tonights team

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130423-matchreport-789329.aspx?pd=635023603860000000

According to the fishal Barnard and Smith both picked up knocks on Saturday and Mellor was rested. He gave 2 youngsters their debuts and Byrne was fit again.

Sometimes the naming in the squad of a player who is injured can be a bit frustrating, but I understand completely why it is done. If those that travelled knew that it was going to be a weaker side would they still have travelled? In the majority of cases I would think yes, especially as most probably didn't think we would be safe now and booked their travel a bit ago.

http://mobile.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20130423-matchreport-789329.aspx?pd=635023603860000000

According to the fishal Barnard and Smith both picked up knocks on Saturday and Mellor was rested. He gave 2 youngsters their debuts and Byrne was fit again.

Sometimes the naming in the squad of a player who is injured can be a bit frustrating, but I understand completely why it is done. If those that travelled knew that it was going to be a weaker side would they still have travelled? In the majority of cases I would think yes, especially as most probably didn't think we would be safe now and booked their travel a bit ago.

I wished I'd gone when I saw the team sheet

I know there are other criteria as well, but surely the most important objective, and one never to lose sight of, is to try to win the game and finish the season as high up the table as is possible?

The most important objective was to to stay up and to build for next year. Playing people who we wont see next year and finishing 15th wouldn't be as beneficial in my opinion as losing both games and seeing what some others are made of.

Don't forget how many games we have played recently.

Edited by pukka

I know there are other criteria as well, but surely the most important objective, and one never to lose sight of, is to try to win the game and finish the season as high up the table as is possible?

For me a more important objective is to help us finish as high up the table next season as possible. To do that we need to know if the players we have are good enough or should be replaced, including the youngsters.

It was good to see a few of the young lads being given a chance, and I think for the most part they did well. The senior pros were a disappointment though - Cisak probably should have done better with the free kick (although haven't yet seen it again) and he didn't look overly confident coming out for the ball or kicking it. Byrne was ok but a couple of times JYM was isolated as the last man - not sure where cliff was. M'voto was a bit sloppy, caught in possession a couple of times. Monty started off brightly on the wing, but has proved he isn't a full back. Croft was decent first half, anonymous second. Baxter tried a few things but him and Kirk were too easily pushed off the ball. Simpson was woeful again.

I'm not sure playing in 1 or 2 meaningless games at the end of the season is really all that definitive on that. Especially as quite a few of tonight's players are contracted to the end of next season (minimum) anyway.

As you say meaningless games so what's the problem in giving the squad players a run out and more experience even if they do stay?

Agree with all the above and I'm not even suggesting that sacrifices were made at Shrewsbury, - I wasn't present.

My points are ethical -

- Any team imbued with the 'win' ethos is half way to being successful. Using competitive matches for trial and error selection experiments won't help to instil this instinct. Successful racing drivers, by their very temperament, find it very hard NOT to be competitive - whatever the stakes - and this is the drive that a manager should be looking to drill into players.

- Tactics which become strategy, which in turn lead to the fielding of weakened teams and the devaluing of certain matches / cup tournaments, are ultimately pernicious to football and fan alike.

Edited by piglinbland

Winning, as well as losing, is a habit.

We've had a season of mainly losing football matches.

Johnson was 8, now 9, games into his managerial career, for me he hasn't yet earned the right to be dicking about with team selection in league games that are there to be won.

Winning, as well as losing, is a habit.

We've had a season of mainly losing football matches.

Johnson was 8, now 9, games into his managerial career, for me he hasn't yet earned the right to be dicking about with team selection in league games that are there to be won.

The right? He's the manager, he has the right to do as he sees fit.

Win last night or give people a look over in a real game situation, the latter for me. We had 2 starting who started against crawley, if that was the case at the start of next season then I'd be bothered.

As you say meaningless games so what's the problem in giving the squad players a run out and more experience even if they do stay?

I have no problem with it, none at all, my point (which I perhaps didn't make as clear as I did in another thread) was that everyone has an off day. Giving some of our fringe players one (or two) chance(s) to demonstrate that they deserve a new contract is not all that fair. Especially as knowing they have one chance probably makes them more likely to have an off day due to the added pressure.

I have no problem with it, none at all, my point (which I perhaps didn't make as clear as I did in another thread) was that everyone has an off day. Giving some of our fringe players one (or two) chance(s) to demonstrate that they deserve a new contract is not all that fair. Especially as knowing they have one chance probably makes them more likely to have an off day due to the added pressure.

Perfectly fair in my book. That's what happens when players are given a trial and he also still has their performance / attitude in training to take into consideration. Pressure to perform is something that they would need to get used to and thrive on but if they can't handle a dead rubber away to Shrewsbury then surely they would be need to reassess their approach to games anyway.