant

I'm really tired of this scapegoat. It's always the "kids." Not long ago, I was one of those "kids" watching the likes of Neil Kilkenny and Lewis Alessandra slot in the odd goal between their on and off stints. My last year of being one enabled me to get a season ticket for a nice 50 pound, which seemed more than reasonable. But now I'm older, I dislike shaving every other day and I have to fork out 20 pound a week.

Let's start at the beginning: Latics has a large following of young supporters which attend the home games week-in, week-out. They are the next generation of people who will go to watch Oldham and grow up to be the likes of the well-known on here. They'll be the fans who are "proper" fans - not just the odd Oldham favourer. Now their lives will consist of good football outside of Boundary Park, as it did for me. Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Messi, Van Persie, the Champions League, etc.. Today their football world is the biggest and brightest spark in the match box. It's pumped on steroids and fed to them through Sky or the FIFA game series.

A lot of fans seem to find their actions a bit too extreme or not worthy of Latics' standards. A lot of fans also don't mind it and find it great that we have an energetic, willing-to-sing following of young people. But when something goes balls-up, it always seems to land on their heads. Especially in terms of today's running on the pitch. They've now been handed this "vandal" label which will be "reviewed on CCTV" for simply running on the pitch. How many Latics fans would be able to say they never did it? I certainly ran on the pitch was younger and got to meet Chris Taylor in the process. It was all harmless fun in keeping up an age-old tradition. We caused no damage and neither did the large group who ran on today, so it seems. But they still receive this negative label and those complaining are so stupidly commenting like it would never have happened.

It happens every season!

No matter how many stewards you put there, kids will still run on, and for those saying what they should and shouldn't do it is just as much as their club as it is yours. Don't force what you believe on other people - especially those with a wild spirit for a wild club.

And this stupid stunt from the club is such a shamble that we should be laughing at it. They're now pretending that the 10 quid ST was a permanent move... What a load of bull:censored:! We should be blaming the club for this stupid act. It was just a punt to try and bring in more fans but, of course, those dangerous 14-year-olds need to be punished for stepping on the grass! If anything, we should now be poking fingers at the club showing how much they really care about the future of Latics. They moved it down clearly knowing this would happen. You have to remember that Oldham Athletic is a business and like any business it can pull quick ones. I wish we had a cup run which earned us around 1 mil to pay for such a fine... Oh wait!

The treatment they receive from stewards is also pathetic. When I went to watch the MK Dons match, it was almost shocking to see the drummer getting his drum taken off him just for drumming... And what made it worse that another fan was kicked out just for trying to intervene - nothing violent, nothing aggressive. Just reasoning with them. As for the police filming these 14-year-olds, is that REALLY what it's come to? Do they have to face being watched like a group of prisoners on their break? The biggest act they commit is that of standing up because they want make some :censored:ing noise. Without them, Boundary Park would be dead apart from the loyal people in the Chaddy or the Rocky Road heroes. How will treating fans like this encourage our already low attendances to nudge up a little?

Passions get high during games and expressing it is being clamped down on with each match that passes. The youngsters of today will not be the future of tomorrow if this carries on. The memories of being kicked out, told to sit down and having your drum taken away won't produce any more fans than it will enemies.

Man United and City are just a Sky channel away. It seems our club are handing them the :censored:ing remote.

Done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time, running on the pitch is harmless fun.

But there are also times like the Stockport fans hitting Kidderminster players and that Leeds fan hitting Kirkland. Sure there's been other incidents this season I can't quite remember.

That's why you can't go on the pitch

That pile of immature :censored:e doesn't really merit a reply. However I couldn't leave the line "don't force what you believe on other people". How goes the Ultras? Has the bloke with the flag got his car going yet?

Edited by Magic Mikey

I'm really tired of this scapegoat. It's always the "kids." Not long ago, I was one of those "kids" watching the likes of Neil Kilkenny and Lewis Alessandra slot in the odd goal between their on and off stints. My last year of being one enabled me to get a season ticket for a nice 50 pound, which seemed more than reasonable. But now I'm older, I dislike shaving every other day and I have to fork out 20 pound a week.

Let's start at the beginning: Latics has a large following of young supporters which attend the home games week-in, week-out. They are the next generation of people who will go to watch Oldham and grow up to be the likes of the well-known on here. They'll be the fans who are "proper" fans - not just the odd Oldham favourer. Now their lives will consist of good football outside of Boundary Park, as it did for me. Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Messi, Van Persie, the Champions League, etc.. Today their football world is the biggest and brightest spark in the match box. It's pumped on steroids and fed to them through Sky or the FIFA game series.

