My "Kids" Rant

Calling him a bellend for making a reasoned argument? Really?

is it a reasoned argument??For giving the club ideas for getting rid of the £10 ST,Because of a minority..I would say so.. Edited by oafc21

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really tired of this scapegoat. It's always the "kids." Not long ago, I was one of those "kids" watching the likes of Neil Kilkenny and Lewis Alessandra slot in the odd goal between their on and off stints. My last year of being one enabled me to get a season ticket for a nice 50 pound, which seemed more than reasonable. But now I'm older, I dislike shaving every other day and I have to fork out 20 pound a week.

Let's start at the beginning: Latics has a large following of young supporters which attend the home games week-in, week-out. They are the next generation of people who will go to watch Oldham and grow up to be the likes of the well-known on here. They'll be the fans who are "proper" fans - not just the odd Oldham favourer. Now their lives will consist of good football outside of Boundary Park, as it did for me. Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Messi, Van Persie, the Champions League, etc.. Today their football world is the biggest and brightest spark in the match box. It's pumped on steroids and fed to them through Sky or the FIFA game series.

A lot of fans seem to find their actions a bit too extreme or not worthy of Latics' standards. A lot of fans also don't mind it and find it great that we have an energetic, willing-to-sing following of young people. But when something goes balls-up, it always seems to land on their heads. Especially in terms of today's running on the pitch. They've now been handed this "vandal" label which will be "reviewed on CCTV" for simply running on the pitch. How many Latics fans would be able to say they never did it? I certainly ran on the pitch was younger and got to meet Chris Taylor in the process. It was all harmless fun in keeping up an age-old tradition. We caused no damage and neither did the large group who ran on today, so it seems. But they still receive this negative label and those complaining are so stupidly commenting like it would never have happened.

It happens every season!

No matter how many stewards you put there, kids will still run on, and for those saying what they should and shouldn't do it is just as much as their club as it is yours. Don't force what you believe on other people - especially those with a wild spirit for a wild club.

And this stupid stunt from the club is such a shamble that we should be laughing at it. They're now pretending that the 10 quid ST was a permanent move... What a load of bull:censored:! We should be blaming the club for this stupid act. It was just a punt to try and bring in more fans but, of course, those dangerous 14-year-olds need to be punished for stepping on the grass! If anything, we should now be poking fingers at the club showing how much they really care about the future of Latics. They moved it down clearly knowing this would happen. You have to remember that Oldham Athletic is a business and like any business it can pull quick ones. I wish we had a cup run which earned us around 1 mil to pay for such a fine... Oh wait!

The treatment they receive from stewards is also pathetic. When I went to watch the MK Dons match, it was almost shocking to see the drummer getting his drum taken off him just for drumming... And what made it worse that another fan was kicked out just for trying to intervene - nothing violent, nothing aggressive. Just reasoning with them. As for the police filming these 14-year-olds, is that REALLY what it's come to? Do they have to face being watched like a group of prisoners on their break? The biggest act they commit is that of standing up because they want make some :censored:ing noise. Without them, Boundary Park would be dead apart from the loyal people in the Chaddy or the Rocky Road heroes. How will treating fans like this encourage our already low attendances to nudge up a little?

Passions get high during games and expressing it is being clamped down on with each match that passes. The youngsters of today will not be the future of tomorrow if this carries on. The memories of being kicked out, told to sit down and having your drum taken away won't produce any more fans than it will enemies.

Man United and City are just a Sky channel away. It seems our club are handing them the :censored:ing remote.

Done.

You're such a free spirit, mate.

There is a difference between genuine young fans running on in a moment true footballing emotion (Redfearn's penalty) and the One Direction fan club egging each other on to see who will be the next one to "break the rules" by encroaching onto the pitch. I do not believe that these kids are fans I'm afraid; they don't seem to take a lot of interest in the game in progress, more concerned with mooching around the stairs.

