three division split anyone ?

I got a program on tues night and found a very interesting piece proposing a 3 division regional split for the lower leagues.

ie , north ,midlands and south instead of leagues one and two .

three teams to be relegated from championship

three regional champions promoted.

travel costs would be slashed (no overnight accomadation required )

bigger crowds by virtue of the derby factor

a good conference club presently needs 4 promotions to get to premier league , a div 2 club needs 3

with regional divisions you can be there in 2 promotions

3 divisions of approx. 20 teams (div1 , div 2 & conference )

northern league would look something like this

1 Accrington

2 Bradford

3 bury

4 Carlisle

5 crewe

6 Fleetwood

7 Grimsby

8 Hartlepool

9 lincoln

10 gateshead

11 macc

12morecombe

13 latics

14 preston

15 Rochdale

16 rotheram

17 Scunthorpe

18 sheff utd

19 trannys

20 Wrexham

21 York

you can look at the program yourself for midlands and southern division ( use imagination )

there could be tinkering for clubs like chesterfield in regards to are they north or midlands for example

there could be a play off format between the leagues to allow a fourth club to be promoted if 4 came down from championship

bigger crowds , less travel costs better away trips ie Tuesday

what do you mighty tics fans think ?

Its a nice idea but presents some practical difficulties. Straight off the bat as an example, taking this year's championship, what if Wednesday, Middlesbrough and Burnley are relegated? You could end up with Scunthorpe and Macclesfield in the midlands division. Now this might not initially be a problem, but over a few years it could make for some geographically skewed 'regional' divisions, with clubs such as Wrexham and York making trips in a 'regional' division to Shrewsbury and Hereford.

Edit: Additionally it would get bloody tedious seeing Latics slug it out with the same teams over and over again.

Edited by LaticsChris

One team goes up from the league?

Money will dominate still by that standard then. Chances for teams like Yeovil last season will be minimal.

the money team might go up but leave a more even playing field for next season . there are no guarentees that a money club wont come down of course but that's life now isn't it ?

if three northern teams were relegated adjust the midlands league by moving the three most southerly into south league ;

this type of system is used in spain and Germany

Of course this is what would happen, but this could end up with skewed divisions still, if northern teams have a rum few years in the championship there'll be more and more clubs being shunted south. I can't say that concerns me too much as I like the variety a national league gives, but if you want regionalisation it defeats the object.

Of course this is what would happen, but this could end up with skewed divisions still, if northern teams have a rum few years in the championship there'll be more and more clubs being shunted south. I can't say that concerns me too much as I like the variety a national league gives, but if you want regionalisation it defeats the object.

fair point chris but if we continue as we are could end up with a league of mainly southern clubs as we did a couple of years ago

I wonder if anyone has the time to work out how the promotions / relegations would have affected the 3 region idea over say the last 3 seasons .

this is just about floating ideas and getting opinions which everyone is entitled to .

don't anyone get shirty about it , its a FUN topic .

Would there be no relegation from these leagues, fi so where do they go?

No this ideas not for me. If only one team is promoted interest would soon be lost with the rest, and it would be very difficult to get out.

Would there be no relegation from these leagues, fi so where do they go?

No this ideas not for me. If only one team is promoted interest would soon be lost with the rest, and it would be very difficult to get out.

use your imagination mate . of course there would be relegation and promotions from lower leagues to freshen it up .

where do they go now ?

Another good point, as made by al_bro is that half the league would lose interest once they got marooned in mid-table. This is the reason the football league play-offs were introduced. So if we regionalise the divisions then we'd have to have promotion via playoffs to spice things up.

No no and no. Did i say no?

Its a good idea in theory but football doesnt follow logic rules. Effectively you would be relegating latics forcing them to play the likes of accrington york grimsby lincoln and fleetwood, instead of bristol wolves peterborough notts county etc. They wouldnt be able to charge 20 quid v those teams and interest would wain very quickly.

The answer is to give the football league some of its power back by distributing funds more evenly and giving clubs a fighting chance.

Sounds like a 9 month pre-season. Plus the gulf in quality to next level up would be huge. Your yeovils and dales can dream of reaching the third division and building from there, but would be total cannon fodder if put straight into through second division, not that they ever would be

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That would be a no - especially after my local non league side, 30 miles north of London ending up playing in the north for the last two seasons. Tuesday away at Blyth...!