Is this Dickov?

I was thinking about this, prompted by "your" tweets about it. Matt Smith is probably most akin to this generations Neal Redfearn. Neither of whom are true legends but because of their link to some very important bits of Latics history they are above mere also-rans. Gary McDonald and Scott Vernon are in the same category too. Perhaps a good description would be cult-hero, mainstays of the pinch-me years are probably at worst cult-heroes. Only a few personnel should ever obtain true legend status, for otherwise their legend gets diminished, but I heartily agree that Matt Smith is not a legend.

I'd be tempted to write more on this topic but I fear it doesn't warrant a new thread (fairly certain there's an old one knocking about anyway) and I don't think it warrants continued discussion on my part in this one.

He's a McDonald or a Vernon, sure. But he's no Redfearn.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a McDonald or a Vernon, sure. But he's no Redfearn.

Was going to say let's not put Smith in Redfearn's bracket.

Aside from an icing on the cake penalty he also won more points and scored more goals for us in our Championship season than our entire defence and midfield put together this season.

No, he's not.

Andy Ritchie is a legend.

Roger Palmer, John Sheridan, Joe Royle etc....

Matt Smith was a largely crap player who somehow produced a bit of magic in two cup games and a solid last few games of his time at Oldham.

Good luck to him but, he's nowhere near legend status (or "ledge" as he'd call it)

Beat me to that post.

One of the most over-used terms is 'legend'.

None of this lot even come close; and none have for a good while

Yes, I had with issues with the budget but not in the context of it affecting Dickov's managerial abilities. Which is separate imo, no matter how :censored: the budget was perceived to be we shouldn't have been struggling to the extent we were.

If I could be arsed, I would find the posts that you aimed at me after Brentford a year ago on the Tuesday night, Paul...

Just out of curiosity, who do people think our last playing legend was then?

I'd say Sheridan, for near enough single-handedly keeping us in this division under Ritchie. But for a couple of exceptions, we had a dreadful bunch of players playing around him.

I'd say Sheridan, for near enough single-handedly keeping us in this division under Ritchie. But for a couple of exceptions, we had a dreadful bunch of players playing around him.

On that basis, Paul Murray?

Dickov says in his interview that he likes to bring young players through!!!! Mellor, Winchester, Tarkowski, Millar ??? All left to flounder in the reserves.

I thought tarky has played something like 4o games?

Mellor & Winchester were brought into the first team - but certainly didn't make a continued claim to be in it until recently when they'd hard the hard word from both philiskirk and LJ?

Love the link between smith n redfearn , classic stuff that .

Redfearn was outstanding in the promotion season , would have been possibly our greatest central midfielder if he had stayed .

How many goals did he get? Was it 18?

My favourite player that season.

The Collins dictionary definition of legend, does Smith or any from the past meet this criteria ?

a popular story handed down from earlier times whose truth has not been ascertained

a group of such storiesthe Arthurian legend

a modern story that has taken on the characteristics of a traditional legendary tale

a person whose fame or notoriety makes him a source of exaggerated or romanticized tales or exploits

an inscription or title, as on a coin or beneath a coat of arms

explanatory matter accompanying a table, map, chart, etc

a story of the life of a saint

a collection of such stories

Edited by BP1960

Smith takes centre stage in some fantastic memories last season, and whilst the results he played a part in are stuff of legend, He will never be a Latics legend whilst I have a hole in my arse….

Edited by oafcprozac

So am I right in thinking that anyone too young to witness the good times of the late 80s early 90s is not allowed to give any players legendary status? ;)

I'd make that anyone not old enough to remember Bobby Johnstone....