Remember this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxjsS-S2Gbw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That kid was 17, not much older (if at all due to age cut off points) than those eligible for our £10 ST. He thought it would be funny to enter the field of play too. The lad that punched Kirkland was 21 but he had already been subject to 2 banning orders, so I wouldn't be surprised of he got one in his teens. I was at the game at Port Vale after lot of our banning orders had finished, some of that lot didn't look 18 so must have been banned at even younger (again possibly still eligible for our £10 ST, if we had them then).

Football hooligans don't just start at 17/18 they get into that sort of thing at a younger age. That is why the cops were right IMHO to film them at previous games. Especially considering the trouble the stewards had at other games this season.

That is why a lot of the older members of this forum and various Oldham related social media sites have been rightly quick to condemn the actions of a minority of under age "fans". I don't remember fans invading the pitch at the end of season when we got beat 2-5 by City. I don't remember it when we were first in this division, aside from the day we stayed up as City beat York. When exactly did this tradition start, if the OP can't remember then maybe it isn't a tradition. I certainly don't remember the fans invading the pitch whilst the game was still on aside from that one episode when Alessandra scored at the CRE. That again was because it was near the end of a game as fans were looking for the "traditional" end of season pitch invasion. I'd ask the OP whether he was even at the game because his post certainly makes it look as if he wasn't? It's actually pretty galling to read that post if he was at the game, nevermind not being so.

Don't think running on the pitch at the end of the season (unless we've won something) is an age old tradition. I'm 30 now and I don't remember it happening when I was a kid.

I remember it used to happen all the time, first 3 years we stayed up in the old division 2 after Frizzel got us promotion was always a massive pitch invasion and gathering around the tunnel to chant for the players to come out and wave. It tapered off in the years following but it still happened even after the high fences went up.

I'm really tired of this scapegoat. It's always the "kids." Not long ago, I was one of those "kids" watching the likes of Neil Kilkenny and Lewis Alessandra slot in the odd goal between their on and off stints. My last year of being one enabled me to get a season ticket for a nice 50 pound, which seemed more than reasonable. But now I'm older, I dislike shaving every other day and I have to fork out 20 pound a week.

Let's start at the beginning: Latics has a large following of young supporters which attend the home games week-in, week-out. They are the next generation of people who will go to watch Oldham and grow up to be the likes of the well-known on here. They'll be the fans who are "proper" fans - not just the odd Oldham favourer. Now their lives will consist of good football outside of Boundary Park, as it did for me. Real Madrid, Manchester United, Manchester City, Messi, Van Persie, the Champions League, etc.. Today their football world is the biggest and brightest spark in the match box. It's pumped on steroids and fed to them through Sky or the FIFA game series.

A lot of fans seem to find their actions a bit too extreme or not worthy of Latics' standards. A lot of fans also don't mind it and find it great that we have an energetic, willing-to-sing following of young people. But when something goes balls-up, it always seems to land on their heads. Especially in terms of today's running on the pitch. They've now been handed this "vandal" label which will be "reviewed on CCTV" for simply running on the pitch. How many Latics fans would be able to say they never did it? I certainly ran on the pitch was younger and got to meet Chris Taylor in the process. It was all harmless fun in keeping up an age-old tradition. We caused no damage and neither did the large group who ran on today, so it seems. But they still receive this negative label and those complaining are so stupidly commenting like it would never have happened.

It happens every season!

No matter how many stewards you put there, kids will still run on, and for those saying what they should and shouldn't do it is just as much as their club as it is yours. Don't force what you believe on other people - especially those with a wild spirit for a wild club.

And this stupid stunt from the club is such a shamble that we should be laughing at it. They're now pretending that the 10 quid ST was a permanent move... What a load of bull:censored:! We should be blaming the club for this stupid act. It was just a punt to try and bring in more fans but, of course, those dangerous 14-year-olds need to be punished for stepping on the grass! If anything, we should now be poking fingers at the club showing how much they really care about the future of Latics. They moved it down clearly knowing this would happen. You have to remember that Oldham Athletic is a business and like any business it can pull quick ones. I wish we had a cup run which earned us around 1 mil to pay for such a fine... Oh wait!

