Cutting edge ?

Think we have missed MacDonald being on the pitch in the last 2 games. He caused havoc at Stevenage and won us 2 penalties and then he scored a great goal today having only played 10 minutes. He needs to start next week.

Would LJ rest Baxter (who appears to be struggling with an injury) for MacDonald though ?

Edited by BP1960

It seems the Latics have been lacking a cutting edge in the last 3 games, will it all come good or are changes necessary ?

There were telling passes not anticipated. As the understanding between players grows I think it will come good.

Rooney concerns me, because while I can see a player in there he lacks a little bit of pace and, when the service isn't good (which it wasn't from wide yesterday) he doesn't seem to create much for himself. We haven't delivered many crosses on the floor to him - when we do I think he'll score lots.

McDonald doesn't enthuse me when he gets on the pitch but he does have real guile, an ability to get goal side of big defenders and win possession of high balls that he has no right to get. He also found the space to get onto the end of Brown's cross yesterday, space created by Montaño having done enough to get their full back Alcock substituted.

Clarke-Harris looked a beast in his cameos and I'd love to see him thrown into the mix when fit. He's the pace. He's our potential Assombalonga.

The biggest problem we had going forwards yesterday was that our wide pair were more than good enough to beat their man but didn't get enough quality crosses in. Maybe they hugged the touch line a bit too much - leaving Rooney isolated.

The 4-4-1-1 made us look more solid. Wes impressed me playing the deep role. I think Korey Smith is brilliant and will spring many a defence, as will a fit Baxter. An extra yard of pace in he channels and we can be competitive. JCH or the wide men can give us this and we will score goals if they do.

• 4 months later...

How many did we score on Tuesday?

We scored 4 but only 1 from open play.......Philliskirk and JCH are more than capable of creating scoring opportunities for themselves, however Rooney is not, he's had more than enough time to improve but I think he is pretty poor to be honest. He is slow, cumbersome, poor in the air and most of the time his first touch is bloody woeful.

He must be on a fair wedge here, and is probably our best paid player. I would try to get shut in January and use the money to strengthen the squad, however clubs will not exactly be queuing up for his services and I fear he will be here for the duration of his contract.

If we had brought in Leon Clarke instead of Rooney I think we could well have been up around the playoffs by now!

We scored 4 but only 1 from open play.......Philliskirk and JCH are more than capable of creating scoring opportunities for themselves, however Rooney is not, he's had more than enough time to improve but I think he is pretty poor to be honest. He is slow, cumbersome, poor in the air and most of the time his first touch is bloody woeful.

He must be on a fair wedge here, and is probably our best paid player. I would try to get shut in January and use the money to strengthen the squad, however clubs will not exactly be queuing up for his services and I fear he will be here for the duration of his contract.

If we had brought in Leon Clarke instead of Rooney I think we could well have been up around the playoffs by now!

Not sure who's worse. Me for writing it or you for quoting it!

9 goals in 9 home league games i think we have a problem, its all sounding like last year , its crap