Capital One Cup Admission

Well done to the club! £10 adults, £5 Concessions, unlike what I thought would be full league prices. They've given derby the large section of the RRE and closed the small section, meaning that if the club do well marketing and advertising for the first home game of the season, a decent attendance and some money in the coffers with a good atmosphere in the Chaddy and Main hopefully.

Good decision for what sadly has become a nothing competition - given me some great nights over the years so sad to see teams playing weakened teams on what used to be a real showpiece competition.

Bradford proved how exciting and lucrative it can be if teams take it seriously. They were 90 minutes away from Europe.

Good decision for what sadly has become a nothing competition - given me some great nights over the years so sad to see teams playing weakened teams on what used to be a real showpiece competition.

For what seemed like an age, we drew Leeds or Everton season after season. I remember a belter in 1986 I think, 4-2 v Leeds. I think our scorers were Gary Williams; Glenn Keeley; Denis Irwin free kick; Tommy Wright from the narrowest of angles. Shez played for them & Bob Taylor scored 1. Great game, great competition!

86-87 round 2 beat Leeds 4-2 on Agg. 3-2 at BP was 2-0 down. 1-0 at ER

87-88 Round 3 dew 2-2 at ER 2-0 down with 10 mins left - Wright and a late late Williams pen. Replay won 4-2 AET

Round 4 L1-2 at Everton - who were the reigning champs of England. Irwin gave us the lead behire a late Neil Adams winner sent Everton through

88-89 Round 3 drew 1-1 at Goodison with a late stitch equaliser. Replay narrowly lost 2-0 after a late Cottee brace

89-90 round 2 beat leads 2-1 H & A 4-2 on Agg

89-90 Epic 5th round FAC tie v Everton

90-91 Round 3 Leeds beat us 2-0 at ER in Rumblelows Cup 3rd Round

91-92 lost 3-2 at Everton in the ZDS

94-95 lost 3-2 at ER in the FAC 4th Round

05/06 lost 0-2 in CC 1st round. Ricketts scored 1st goal

07-08 FAC 3 won at Everton

09-10 lost 2-0 to Leeds FAC 1

12/13 took Everton to a 5th round FAC replay

Uncanny how teams seem to attract one another - Scouse Latic is convinced we'll get another crack at Liverpool this season.....

Edited by oafcprozac

Over the last 27 years almost a 1 in 2 chance of us playing either Leeds or Everton in a cup tie. Uncanny that one or the other has come out of the hat no less than 13 times between them.... Liverpool 4 times in 28 years. United 3 times & City only the once!

For what seemed like an age, we drew Leeds or Everton season after season. I remember a belter in 1986 I think, 4-2 v Leeds. I think our scorers were Gary Williams; Glenn Keeley; Denis Irwin free kick; Tommy Wright from the narrowest of angles. Shez played for them & Bob Taylor scored 1. Great game, great competition!

that game is one of my first memorys as a Latics fan, Irwins free kick especially.

I also think the game was on tv later that night, when they used to show games outside the top flight on its own due to it being a good fixture.

Boundary Park was always amazing for night games back then, great atmosphere.

Edited by palmer1

Remember some good games against Derby in cup competitions. Played them in 1991 in Round 3 of the Rumblelows Cup, we went behind late on in the first half. Roger Palmer came off the bench with a 1/4 of the game left, he had played only in his testimonial after picking an injury up in the promotion run in. Typically with his first touch in around 6 months and 20 seconds after entering the field we were level. Graeme Sharp nicked a late winner.

Fast forward to 1994 and another Cup tie, this time in the FAC, The Rams were holding us comfortably and leading thanks to Tommy Johnson's goal, another sub - this time Darren Beckford who had not played since injuring his ankle in smuggling home the winner at Chelsea three months earlier - slid in to level within a couple of minutes of coming on. A late Rick Holden strike saw Latics into the hat.

And of course the cracker of a night at Pride Park in the 2nd round in 2002, where Clyde Wijhard's Extra-Time penalty clinched a 3rd round tie and more cup glory at West Ham.

Edited by oafcprozac

that game is one of my first memorys as a Latics fan, Irwins free kick especially.

I also think the game was on tv later that night, when they used to show games outside the top flight on its own due to it being a good fixture.

Boundary Park was always amazing for night games back then, great atmosphere.

Yeah, the highlights were on SportsNight Latics who were without a Shirt Sponsor so far that season, commissioned a hastily agreed deal with 'Health First' to appear on their shirts just for that game. It wasn't until the Spurs game later that season that 'Martins' (Became Lookers) appeared on their shirts for the rest of that season.

88-89 Round 3 drew 1-1 at Goodison with a late stitch equaliser. Replay narrowly lost 2-0 after a late Cottee brace

....and it's for this game that I refuse to sing 'what a waste of money' to an opposition player. Cottee had not long since moved to Goodison for a hefty fee and had looked abject. The Chaddy End chirped and the little f*cker scored 2 quick goals!