The treatment they receive from stewards is also pathetic. When I went to watch the MK Dons match, it was almost shocking to see the drummer getting his drum taken off him just for drumming... And what made it worse that another fan was kicked out just for trying to intervene - nothing violent, nothing aggressive. Just reasoning with them. As for the police filming these 14-year-olds, is that REALLY what it's come to? Do they have to face being watched like a group of prisoners on their break? The biggest act they commit is that of standing up because they want make some :censored:ing noise. Without them, Boundary Park would be dead apart from the loyal people in the Chaddy or the Rocky Road heroes. How will treating fans like this encourage our already low attendances to nudge up a little?

Passions get high during games and expressing it is being clamped down on with each match that passes. The youngsters of today will not be the future of tomorrow if this carries on. The memories of being kicked out, told to sit down and having your drum taken away won't produce any more fans than it will enemies.

Man United and City are just a Sky channel away. It seems our club are handing them the :censored:ing remote.

Done.

after match invasion great, invasion just cause we scored a goal stupid.

As I recall there is a tradition of going on the pitch on the final home game. Can't quite remember how that went during the years of fences mind you.

There's another tradition. When the youngsters run on the pitch, they get called bellends and idiots by old farts like me. When they grow up, they in their turn will call people young enough to be their children bellends and idiots for running on the pitch. And so on.

I agree with German Latic. There's no need for the club instantly to connect a pitch invasion with £10 ST holders. That really is stupid. It was the biggest league crowd of the season at BP no? Plenty of worthier suspects if you're into rounding people up to condemn them. I'll start with Man U and Citeh blow-ins.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

It's funny, I was talking to a Leeds fan at work about the old days and some of the more nawty escapades, and how the FYC, a firm that struck fear into the hearts of literally, er, some people, has been replaced by what most fans refer to as The Creche.

Seriously, there's a really difficult line to tread, between stomping on the embarrassing nonsense that happens when a couple of dozen brain dead 14 year old chavs get together, and nurturing the future support of the club.

He clearly wasn't at the game, in other posts he says the invasion was at the end of the game, which didn't happen. But let's not let the facts get in the way of another opportunity to have a go at the stewards or condone the actions of these scroats because they sing.

Cue another downboating from Rummy.

I'm really tired of this scapegoat. It's always the "kids."

Not all of those that ran on the pitch were kids. But anybody watching knows that the bulk were. No point suggesting otherwise.

Step back a generation. Pitch invasions can turn into something much nastier.

A lot of fans seem to find their actions a bit too extreme or not worthy of Latics' standards. A lot of fans also don't mind it

I mind it. The vast majority mind it. You've got the "Latics For Life" collection totally undermined by these arseholes. You've got the £3,000 my PlayerShare WebShop efforts have pulled in over two years about to be (indirectly) pissed away in a fine.

and find it great that we have an energetic, willing-to-sing following of young people. But when something goes balls-up, it always seems to land on their heads. Especially in terms of today's running on the pitch. They've now been handed this "vandal" label which will be "reviewed on CCTV" for simply running on the pitch.

Identify them. Warn them or ban them, depending on what they did. What's wrong with that? Make a noise in the stands is fine. Interrupting the game isn't. Personal :censored:ing responsibility for their actions and an understanding of the impact on others is a good starting point.

Nobody's talking about birching those who behave like thoughtless little (or big) :censored:s but I can see a case for it.

How many Latics fans would be able to say they never did it? I certainly ran on the pitch was younger and got to meet Chris Taylor in the process. It was all harmless fun in keeping up an age-old tradition.

After a match? Yes. During the game? No. Hours after the club got threatened with FA sanctions? No.

You'd never do that, would you?

