Is this Dickov?

Hard working and enthusiastic....maybe, but is this the Paul Dickov we had at BP?

“He’s very organised, very hard-working, very enthusiastic and he has a knack of picking the right players in the right position.

“It was important the new manager fitted in with our philosophy and has the ability to improve players from where they are now,” he added. “That’s something that’ll be very important next season.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard working and enthusiastic....maybe, but is this the Paul Dickov we had at BP?

"He's very organised, very hard-working, very enthusiastic and he has a knack of picking the right players in the right position.

"It was important the new manager fitted in with our philosophy and has the ability to improve players from where they are now," he added. "That's something that'll be very important next season."

Oh dear,

How about:-

Would rather be a City legends dinner than 'working hard' on deadline day despite your team being in the :censored:...

Organised? Yep, 48 players brought in over 32 months suggests he never knew his best side, never attended youth or reserve games either

Picking players in right positions? Most used phrase amongst me and the circle of Latics fans I attend games with? Square pegs in round holes...

Enthusiastic? Standing with his arms folded, but brightens up once Sky want to interview him...

Improve players? There was one or two maybe, but most stagnated or went backwards during his time here

Hard-Working? Heard many examples of him not doing the the basics - scouting, delegating to clipboard boy etc...

Another thread on Dickov?

Other than discussing what bread he chooses for his Subway surely this has been done to death now?

Wait and see the threads that we ill appear if Doncaster are top of the championship after the first weekend of the season.

Wait and see the threads that we ill appear if Doncaster are top of the championship after the first weekend of the season.

I can say with some confidence even if they're top in February, Dickov will :censored: it up - the guy's clueless. He's only got the Donny job through personal friendship, once he fails there his managerial career will be over. He won't learn from his mistakes, he's too confident in his own (lack) of managerial ability.

Too much was made of his :censored: budget here, a :censored: budget doesn't influence fitness, training methods and tactical (in)ability. Stitch's budget was far worse, we didn't pay signing on fees for 6 years, yet his team whilst limited worked their bollocks off most weeks and played the right way. We scored from all areas and had a go. I saw very little of that in Dickov's last year….

“He’s very organised, very hard-working, very enthusiastic and he has a knack of picking the right players in the right position.

“It was important the new manager fitted in with our philosophy and has the ability to improve players from where they are now,” he added. “That’s something that’ll be very important next season.”

This is the kind of "say anything" bollocks I hate about modern football.

Akin to every time one of our 19th place in League 1 players leaves and is lauded as a "legend"

This is the kind of "say anything" bollocks I hate about modern football.

Akin to every time one of our 19th place in League 1 players leaves and is lauded as a "legend"

The only one who will go down as legend will be Matt Smith, only because of those goals in the FA Cup. Scott Vernon and Gary Mac are in that bracket purely because of those goals. Their havent been many legends in a long time in the league!

On Dickov I saw something that said something along the lines of 'Dickov steered Oldham to 16th and 17th in his 1st 2 seasons, which was nothing short of a miracle on the playing budget he was given'. Errrm we finished something like 5th, 10th and then were top half all season under Shez, Dickov took us a long way backwards, on a similar budget. The miracle was he lasted so long.

On Dickov I saw something that said something along the lines of 'Dickov steered Oldham to 16th and 17th in his 1st 2 seasons, which was nothing short of a miracle on the playing budget he was given'. Errrm we finished something like 5th, 10th and then were top half all season under Shez, Dickov took us a long way backwards, on a similar budget. The miracle was he lasted so long.

We were already backwards from Penney's reign when Dickov came in.

Anyway, what Eyres42 said above. Why does this need a new thread?

Haha!

No.

I seem to remember you moaning about the budget last close season and how we were certs to go down.

Correct me if i'm wrong

Yes, I had with issues with the budget but not in the context of it affecting Dickov's managerial abilities. Which is separate imo, no matter how :censored: the budget was perceived to be we shouldn't have been struggling to the extent we were.