A lot of fans seem to find their actions a bit too extreme or not worthy of Latics' standards. A lot of fans also don't mind it and find it great that we have an energetic, willing-to-sing following of young people. But when something goes balls-up, it always seems to land on their heads. Especially in terms of today's running on the pitch. They've now been handed this "vandal" label which will be "reviewed on CCTV" for simply running on the pitch. How many Latics fans would be able to say they never did it? I certainly ran on the pitch was younger and got to meet Chris Taylor in the process. It was all harmless fun in keeping up an age-old tradition. We caused no damage and neither did the large group who ran on today, so it seems. But they still receive this negative label and those complaining are so stupidly commenting like it would never have happened.

It happens every season!

No matter how many stewards you put there, kids will still run on, and for those saying what they should and shouldn't do it is just as much as their club as it is yours. Don't force what you believe on other people - especially those with a wild spirit for a wild club.

And this stupid stunt from the club is such a shamble that we should be laughing at it. They're now pretending that the 10 quid ST was a permanent move... What a load of bull:censored:! We should be blaming the club for this stupid act. It was just a punt to try and bring in more fans but, of course, those dangerous 14-year-olds need to be punished for stepping on the grass! If anything, we should now be poking fingers at the club showing how much they really care about the future of Latics. They moved it down clearly knowing this would happen. You have to remember that Oldham Athletic is a business and like any business it can pull quick ones. I wish we had a cup run which earned us around 1 mil to pay for such a fine... Oh wait!

The treatment they receive from stewards is also pathetic. When I went to watch the MK Dons match, it was almost shocking to see the drummer getting his drum taken off him just for drumming... And what made it worse that another fan was kicked out just for trying to intervene - nothing violent, nothing aggressive. Just reasoning with them. As for the police filming these 14-year-olds, is that REALLY what it's come to? Do they have to face being watched like a group of prisoners on their break? The biggest act they commit is that of standing up because they want make some :censored:ing noise. Without them, Boundary Park would be dead apart from the loyal people in the Chaddy or the Rocky Road heroes. How will treating fans like this encourage our already low attendances to nudge up a little?

Passions get high during games and expressing it is being clamped down on with each match that passes. The youngsters of today will not be the future of tomorrow if this carries on. The memories of being kicked out, told to sit down and having your drum taken away won't produce any more fans than it will enemies.

Man United and City are just a Sky channel away. It seems our club are handing them the :censored:ing remote.

Done.

Act like knobs get treated like knobs.

Criticised the stewarding at Latics many a times, usually for enforcing sitting in the RRE middle section... However, they did their best today for the situation, especially when there wasn't many of them.

Whatever anyone says about the matter, the hard facts are that going on to the field of play is a criminal offence and can be prosecuted, if the powers that be chose to do so. It is wrong, especially when it is mid-game.

In my opinion, a pitch invasion at the end of the season, after the final whistle is normal and it happens every year - however, these 'kids' were knobs today and took it too far.

I'm kind of glad the £10 ST has been pulled because it will keep some of these t*ats away from Boundary Park.

It's comical that we offer £10 STs to kids then are shocked when they act like kids.

The kids were ultimately in the wrong for doing what they did but Latics putting so few stewards there was ridiculous. It was obvious there would be a pitch invasion before the game even started.

It's not the product of the £10 season ticket - it goes on everywhere and always has, it's the product of having more fans at the ground which Latics were not prepared enough to control.

To consider removing a generally successful scheme over an incident that was frankly completely predictable is mad.

To some extent I agree with alot of your points.

However it's not a case of "it happens every year" the game was not finished, imagine how you'd feel as an opposing fan, especially had you something to play for. It was a ridiculous thing to do as they could of happily done it a couple of minutes later. I booed the idiots.

Edited by Schlieb

It's comical that we offer £10 STs to kids then are shocked when they act like kids.

The kids were ultimately in the wrong for doing what they did but Latics putting so few stewards there was ridiculous. It was obvious there would be a pitch invasion before the game even started.

It's not the product of the £10 season ticket - it goes on everywhere and always has, it's the product of having more fans at the ground which Latics were not prepared enough to control.

To consider removing a generally successful scheme over an incident that was frankly completely predictable is mad.

Sucessful scheme?

A debatable subject and the results will be seen over the coming years.

Short Term, it can be seen as succesful as it had brought more kids through the gates, money wise, i don't know wether we've lost, broke even and made profit on these offers, that's one Barry could answer for us. However, there have been a number of incidents this season which suggest that it may have been a bad thing... The hair burning incident, Pitch invasion both on Tuesday and Today and then the CTFC supporters coach getting trashed. These incidents are unacceptable and should never happen at BP (Pitch invasion only when we win somat)

Long Term, yet to be seen, as early as August we'll see with the figures how many have stayed on for 5x the price, presuming it's going back up to £50.

It's not the product of the £10 season ticke - it goes on everywhere and always has, it's the product of having more fans at the ground which Latics were not prepared enough to control.

Why are people not understanding this?

We all know every year that last game of the season people enjoy a pitch invasion, however these idiots firstly did it against yeovil even though we weren't even safe and then did it DURING a match!

It happens every season!