And this stupid stunt from the club is such a shamble that we should be laughing at it. They're now pretending that the 10 quid ST was a permanent move... What a load of bull:censored:! We should be blaming the club for this stupid act. It was just a punt to try and bring in more fans but, of course, those dangerous 14-year-olds need to be punished for stepping on the grass!

They got £7k out of those punters. :censored:ed away on fines, irritation to other supporters, probably increased stewarding costs too. I thought it was a brilliant initiative. Your post and high point of tolerance of what happened during the game against Crawley proves otherwise.

Attract more responsible fans, I'm all for that. Attract fans who want to create an atmosphere? Fine. Attract fans willing to stop the game - you can :censored: those right off. Whether they're paying £20 a match, £5 a match or £10 a season. Don't want them.

If anything, we should now be poking fingers at the club showing how much they really care about the future of Latics. They moved it down clearly knowing this would happen. You have to remember that Oldham Athletic is a business and like any business it can pull quick ones. I wish we had a cup run which earned us around 1 mil to pay for such a fine... Oh wait!

I'd rather they pissed away that money on something more useful to be honest.

The treatment they receive from stewards is also pathetic.

You reap what you sow.

Without them, Boundary Park would be dead

With them, Boundary Park will end up closed.

24 years ago to the week 96 fans died because :censored:s of various ages had developed a habit of fighting on the pitch during games. The solution was fences. Combined with a monumental police :censored: up those fences killed people at Hillsborough.

The Taylor Report, IIRC, recommended the removal of fences and trusting the football fan. I don't want that recommendation being reversed. You're a supporter of ringing back the terraces. :censored: like yesterday undermines the case.

Final word from me. My lad, a 15 year old, was ball boy at the RRE yesterday. None of the :censored:s who went over the barriers gave the slightest consideration for his safety.

Your post is a load of bollocks. It accepts stupidity. I don't.

Edited by opinions4u

Did anybody that posts in here go on the pitch against Sheff Wednesday in 1991? Three pitch invasions during the game then. One of them for scoring a goal when we were losing 2-0. How silly.

I also recall some people on the pitch after Liverpool this season - not all of them kids.

Shouldn't have happened in 1991, shouldn't have happened then and shouldn't have happened yesterday but try and apply a bit of perspective. They're kids acting in a way they shouldn't but they didn't start scrapping or smashing things up as far as I know. Talk of pricing them out of attending is an odd way to encourage a fan base.

I didn't go on the pitch against Sheffield Wednesday in 1991, I was stood in a kind of serene trance watching the chaos all about me.

I did go on the pitch at Ipswich in 1991 - I was one of several holding Ian Marshall aloft (he's heavier than he looks).

What yesterday's kids didn't care to appreciate is how important it is not to encroach before the final whistle. I know they were caught up in the moment, couldn't wait to get on and all that, but if they'd just waited until the ref blew up then instead of talking about them we might be talking about planning for another season in League One.

Did anybody that posts in here go on the pitch against Sheff Wednesday in 1991? Three pitch invasions during the game then. One of them for scoring a goal when we were losing 2-0. How silly.

I also recall some people on the pitch after Liverpool this season - not all of them kids.

Shouldn't have happened in 1991, shouldn't have happened then and shouldn't have happened yesterday but try and apply a bit of perspective. They're kids acting in a way they shouldn't but they didn't start scrapping or smashing things up as far as I know. Talk of pricing them out of attending is an odd way to encourage a fan base.

I don't think it's fair to compare an incredible 3 goal turnaround in the last few minutes to give you the Championship (as is) title, to a meaningless goal at the end of an abysmal home league season.

I vote on content if I feel bothered enough to do so - sometimes ironically, I certainly do not rate the individual. I urge others to do the same.

I rarely downboat, I didn't do so to the OP which O4U eloquently picked apart, something I couldn't be arsed to attempt at quarter to twelve last night. I did inflict one on you on another thread out of childish petty revenge. I just thought the second one for a single word question was a bit harsh.

