Macc friendly

Oxley - Impressed me today, good handling, couple of decent stops where he got strong hands to the ball. Goal was a deflection he had no chance with

Brown - Again tried pushing on as v Curzon, not as gung-ho against opposition higher up the Pyramid

Tarky - Outstanding, should have bagged himself two goals, but vocal, won his headers and tackled well

Mellor - Looked much more assured at CB than previously, won a couple of good challenges when danger was brewing. Distribution was excellent

Grounds - Pushed on, classy

Dayton - Very good delivery on him, looked to take his man on

Smith - More vocal than previously seen and pushed us on 2nd half, once Wes exited

Wes - Keep saying it, not what we need. Looked so much better in the second half

Monty - Superb, dangerous all afternoon. Two cracking finishes and so far LJ has a headache as it has to be Monty, then a choice between Sid or Dayton

Rooney - Didn't think he was too great first half, second half looked mush more of a threat. Despatched his penalty with consummate ease and was unlucky not to make it a brace before subbed.

JCH - Pace, raw power and a couple of very good strikes. I like his reading and anticpation. He gambles and it has already won us 2 penalties in pre-season.

Subs:

Rodgers - Tidy enough, but again it does seem LJ wants two holding midfielders. Look much better when Smith gets licence to push on.

Baxter - Much more like his old self, perhaps he was rough Monday night

Belezika - ONly on 9 minutes

McDonald - One good chance where he fell over in front of goal

Schmeltz - Will get bums off seats if he gets in behind

Byrne - Received a knock shortly after coming on, looked ok and played on.

First half we looked a threat early doors but became bogged down deep in midfield. JCH looked a threat in behind, we looked dangerous from set-pieces but seemed guilty of overhitting crosses or hitting them too hard in open play with the ball fizzing in too quickly for strikers to react. Macc increased in confidence and their goal was a decent effort aided by a big deflection. After that we rarely threatened although Tarky could have scored a couple with free headers from set-pieces.

Second Half Wes is brought off and Rodgers comes on, again it looked as though we were still going with the holding midfielders but JCH's pace got us back on terms quickly with a penalty buried by Rooney. From then on it was all Latics, Rodgers sat in, on the halfway line. Mellor brought the ball out of defence well and Monty had a 15 minute spell where he was unplayable. Baxter coming on helped as his tendency to float draws players out of position giving room in behind and allowing both defence and midfield to step up. All in all disappointed with the first half but second half was much better. Macc where not here to roll over, time and again they left their foot in and were aided and abetted by a very lenient ref.

More of the same in an attacking sense at Accy please…...

Prozac covered mostly of what I thought at the game. If we sign Rooney, then for once scoring goals shouldn't be a problem we the attacking talent we now have. Not convinced about Mellor at CB, but he does want to bring the ball out and play football rather than aimless hoofs. Monty should be starting the season on the left, leaving Dayton and Schmeltz to battle it out for RM. Not sure about what will be our strongest forward line though, Rooney and JCH looked impressive especially in the second half, then Baxter and Macdonald looked good aswell. A dilemma for Johnson, but at good one!

Still need a CB, and then if the budget allows I'd look to bring a RB in unless Brown can improve quickly. Perhaps a CM aswell, as I don't think Wes is able to play the way Johnson wants to, and we looked noticeably better after he went off at HT.

If wes can't play the way johnson wants then he won't be a regular starter simple as that I could not go today but it sounds as if we payed with more of a threat when he was taken off and Rodgers came on ? We had the same problem when weslowski and furman payed together no forward passing

If wes can't play the way johnson wants then he won't be a regular starter simple as that I could not go today but it sounds as if we payed with more of a threat when he was taken off and Rodgers came on ? We had the same problem when weslowski and furman payed together no forward passing

Yup second half was an improvement. Tbh hardly noticed Rodgers, but when I did notice him he just kept it simple with passes to the nearest available player but he did allow Smith to push forwards more. Thinking back to my previous post, Mellor might well be ok at CB, as he is almost like a third CM in the team. Need to improve more defensively if we was to continue playing Mellor there.

Prozac covered mostly of what I thought at the game. If we sign Rooney, then for once scoring goals shouldn't be a problem we the attacking talent we now have. Not convinced about Mellor at CB, but he does want to bring the ball out and play football rather than aimless hoofs. Monty should be starting the season on the left, leaving Dayton and Schmeltz to battle it out for RM. Not sure about what will be our strongest forward line though, Rooney and JCH looked impressive especially in the second half, then Baxter and Macdonald looked good aswell. A dilemma for Johnson, but at good one!

Still need a CB, and then if the budget allows I'd look to bring a RB in unless Brown can improve quickly. Perhaps a CM aswell, as I don't think Wes is able to play the way Johnson wants to, and we looked noticeably better after he went off at HT.

I thought Brown looked fine again today.

Edited by BP1960

So in 3 games jch has played in he has won 2 pens! Hope that continues throughout the season

He will win lots of pens, has a terrific burst of pace into the penalty area, think I'd prefer Rooney taking any pens to Baxter though.

Edited by BP1960