Done.

Please someone, send this guy a remote

Pathetic scenes. Epitomises the mindset of youngsters these days. Tuesday was bizarre when we weren't even safe AND today... Did it need Baxter et al. pleading with them at half time to respect the club and the authority figures?! I'm 28 and supports

Edited by eyres_28

Why are people not understanding this?

We all know every year that last game of the season people enjoy a pitch invasion, however these idiots firstly did it against yeovil even though we weren't even safe and then did it DURING a match!

BECAUSE THEY'RE KIDS, IT'S WHAT THEY DO! Whether you like it or not, that is society now.

Do you think it would be different anywhere else in the country if there were so few stewards to control it?

Kids in Oldham are the same as kids in Portsmouth, Hartlepool, Doncaster etc.

It's about controlling them properly which other clubs clearly do better than we did!

Note: I don't condone it. I was booing them to get them off but was shocked at how few stewards there was.

Edited by NewBlue

I wanted the kids off, but to be fair agree with the majority of the original post.

If the club get fined then I'll be angry, but the reason for it would be that they went on against Yeovil too, not just today's incursion. I disagree with them going in while the game was in play, but it does happen every year so some people in here should just chill out and stop being so soft.

Sad thing is that these straitened times see us on the pitch for Yeovil and Crawley...

As someone in the similar boat as you in terms of age, I understand where you're coming from. However, if idiots are going to go on the pitch despite repeatedly being told not to, regardless of age, and the club wants to ban them then I'm behind them. I wouldn't put the ST price up just as a result of this but I reckon its going up anyway. The £10 season ticket was to entice younger fans, if new fans have genuinely been brought in, they'll pay an extra 40 odd quid for a season ticket next year when the price goes up.

On the Crawley coach issue, if it was indeed Oldham "fans" they need banning for life. What the hell do we have against Crawley that would make it even slightly comprehendable in the uneducated minds of some people to attack a coach full of away fans?! I'm staggered, at what point does that become a good idea or something "fun" to do? Beyond moronic

BECAUSE THEY'RE KIDS, IT'S WHAT THEY DO! Whether you like it or not, that is society now.

Do you think it would be different anywhere else in the country if there were so few stewards to control it?

It's about controlling them properly which other clubs clearly do better than we did!

I'm 24, it wasn't long ago that I was their age, not once would I of thought it a good idea to run on the pitch when we wasn't even safe, nor would I when a game was being played. Saying their "just kids and it's what they do" is bull:censored:.

Did you run on the pitch during a game when you were young?

Sucessful scheme?

A debatable subject and the results will be seen over the coming years.

Short Term, it can be seen as succesful as it had brought more kids through the gates, money wise, i don't know wether we've lost, broke even and made profit on these offers, that's one Barry could answer for us. However, there have been a number of incidents this season which suggest that it may have been a bad thing... The hair burning incident, Pitch invasion both on Tuesday and Today and then the CTFC supporters coach getting trashed. These incidents are unacceptable and should never happen at BP (Pitch invasion only when we win somat)

Long Term, yet to be seen, as early as August we'll see with the figures how many have stayed on for 5x the price, presuming it's going back up to £50.

has it been a bad thing!!!30-40 numptys out of 1500 st sales??Bell ends like you spoil a good thing for the rest of under 16,I and many others take their kids with this great offer of £10,long may it continue for the next generation of latics fans...

Note: I don't condone it. I was booing them to get them off but was shocked at how few stewards there was.

Kids don't behave like that everywhere. Not even the ones who behave like that in some places. The question is whether Latics becomes a place where they are allowed to do whatever the hell they want or whether they learn to follow some basic rules. It might even benefit them in the rest of their lives if they do.

has it been a bad thing!!!30-40 numptys out of 1500 st sales??Bell ends like you spoil a good thing for the rest of under 16,I and many others take their kids with this great offer of £10,long may it continue for the next generation of latics fans...

Calling him a bellend for making a reasoned argument? Really?

I'm 24, it wasn't long ago that I was their age, not once would I of thought it a good idea to run on the pitch when we wasn't even safe, nor would I when a game was being played. Saying their "just kids and it's what they do" is bull:censored:.

Did you run on the pitch during a game when you were young?

I'm 17. I didn't run on the pitch today, obviously.

They were stupid to do it and none of my mates ran on either but the club should know that kids will do it.

It's not the fault of the £10 ticket, the club should've expected and dealt with it better than they did.

The fact is that you can't do anything about who comes, there were loads of people who have been ST holders before the £10 ticket that invaded the pitch, but you can do something about controlling those that turn up and that wasn't effective enough.

As someone who's 28 (nearly) I'm sure we've all done things that other people have found :censored:ing annoying, I know for a fact I've done stuff like that. It's basically how kids of this era behave now. I know they wasn't right to do it but the club has to shoulder some of the blame for this.

Basically attitudes change and this is the way society is going