I don't think it's fair to compare an incredible 3 goal turnaround in the last few minutes to give you the Championship (as is) title, to a meaningless goal at the end of an abysmal home league season.

It's all realtive. We're not pushing for the Championship title. We were trying to get enough points to stay up and did so with the help of a last minute winner. Yes, they were getting ready to come on at the end of the match anyway but some got carried away and did something they shouldn't,

They were wrong to but like it or not, it's important that the kids continue to be encouraged to turn up and enjoy local live football.

I am sure that the Club tried to monitor the sale of £10 junior season tickets but I would not be

suprised to learn that it had been abused

Not down to me but a two tier season ticket

Primary school students £10

Secondary school £50

and while on the subject full time college students to be encouraged to take advantage of the Student Card Scheme

as im 16, i got the benefit of the £10 season ticket this year.. previously paying £50 for the last 10 years - now my little brother has been coming along since he was 7 now 10 he's also benefitting from £10 - i don't run on the pitch and don't let my little brother (apart from lievrpool and city) don't see why my little brother should have to fork out 50 next season because of the minority who ruin it! stewards really do not help though, can not stand what they do at times!!!

I am sure that the Club tried to monitor the sale of £10 junior season tickets but I would not be

Secondary school £50

and while on the subject full time college students to be encouraged to take advantage of the Student Card Scheme

They should just allow people to use student cards. I have always remembered pitch invaisions in recent years i have not been to bothered unless it was something big such as beating Man City, Liverpool.

Fact some fans did it against Yeovil generated the warning then before the game had ended. Atleast none went back on after the final whistle and fans in the Chaddy shouting off off off to them.

I think the £10 season ticket for juniors was a good incentive but does not need to be scrapped but reviewed. Some people say kids get it with a full paying adult which is good but what about the kids who's parents wont take them?

Personally i limit to one section of the ground however if your sat alongside an adult be able to exchange it. Sadly in the small singers group in the rocky you have the kids who do want sing and generate an atmopshere but also you got the ones who have watched the football factory to many times. Hence why stewards most you come from an agency will be heavy handed.

Most the stewards i talk to have a laugh and joke.

Secondary school £50

i agree with the primary/secondary bit!!!!

The buy a £10 st alongside an adult is a non starter from the word go- both sets of parents might not like football full stop, mine didn't! £10 has attracted all sorts this season, it is the way forward but the price does require, you've got to try and retain those £10'ers season after season and not just this season, I'd say £25 is a reasonable price, for a present, which is what we did for our 3 nephews. Don't let the few cockends spoil it for the rest.

Does no one remember the scene when Neil Redfern scored the penalty that won us the title against Sheff Wed plenty run on the pitch that day and the match had not finished then either I bet plenty who was on the pitch that day are the ones who are moaning now about kids being kids as for the incident with the coach windows don't blame all the kids for the actions of a few idiots

Does no one remember the scene when Neil Redfern scored the penalty that won us the title against Sheff Wed plenty run on the pitch that day and the match had not finished then either I bet plenty who was on the pitch that day are the ones who are moaning now about kids being kids as for the incident with the coach windows don't blame all the kids for the actions of a few idiots

As has been stated enough times already. We didn't just win promotion to the top division with a last minute penalty coming back from 2 goals down. We scored a last minute goal that was completely irrelevant as 1-1 already meant we were going to stay up. The 2 events aren't comparable, this was just mindless.

The buy a £10 st alongside an adult is a non starter from the word go- both sets of parents might not like football full stop, mine didn't! £10 has attracted all sorts this season, it is the way forward but the price does require, you've got to try and retain those £10'ers season after season and not just this season, I'd say £25 is a reasonable price, for a present, which is what we did for our 3 nephews. Don't let the few cockends spoil it for the rest.

£50 is bloody good value. Just over £2 a game. It would, by and large, be enough not to price out those who have taken advantage of the £10 offer and got the bug but will do enough to get some of those who just turn up to try and cause bother to go elsewhere.