The only one who will go down as legend will be Matt Smith,

No, he's not.

Andy Ritchie is a legend.

Roger Palmer, John Sheridan, Joe Royle etc....

Matt Smith was a largely crap player who somehow produced a bit of magic in two cup games and a solid last few games of his time at Oldham.

Good luck to him but, he's nowhere near legend status (or "ledge" as he'd call it)

Edited by HarryBosch

Yes, I had with issues with the budget but not in the context of it affecting Dickov's managerial abilities. Which is separate imo, no matter how :censored: the budget was perceived to be we shouldn't have been struggling to the extent we were.

I'm confused

In October in the Howard Sheffield after his last minute equaliser I remember saying:

"Matt smith deserves a chance, he wont get it and this is as good as it gets for him"

I was wrong...

OLE OLE!!

No, he's not.

Matt Smith was a largely crap player who somehow produced a bit of magic in two cup games and a solid last few games of his time at Oldham.

Good luck to him but, he's nowhere near legend status (or "ledge" as he'd call it)

It's a historical anomaly but the in ten or twenty years people will be talking of our win over Liverpool as being the stuff of legend and should we find ourselves in a big cup tie at that time, the shirkers who followed up that win with a 3-1 defeat at Wallsall will be interviewed as the heroes of yesteryear. There may even be an on-screen caption that says "Latics Legend" and such will be the effect of the passage of time, it won't even be asterisked with a note to say that we "Finished 19th after avoiding relegation by dropping this c*nt".

For what it's worth, I liked Smith and thought he'd done a great job since getting a run from the New Year onwards. One paced of course but his control and centre forward play was improving - you could see that he'd been trying to improve himself. For that reason alone, I think he deserves any success coming his way.

The next book on pasts Latics players will probably give him a third of a page - same as Frankie Bunn (who wasn't immune from getting a bit of stick as well) whereas the likes of Ritchie would rightly get their own chapter, in colour.

No, he's not.

I was thinking about this, prompted by "your" tweets about it. Matt Smith is probably most akin to this generations Neal Redfearn. Neither of whom are true legends but because of their link to some very important bits of Latics history they are above mere also-rans. Gary McDonald and Scott Vernon are in the same category too. Perhaps a good description would be cult-hero, mainstays of the pinch-me years are probably at worst cult-heroes. Only a few personnel should ever obtain true legend status, for otherwise their legend gets diminished, but I heartily agree that Matt Smith is not a legend.

I'd be tempted to write more on this topic but I fear it doesn't warrant a new thread (fairly certain there's an old one knocking about anyway) and I don't think it warrants continued discussion on my part in this one.

Legend v legendary moments.

Agreed, I assumed legendary would mean a great person in our history. He provided the legendary moment, will always be remembered for it, and the pictures will always be published of him scoring every time we play in the FA Cup. People still sing Scott Vernons name, along with the likes of Roger Palmer, and Im pretty sure we will still sing Ole Ole in years to come. Different scenraios but still will be held in high acclaim by Latics fans in the future.

I was thinking about this, prompted by "your" tweets about it. Matt Smith is probably most akin to this generations Neal Redfearn. Neither of whom are true legends but because of their link to some very important bits of Latics history they are above mere also-rans. Gary McDonald and Scott Vernon are in the same category too. Perhaps a good description would be cult-hero, mainstays of the pinch-me years are probably at worst cult-heroes. Only a few personnel should ever obtain true legend status, for otherwise their legend gets diminished, but I heartily agree that Matt Smith is not a legend.

I'd be tempted to write more on this topic but I fear it doesn't warrant a new thread (fairly certain there's an old one knocking about anyway) and I don't think it warrants continued discussion on my part in this one.

This is what I meant! He's not a legend in the state that hes our record top scorer/appearance maker/best player ever, but he provided some of the best moments in our recent history, and given Ive only been watching for 18seasons, Ive not had many opportunities to pick out many 'legends'. So maybe hes a cult hero, to me who never got to see the legends of this club, hes probably just a little bit above that.