Do the numbers on their backs mean anything

Now I may be reading too much into this but the past seasons we seem to have had a death number. The unlucky player to get number 17 has had played shocking. I noticed it 4 years ago when keegan Parker was given 17, the next season was warren feeney and the next josh Parker. Is it just me so it got me thinking have we had any decent number 17s down the years

To be fair, in most cases someone with the number 17 shirt isn't going to be expected to be a star, assuming 1 to 11 are reserved for your intended best XI. In my mind the higher numbered players that do well tend to be late signings, loans, unexpected youth successes who keep their numbers, or players with funny ideas on numbers (1+7=8 when you already have a number 8).

Edited by Crusoe

To be fair, in most cases someone with the number 17 shirt isn't going to be expected to be a star, assuming 1 to 11 are reserved for your intended best XI. In my mind the higher numbered players that do well tend to be late signings, loans, unexpected youth successes who keep their numbers, or players with funny ideas on numbers (1+7=8 when you already have a number 8).

Baxter's quite low down the pecking order? *places tongue firmly in cheek

Are you trying to say that Feeney was never our star?!

Ha! Indeed.

Baxter like Eyres for me is one of those exceptions that proves the rule. Of course if you have a Barry Fry style manager and get through 40 players a season my theory goes out of the window...

Edited by Crusoe